At least 5 dead , 9 injured after pickup truck hits bicyclists from BEHIND

Old June 8th 16, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default At least 5 dead , 9 injured after pickup truck hits bicyclists from BEHIND

"KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Newschannel 3 has learned that at least five people have been killed on North Westnedge, near Markin Glen Park, just north of Kalamazoo, after a group of bicyclists were struck from behind by a blue Chevy pickup truck.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.

All of those killed were bicyclists riding down the road when a pickup truck came up behind them, and struck the group."

More here

http://wwmt.com/news/local/multiple-...illed-in-crash

Condolences to the victims' families and friends.

Cheers
Old June 8th 16, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 08/06/16 06:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

"KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Newschannel 3 has learned that at least five people have been killed on North Westnedge, near Markin Glen Park, just north of Kalamazoo, after a group of bicyclists were struck from behind by a blue Chevy pickup truck.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.

All of those killed were bicyclists riding down the road when a pickup truck came up behind them, and struck the group."

More here

http://wwmt.com/news/local/multiple-...illed-in-crash

Condolences to the victims' families and friends.

That's going to wind up as a murder charge in my opinion.

Reports indicate erratic driving before the incident.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36476440

Old June 8th 16, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 12:56:54 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
"KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Newschannel 3 has learned that at least five people have been killed on North Westnedge, near Markin Glen Park, just north of Kalamazoo, after a group of bicyclists were struck from behind by a blue Chevy pickup truck.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.

All of those killed were bicyclists riding down the road when a pickup truck came up behind them, and struck the group."

More here

http://wwmt.com/news/local/multiple-...illed-in-crash

Condolences to the victims' families and friends.

Cheers

report read here was cyclists were hit from ahead after the truck 'almost ran over muh foot'
Old June 10th 16, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 12:56:54 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
"KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Newschannel 3 has learned that at least five people have been killed on North Westnedge, near Markin Glen Park, just north of Kalamazoo, after a group of bicyclists were struck from behind by a blue Chevy pickup truck.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.

All of those killed were bicyclists riding down the road when a pickup truck came up behind them, and struck the group."

More here

http://wwmt.com/news/local/multiple-...illed-in-crash

Condolences to the victims' families and friends.

http://woodtv.com/2016/06/09/charges...cyclist-crash/

"BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (WOOD) — A Battle Creek man accused of hitting nine bicyclists faces five counts of second-degree murder.

Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting filed the charges against Charles Pickett Jr. Thursday."

This is good. I hope they stick and the guy goes away for a long time.

Cheers
Old June 10th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-07 21:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

"KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Newschannel 3 has learned
that at least five people have been killed on North Westnedge, near
Markin Glen Park, just north of Kalamazoo, after a group of
bicyclists were struck from behind by a blue Chevy pickup truck.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.

All of those killed were bicyclists riding down the road when a
pickup truck came up behind them, and struck the group."

More here

http://wwmt.com/news/local/multiple-...illed-in-crash

Condolences to the victims' families and friends.

Very sad.

One question is whether we will ever hear the results of the
investigation. Such as lane positions, lighting of the riders,
visibility, level of intoxication of the driver, speed of the truck, and
so on.

Without such follow-up it's hard to learn from these case. I have even
seen people flat-out deny that it was a non-intersection lane case in a
similar deadly crash here in Sacramento. No follow-up info as usual,
zero, but it all points to a cyclist having been in the left lane (two
per direction) preparing to turn off somewhere when a drunk driver in a
truck smashed into her and killed her.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 10th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2016-06-07 21:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Read the report. It was not an intersection and they were apparently on
the shoulder.

This has nothing to do with lane position or bike lanes or cycling
classes or anything to do with the cyclists. This has to do with some
asshole murdering 5 people and injuring several more who were just
riding their bikes. The only question to me is whether it was
intentional (1st degree murder) or not (second degree murder), otherwise
the rest is irrelevant.

What is there to learn here? Maybe if it was drunk driving and the guy
had priors or maybe if the guy was psychotic and off his meds. But from
the riders' points of view what is there to learn?

Old June 10th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-06-07 21:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Not to mention that this blue truck and driver had been reported a number of times that day for very erratic driving prior to it crashung into those 9 bicyclists. From variious reports i read it wouldn't have mattered where those bicyclist were riding since the truck was all over the road. One guy nearlycoming out of a store or building nearly got hit just seconds before the bicyclists got hit.

Cheers
Old June 10th 16, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-07 21:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Please quote where it said that.

This has nothing to do with lane position or bike lanes or cycling
classes or anything to do with the cyclists. This has to do with some
asshole murdering 5 people and injuring several more who were just
riding their bikes. The only question to me is whether it was
intentional (1st degree murder) or not (second degree murder), otherwise
the rest is irrelevant.

It is not. This driver was obvious intoxicated or otherwise out of his
mind but most of the time their reaction is simply so delayed that when
they see something in front of them it's too late. Not necessarily so if
the truck still fits through. Possibly he had veered off the road in
which case staying on the shoulder would not have helped at all. My
point is: We do not know that and there is typically no follow-up
publication.

What is there to learn here? Maybe if it was drunk driving and the guy
had priors or maybe if the guy was psychotic and off his meds. But from
the riders' points of view what is there to learn?

A lot. Just one example: I found that the number of times I got into
critical situations because of inattentive (or possibly soused) drivers
has greatly dropped off since I have bright lighting. One of the reasons
is simple. If a driver, especially a drunk one, sees red flashing lights
in the distance one of the first reactions will likely be "Oh no, cops!"
which in many cases will make them slow down.

Old June 10th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2016-06-07 21:56, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

It was stated in the original report posted here.

This has nothing to do with lane position or bike lanes or cycling
classes or anything to do with the cyclists. This has to do with some
asshole murdering 5 people and injuring several more who were just
riding their bikes. The only question to me is whether it was
intentional (1st degree murder) or not (second degree murder), otherwise
the rest is irrelevant.

It is not. This driver was obvious intoxicated or otherwise out of his
mind but most of the time their reaction is simply so delayed that when
they see something in front of them it's too late. Not necessarily so if
the truck still fits through. Possibly he had veered off the road in
which case staying on the shoulder would not have helped at all. My
point is: We do not know that and there is typically no follow-up
publication.

The asshole killed 5 people and injured 9. The rest is irrelevant.
Whether they were on the road or on the shoulder is irrelevant. The
asshole hit them from behind.

What is there to learn here? Maybe if it was drunk driving and the guy
had priors or maybe if the guy was psychotic and off his meds. But from
the riders' points of view what is there to learn?

A lot. Just one example: I found that the number of times I got into
critical situations because of inattentive (or possibly soused) drivers
has greatly dropped off since I have bright lighting. One of the reasons
is simple. If a driver, especially a drunk one, sees red flashing lights
in the distance one of the first reactions will likely be "Oh no, cops!"
which in many cases will make them slow down.

Give me a ****ing break. At least 14 people in front of him on bikes,
and he would have seen them if only they had a light?

Old June 10th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/10/2016 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
I found that the number of times I got into
critical situations because of inattentive (or possibly soused) drivers
has greatly dropped off since I have bright lighting. One of the reasons
is simple. If a driver, especially a drunk one, sees red flashing lights
in the distance one of the first reactions will likely be "Oh no, cops!"
which in many cases will make them slow down.

Sounds like you must have gotten into many "critical situations" before.
Otherwise you couldn't know they had dropped off greatly.

To me, that's very odd. I can't remember the last time I got in a
"critical situation" on my bike. Perhaps that has something to do with
riding style?

--
- Frank Krygowski