BIKE NOISES your pet peeve and how did you get ride of it

Old August 24th 04, 08:25 PM
Polly

Default BIKE NOISES your pet peeve and how did you get ride of it

Hi

Well heres a brand new thread.
We have all had bike noises, some which we were able to get rid of of, some
which we werent. Lets talk about the ones that were annoying and finally we
truimphed over them.

I had one customers bike..worked perfectly except weird crank noise.. I was
sure he needed new cranks as I took them off cleaned them and reinstalled
them with a torque wrench still creak creak.

Well new cranks didnt solve it..
At some point I felt like ripping out my hair..
His bb was on the way out..so I replaced that, greased where the seat rails
are, replaced the pedals, put the old crank back on..made sure all the
chainring bolts are tight. I think after that
it was good but I guess i WAS HALLUcinating at that point and was unsure if
there was a noise still.. in fact I was sure I could see gnomes running
around the shop at that point..(thats another story the bike gnomes)

In any case the customer took it out and had a big smile on his face I was
almost in tears.. oh well..

Polly

Old August 24th 04, 08:39 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Polly wrote:

Hi

Well heres a brand new thread.
We have all had bike noises, some which we were able to get rid of of, some
which we werent. Lets talk about the ones that were annoying and finally we
truimphed over them.

I had one customers bike..worked perfectly except weird crank noise.. I was
sure he needed new cranks as I took them off cleaned them and reinstalled
them with a torque wrench still creak creak.

I currently have a creak on the touring bike when I push down on the
left pedal. I checked the crankbolts [1], removed and regreased the
pedal threads but it's still there. The BB will have to come out next.
Tedious.

[1] I don't make a habit of this - I check them 50 miles after fitting
then put the bolts in with threadlock. They were tight anyway.
Old August 24th 04, 09:24 PM
M-gineering

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I currently have a creak on the touring bike when I push down on the
left pedal. I checked the crankbolts [1], removed and regreased the
pedal threads but it's still there. The BB will have to come out next.

Is the cage firmly attached to the pedalbody?
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old August 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:25:47 -0400, "Polly"
wrote:

Hi

Well heres a brand new thread.
We have all had bike noises, some which we were able to get rid of of, some
which we werent. Lets talk about the ones that were annoying and finally we
truimphed over them.

Someone who shall remain nameless (you would not know this person,
trust me) kept griping about a creak in the rear wheel of the bike.

It sounded to me like there was a faint one in the BB, so I greased
and reinstalled it; I couldn't hear anything, but the rider said the
noise was still there. So, I did the lube-the-spoke-nipples thing,
figuring that perhaps it was a spoke creaking. Rider said it was
still there. I'm thinking "WTF?"; I pulled the chain off and swapped
it with one from a bike of mine that I knew had no noises. Rider says
the creak is still there. I go for a ride close beside the subject
bike and rider. A few minutes away from home, I know what the problem
is. I tell the rider that we need to swap bikes for a few minutes.
We do. A couple of minutes later, the rider says, "Hey your bike has
the exact same squeak."

It was the rider's fancy decorated leather belt creaking.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 24th 04, 10:15 PM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:57:33 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Dear Werehatrack,

Don't leave us in suspenders--er, suspense!

How did you fix the belt-creaking problem?

Was the belt buckle, despite your Texas locale, of
inadequate size, requiring an upgrade from a modest 4H
buckle to an overwhelming Rodeo model?

Or was a knee in the rider's belly, followed by a heave on
the saddle girth, so to speak, sufficient to stop the saddle
from creaking?

Or was fan-belt dressing sufficient to silence the noisy
personal support?

A careful reading of your poignant tale reveals no clues to
gender--no "he" or "his" in the expected places. I beg you
to defend the flower of Texas feminity from unfounded
suspicion and assert that this gut-busting, belt-creaking
mystery rider was a he, not a she.

Molly Ivins
Old August 25th 04, 12:24 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

M-gineering wrote in message ...
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

I currently have a creak on the touring bike when I push down on the
left pedal. I checked the crankbolts [1], removed and regreased the
pedal threads but it's still there. The BB will have to come out next.

Is the cage firmly attached to the pedalbody?

It's the cleat.

Trevor

Old August 25th 04, 01:14 AM
dianne_1234

wrote:

[...]

Customer asks for bb overhaul. Done. Customer picks up bike.

Customer comes back, says the creak is still there. "What creak?" We
look again, overhaul bb again, check various things. Several employees
test ride, can hear no creak. Customer picks up bike.

Customer comes back, says the creak is still there. "Obviously you
guys don't know what you're doing!" Storms out.

Six weeks later, customer comes back. On crutches. Apologizes for
being rude earlier. Says the creak was in her knee and she's
recovering from surgery...
Old August 25th 04, 03:43 AM
KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem

Try some silicon spray on your cleat and the pedal mechanism that holds the
cleat.
It's a lot less hassle than a new BB if it works. :-)

Old August 25th 04, 04:01 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:15:47 -0600, wrote:

How did you fix the belt-creaking problem?

I didn't. I just identified it to the rider and left the solution up
to the person involved.

Was the belt buckle, despite your Texas locale, of
inadequate size, requiring an upgrade from a modest 4H
buckle to an overwhelming Rodeo model?

It wasn't what I'd have called a Western belt. Those are generally
cut from a thick hide, in a single strap, and tooled. This was sewn
together from two layers of thinner hide. That's why it could squeak.

Or was a knee in the rider's belly, followed by a heave on
the saddle girth, so to speak, sufficient to stop the saddle
from creaking?

'Twarn't the gol-darned saddle what was raisin' the ruckus.

Or was fan-belt dressing sufficient to silence the noisy
personal support?

If that was what was used, I *do not* want to know. Nossir.

A careful reading of your poignant tale reveals no clues to
gender--no "he" or "his" in the expected places. I beg you
to defend the flower of Texas feminity from unfounded
suspicion and assert that this gut-busting, belt-creaking
mystery rider was a he, not a she.

Y'know. sometimes we just have to keep some things under our hats.
There's lots of folks out there who might - I say *might* - have some
inkling of who the victim of this wardrobe malfunction was, but I'll
be the last one to give another clue. It's just safer that way.

And no, Janet Jackson's Super Bowl wardrobe tailor was not involved in
the construction of the belt in question.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 25th 04, 10:23 AM
Dave Kahn

Werehatrack wrote in message . ..

It was the rider's fancy decorated leather belt creaking.

I had a faint chinking sound on my bike that was driving me mad. It
wasn't in time with the pedals or the wheels and I couldn't tell where
it was coming from. Some days it was there and some it wasn't. It was
only when I heard the same sound while riding another bike I realised
it was coming from me. It was the tag of the zip on my jersey bouncing
on the tag of the zip on my jacket.

--
Dave...