Road Observations

Old September 24th 04, 05:41 AM
Badger_South

Default Road Observations

You really don't realize just what morons are behind the wheel until you've
biked on the road for a while.

Today, a guy in a large old model caddy, comes up to the main road in a
sleepy neighborhood intersection, hesitates for a second, and doesn't even
look right or left at the stop sign. He just pulls out, eyes half closed.
It occurred to me that many people don't even look when they pull out,
thinking 'I've got the biggest car around here, and if I pull out slowly
enough, anyone coming will just slow or stop for me - so I don't even need
to look'.

At another intersection, again in a sleepy neighborhood bordering on a
low-use industrial area, a huge moving van roars up the side street I'm on,
beside me, and a cement mixer comes up to the intersection from his right.

The moving van is virtually taking up the whole road, and both roads are
uphill to the intersection. He clearly sees the cement mixer truck and that
guy sees him, but they continue to go forwards and it becomes obvious that
the cement mixer wants to turn left into the road completely taken up by
the moving van. Neither is going to back up.

Meanwhile, I'm cranking up the steep hill, a 10% grade, going slower and
slower thinking 'gee guys make up your minds if you have one'.

But they never do. Well, I'm not gonna be able to go further b/c I'll
either get right hooked to the right (with the only clear space), or if I
go left to the side of the moving van the cement driver will try to squeeze
by him up on the sidewalk.

And...THAT's exactly what he does!

Fortunately, by that time, I'm off the bike and pushing it up the hill
half-way in the yard of the residence, shaking my head and laughing.

-B

Old September 24th 04, 05:49 AM
Badger_South

Oops, sorry, posted in the wrong ng.

-B

Old September 24th 04, 05:13 PM
g.daniels

the place where i live and its expletive deleted hot lets the rotting
road kill dry in the sun and blow away in the wind.
Old September 24th 04, 06:27 PM
Diablo Scott

g.daniels wrote:
the place where i live and its expletive deleted hot lets the rotting
road kill dry in the sun and blow away in the wind.

That would explain the apparent abundance of peyote in your neighborhood.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Santa Cruz & Loma Prieta [email protected] Rides 0 September 5th 04 05:49 AM
off road or on road tyre Skunk UK 14 July 21st 04 07:55 PM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
Sierra Nevada - Tioga/Sonora Pass [email protected] Rides 1 November 3rd 03 07:52 AM