Practical to put new cogs on MF7400 7 speed DURA ACE Freewheel?

Old August 27th 04, 08:13 PM
daveornee

Default Practical to put new cogs on MF7400 7 speed DURA ACE Freewheel?

Is is practical to put new cogs on an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF740
freewheel?

I have an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400 freewheel with some broken an
bent teeth. The freewheel seems to function fine, but it is worthles
with it's current cogs. I know the days are gone when you walked int
a bicycle shop and they had a board full of different cogs. However,
still have a couple of good freewheel wheels and a couple of MF7400 DUR
ACE freewheels that seem to work well and last a long time.
Anywhere to go with an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400 freewheel to get ne
cogs?
I would like something like 13 - 26.
Ideas beyond doorstop or boat anchor

--
daveornee

Old August 27th 04, 09:53 PM

Good Luck finding DA freewheel cogs. A few possible sources (but don't
hold your breath):

www.lickbike.com

http://www.bicycleclassics.com/
http://www.vintagecyclestudios.com/index.html

http://www.cyclart.com/

Old August 27th 04, 11:26 PM
Mike Owens

Plenty of MF 7400 freewheels on Ebay. I recently looked out of the blue and
had 3 to choose from. Got a 6 speed 13-23 for ~$20.
-Mike

Old August 28th 04, 12:28 AM
Benjamin Weiner

daveornee wrote:

Is is practical to put new cogs on an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400
freewheel?

I have an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400 freewheel with some broken and
bent teeth. The freewheel seems to function fine, but it is worthless
with it's current cogs. I know the days are gone when you walked into
a bicycle shop and they had a board full of different cogs. However, I
still have a couple of good freewheel wheels and a couple of MF7400 DURA
ACE freewheels that seem to work well and last a long time.
Anywhere to go with an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400 freewheel to get new
cogs?
I would like something like 13 - 26.
Ideas beyond doorstop or boat anchor?

FWIW, Uniglide-era freewheel cogs from Shimano 600 and cheaper lines
of Uniglide FW are compatible with the Dura-Ace MF-7400 body.

Old August 28th 04, 04:17 AM
Jeff Wills

daveornee wrote in message ...
Is is practical to put new cogs on an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400
freewheel?

I have an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400 freewheel with some broken and
bent teeth. The freewheel seems to function fine, but it is worthless
with it's current cogs. I know the days are gone when you walked into
a bicycle shop and they had a board full of different cogs. However, I
still have a couple of good freewheel wheels and a couple of MF7400 DURA
ACE freewheels that seem to work well and last a long time.
Anywhere to go with an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400 freewheel to get new
cogs?
I would like something like 13 - 26.
Ideas beyond doorstop or boat anchor?

Loose Screws still lists individual cogs for Dura-Ace 7-speed
freewheels: http://www.loosescrews.com . I'd be willing to bet that
Euro-Asia still has some that your dealer can buy. Pricey either way.

Jeff

Old August 28th 04, 08:47 PM
Dave Mayer

"daveornee" wrote in
message ...

Is is practical to put new cogs on an old DURA ACE 7 speed MF7400
freewheel?

David: go into a bike store and buy a few Shimano HG22 freewheels. $15
each. Here is an example:

http://bethelcycle.com/site/page.cfm...=65&SKU=FW8125

Put it a vise. Crack the lockring with a punch or flat blade screwdriver -
its a standard right-hand thread. Take off the Upper 5 cogs and throw away
everything else - do not use the new spacers. Use these to replace the
upper 5 cogs on your Dura-Ace 7400 freewheel.

Since these cogs are Hyperglide and each cog is oriented in a specific
position relative to the other, be careful how you align these on
re-installation.

BTW: one of the 13 or so splines on each of these cogs needs to be filed to
make it fit on the Dura-Ace body. A few minutes with a flat file will fix
that.

On the upside, since the new cogs are Hyperglide, they will shift much
better than the originals.