Basic headlight recommendation needed

Old September 22nd 04, 09:56 PM
Kovie

Default Basic headlight recommendation needed

I need to buy a basic, low-cost headlight for my road bike for occasional
use when I'm out longer than expected and have to ride home in dark and
near-dark conditions. So, it doesn't have to be super rugged or last for 10
hours, just be reasonably well-made, put out a decent beam that will be seen
by other cyclists, pedestrians and cars, and last several hours. I'd also
like to spend no more than $50, and preferably closer to half that.

I've been considering the following, available for the indicated prices
online:

CatEye HL-EL120 ($15)
CatEye HL-EL200 ($20)
Planet Bike Dual Spot ($20)
Planet Bike Super Spot 1 ($25)
CatEye Compact Opticube ($27)
CatEye HL-EL300 ($30)
CatEye HL-EL500 ($50)

Any recommendations? Will any of these put out a strong enough beam to
illuminate an unlit road or bike path?

Also, how important is it to have both flashing and steady modes? Is one
mode preferable to another, and if so under what conditions?

Thanks!

Kovie
zen

Old September 22nd 04, 10:37 PM
AC 1

CatEye HL-EL120 ($15)
CatEye HL-EL200 ($20)
Planet Bike Dual Spot ($20)
Planet Bike Super Spot 1 ($25)
CatEye Compact Opticube ($27)
CatEye HL-EL300 ($30)
CatEye HL-EL500 ($50)

I just bought the Nite Hawk Emitter. It uses a Luxeon 1 watt LED. Takes 4
AAs and has a run time of 9hrs. I use my Emitter on walking trails during
the evening and was surprised by the amount of light this thing has. It's a
very white light. This would be good for commuting and easy trails. They
also have a Helmet version with a handle bar mount option included. I have
to agree with the emitter specs when they claim its as bright as a 10 watt
halogen bulb and has a whiter light.
http://www.nite-hawk.com/bikeemitter.html

Old September 22nd 04, 11:02 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:56:22 +0000, Kovie wrote:

Any recommendations? Will any of these put out a strong enough beam to
illuminate an unlit road or bike path?

I have a Planet Bike Super Spot (for which I paid considerably more than
$25, sigh). It's great for being seen, but not so great for seeing on a
dark road. I use it as a backup to my NightRider (I also use it as my
general-purpose flashlight; as that, it is the best flashlight I have ever
had). The Nightrider literally outshines the Planet Bike light by far.
It is enough to not only see what is on the road, but to get respect on
the road. Drivers think you are on a motorcycle, which for some reason
gets you more right-of-way. Maybe there is more belief that you can
actually dent their fancy car, which has more impact than just
letting them know there is another human being on the roadway. Sigh.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

Old September 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

I need to buy a basic, low-cost headlight for my road bike
for occasional use when I'm out longer than expected and
have to ride home in dark and near-dark conditions.

I use two of these:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=12783

Old September 23rd 04, 06:13 AM
Collin

Kovie wrote:
I need to buy a basic, low-cost headlight for my road bike for occasional
use when I'm out longer than expected and have to ride home in dark and
near-dark conditions. So, it doesn't have to be super rugged or last for 10
hours, just be reasonably well-made, put out a decent beam that will be seen
by other cyclists, pedestrians and cars, and last several hours. I'd also
like to spend no more than $50, and preferably closer to half that.

I've been considering the following, available for the indicated prices
online:

CatEye HL-EL120 ($15)
CatEye HL-EL200 ($20)
Planet Bike Dual Spot ($20)
Planet Bike Super Spot 1 ($25)
CatEye Compact Opticube ($27)
CatEye HL-EL300 ($30)
CatEye HL-EL500 ($50)

I can vouch for the EL500. It lasts a long time and lets cars know you
are there. However, it's not very bright if you ride fast on very dark
roads. I switched to a Nighthawk emitter which kicks ass! Both units
have battery packs which make a rattling sound, if you're a nut about
quiet riding.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:59 AM
Lewis Campbell

"Kovie" wrote in message news:WFl4d.4867$He1.3790@attbi_s01...
[...]

*************************************

I use a CatEye HL-EL500 and I am really pleased with it.

The CatEye HL-EL300 is also pretty good and probably better to be
'seen' with but it does put out a decent amount of light to see by.

Lewis.

***********************
Old September 23rd 04, 01:51 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Kovie- I need to buy a basic, low-cost headlight for my road bike for
occasional
use when I'm out longer than expected and have to ride home in dark and
near-dark conditions. BRBR

EL-500 from Cateye, really nice unit and about $45.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 23rd 04, 03:52 PM
Richard Amirault

"Kovie" wrote...
I need to buy a basic, low-cost headlight for my road bike for occasional
use when I'm out longer than expected and have to ride home in dark and
near-dark conditions. So, it doesn't have to be super rugged or last for 10
hours, just be reasonably well-made, put out a decent beam that will be
seen by other cyclists, pedestrians and cars, and last several hours. I'd
also like to spend no more than $50, and preferably closer to half that.

I like the Nite Hawk Raptor .. a 10w light that lasts for 2.5 hrs for $40
at Nashbar

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Old September 23rd 04, 06:15 PM
g.daniels

equinox!! the days grow short. do they ever!
i have a
Cateye EL300 Gigamax Headlight
onsale at $25. this light works.
works good. covers the ground. i can see at an afordable bottom line
price.
the bottom line is SPEND MONEY!!
second! use the lights!
getta nashbar or photon blinkie!!!!! front end amber, rear tiny
flash-carry in your pocket!! for the near dusk ride. i have frequent
roadside comments on the amber front blinkie.
i have an aluminum strap at the rear running outa the rack: goes on
and off.
hols a reg blinkee and the cateye wide bar taillight stacked!!
when seen from a distance, the wide bar mimics a patrol car top bar
wal and your super duper sells dayglo poster paper in blaze orange one
side-dayglo yellow the reverse. tape on clothing and the rack or rack
bag with a white plastic background.
Old September 23rd 04, 06:46 PM
R.White

Collin wrote in message . com...
Kovie wrote:
[...]

The Emitter is on sale at Nashbar for $39.99 usd.