Pearl Izumi Zephrr fabric

Old September 22nd 04, 11:28 PM
Roy Gordon

Default Pearl Izumi Zephrr fabric

Pearl says:

"Zephrr® fabric is wind resistant, water repellent and extremely
breathable"

I'm confused over "water repellent", Pearl seems to distinguish this from
"water resistent".

But, then, does "water repellent" mean the same as waterproof? As having
the same effect at Gore-tex or another such laminate? For example, as
Pear's own eVent laminate, found in their more expensive windbreakers.

Couldn't find anything on their website that provided an explanation. I
sent them an email but so far no response.

Does anyone know?

TIA.

Roy
Old September 23rd 04, 12:12 AM

Roy Gordon wrote:

I'm confused over "water repellent", Pearl seems to distinguish this from
"water resistent".

It's in between water resistant and waterproof. They are probably
referring to one of a number of standardized tests used for fabrics.
Unfortunately, there is no international standard so the terms are vague
unless the exact test is cited. Generally there is an inverse
relationship between water resistance and breathability so you have to
decide where you want to be on the scale.
Old September 23rd 04, 12:46 AM
Peter Cole

"Roy Gordon" wrote in message
. ..
Pearl says:

"Zephrr® fabric is wind resistant, water repellent and extremely
breathable"

I'm confused over "water repellent", Pearl seems to distinguish this from
"water resistent".

But, then, does "water repellent" mean the same as waterproof? As having
the same effect at Gore-tex or another such laminate? For example, as
Pear's own eVent laminate, found in their more expensive windbreakers.

Couldn't find anything on their website that provided an explanation. I
sent them an email but so far no response.

Does anyone know?

Zephrr is "DWR" or Durable Water Resistant, which means it has a sprayed-on
coating that provides some degree of water repellency until you wash it a
few times. Of course if you don't wash it, it will develop "synthetic
stink" rather quickly. You can re-treat it with DWR sprays and, as they
say: lather, rinse, repeat. "Extremely breathable" is also a big of a
reach. Any "wind resistant" jacket becomes a swamp when you start riding
hard.

Old September 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
Alan

Take a look at the jackets from Showers Pass at:

http://showerspass.com/cart/product_...bb598c51499f28

I have a Burley jacket and the Showers Pass jacket is much better. The
eVent fabric is amazing. I tried it on a rainy ride this spring and it was
great. I'm not looking forward to winter but this jacket will make it much
easier.

Alan
. ..

Old September 23rd 04, 03:01 AM
rosco

"Alan" wrote in message
news
Take a look at the jackets from Showers Pass at:

http://showerspass.com/cart/product_...bb598c51499f28

I have a Burley jacket and the Showers Pass jacket is much better. The
eVent fabric is amazing. I tried it on a rainy ride this spring and it

was
great. I'm not looking forward to winter but this jacket will make it

much
easier.

Alan
"Roy Gordon" wrote in message
. ..
Pearl says:

"Zephrr® fabric is wind resistant, water repellent and extremely
breathable"

I'm confused over "water repellent", Pearl seems to distinguish this

from
"water resistent".

But, then, does "water repellent" mean the same as waterproof? As having
the same effect at Gore-tex or another such laminate? For example, as
Pear's own eVent laminate, found in their more expensive windbreakers.

Couldn't find anything on their website that provided an explanation. I
sent them an email but so far no response.

Does anyone know?

TIA.

Roy

Also using an eVENT fabric based jacket by Lowe Alpine. The fabric seems to
work as advertised so far. eVENT is actually not a Pearl Izumi invention,
but the work of BHA Technologies (now owned by General Electric).