tig serotta

Old September 2nd 04, 11:31 PM
Peter Rowe

Default tig serotta

Am looking around for a lugged steel frame. Saw the following (older)
post on rec.bicycles.marketplace:

53cm Serotta colorado tig, 53.5TT, with EMS fork, king HS, $350, w/o
$250.

Can anyone help me understand what the tig means? I assume it's a
kind of weld.

Peter
Old September 2nd 04, 11:43 PM
Frank

"Peter Rowe" wrote in message
m...
Am looking around for a lugged steel frame. Saw the following (older)
post on rec.bicycles.marketplace:

53cm Serotta colorado tig, 53.5TT, with EMS fork, king HS, $350, w/o
$250.

Can anyone help me understand what the tig means? I assume it's a
kind of weld.

Peter

Here is a site on TIG welding...lots of info out there.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/tigbasic1.htm

Old September 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
Weisse Luft

TIG welding IS hotter than brazing but the heat source is much mor
concentrated resulting in a smaller heat affected zone than brazing.
It is better suited for steels which air harden (Rey. 853) and fo
tubesets which are butted (most high grades).

Steel is easily welded with this process (and its used for Ti and Al).
If the steel TIG weld is an object of beauty, the chances are great tha
the weld is sound, unlike Ti and Al where beautiful welds can be of lo
quality and ugly welds can be acceptable

--
Weisse Luft

Old September 3rd 04, 11:09 PM
Steve Palincsar

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:10:23 -0400, Bill Lloyd wrote:

A Serotta Colorado TG is an excellent frame, I rode one for 5 years.
It's reasonably light (probably less than 4 lbs in a 53 cm) and it's
strong (I don't know of any systemic problems with weld-related
failures). It's a cheaper way to make a bike than lugs or fillet
brazing, so you're giving up a bit of "panache" for a bike that's just
as functional and less expensive to make.

But not any less expensive to purchase...