Glacial Ridge

Old June 23rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Glacial Ridge

Ooops, I accidently hit send before I finished. I continued below...for
those who care.

"Carla A-G" wrote in message news:...
Our local mtb club has gone and done it again! Access to another sizable
piece of land. The property is called Glacial Hill Preserve. It is 250+
acres of wooded, rolling hill terrain on Brookhaven Town proprty. It is
basically a parcel of unused land that is protected and cannot be

developed.
We read on the local mtb board that Hich (local trail builder) put a lot

of
work into the starting it up. We decided to go ride it and help ride it on
and pack the trail down as he had requested everybody to do when they got
the chance.

Here is the Google map:

http://www.visionmtb.com/forumvb/att...2&d=1150494528

So far, there is only 6 miles cut into it (one way trail), but it will be
growing bigger and bigger every few months. There is still a lot of work

yet
to be done on this huge plot of land. The trail was designed and built to

be
different from all the other trails we have here on the island, so it was

an
exciting venture to get involved with. Jim and I will be donating time to
help build it further (as we have done with many other trails on the
island).

The trail is only 5 miles away from our crib so we decided to ride there
through the jungle of traffic and cars trying to hit us along the way. We
were supposed to meet Frankie Froglegs, Ken and JimBones at the trailhead,
but usual, we ran late and by the time we got there, they were packing up

leave after just having ridden the trail. We asked them how the trail was
and they snickered and said we would love it, but it was just a tad soft
right now from now being ridden in yet. It took a couple of minutes for us
to locate where the trail started. The trail wasn't officially marked yet

so
we were working with the trailbuilders orange and blue flags tied to the
trees and branches. When our friends told us that the trail was soft, what
they meant was that it was barely visible from just being built. We really
depended on the flags to not lose our way in the tight and winding 6 mile
trail. We kept taking the wrong way and being spit out onto the fire road
where we had to find another flag to see where the trail continued. The
trail is built as spurs off of a fire road where it will eventually all be
linked up at a later point in time. Jim really liked the climbs and the

flow
that it has. It was soft and hard to ride (almost felt like we were riding
in beach sand, the tires were sinking into the fresh dirt). It was very

hot
and humid and then it began to rain very lightly, but it was not able to

get
through the thick canopy of the trees. We were beginning to get the flow

of
the trail quite nicely. There are sets of moguls and twists and turns that
add technical features to the trail. The moguls were natural features of

the
land, they were not built, but they were still too soft to ride over

without
having you tire sink into it as your going over. They will be awesome once
they are packed down.

This trail is definitely different than the others around here. Climbing
comes in short bursts (I have no idea what the highest elevation point

is).

There is a 1 mile long climb in there somewhere but we never found it. A lot
of changes in direction and a lot of slow speed maneuvers. The trail
features reminded me of a little piece of every trail we have, the tight
winding singletrack and fireroad crossovers (just like Bethpage), the moguls
(just like Rocky Point), the quick climbing bursts (just like Cathedral),
the flow (just like Calverton), the slow speed technical moves (just like
Stillwell). It was a little bit of everything.

We explored all of the trail that we could find and felt like we had found a
new home trail. Now all we have to do is talk some other local riders to
help ride it in and make it buff and packed down. We'll be going there as
often as we can to ride it in and help with trailwork. Pics will come next
time.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 23rd 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
[...]

If one must drive to the trailhead where would one find it?
I see it's near Bald Hill but beyond that...........

JP

Old June 23rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"JP" wrote in message news:1JSmg.1$D03.0@trndny03...

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
[...]

Go behind the Brookhaven Town Hall (the old Allstate building). You will see
a huge old white bunker (must have been from WWII). The trailhead begins
behind that bunker, slightly a little up the hill that is on the left. Do
not go to the fireroad that is there on the right. It will screw you up
right away.

So, when are you going to come out and ride with us? You post about LI every
so often, but I have no clue who you are?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 23rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"JP" wrote in message

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
[...]

If I could ride with you guys I would, but I'm now only a few years from
eligibility for
Social Security and my body reflects decades of extreme training including
karate and
trail running, now just memories. Hips are shot, knees are shot, lower
back protests
and the bike is the only way I can do trails now and no faster than I used
to run them.
You guys are competition class riders and there is no way I could ride with
you unless you
were making an extreme effort to be kind and slow down which of course would
be obvious
and make me feel more like a brokedown old man. If it weren't for full
suspension and lots of
gears I probably wouldn't be able to ride trails at all.

Very nice of you to offer the invitation and I appreciate it
but..............

JP

Old June 26th 06, 03:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

JP wrote:
If I could ride with you guys I would, but I'm now only a few years from
eligibility for
Social Security and my body reflects decades of extreme training including
karate and
trail running, now just memories. Hips are shot, knees are shot, lower
back protests
and the bike is the only way I can do trails now and no faster than I used
to run them.

I know how you feel I have wonky back and now a newly wonked ankle.

You guys are competition class riders and there is no way I could ride with
you unless you
were making an extreme effort to be kind and slow down which of course would
be obvious
and make me feel more like a brokedown old man.

Competition class???
I don't think I could be considered competition to very many.. We ride
for the joy of riding and don't even pretend to be racers.

If it weren't for full
suspension and lots of
gears I probably wouldn't be able to ride trails at all.

Very nice of you to offer the invitation and I appreciate it
but..............

JP

All the advantages of technology that keep you on the bike are pretty
cool eh?

Invitation is always open...

Jimbo(san)

Old June 26th 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"JP" wrote in message
[...]

We ride with Peckham, he's about 82 yrs old, uses a pace maker and has all
sorts of health problems, but it hasn't stopped him from kicking everyone's
ass and leading the saturday morning rides in Bethpage.

We are far from being "competition class riders" and we don't go on the
trails to "race" either. Its all about the enjoyment and love of being out
there and pedaling to your heart's delight.

Please come out with us sometime, maybe Bethpage?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 28th 06, 01:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"JP" wrote in message
[...]

I'm getting an ethnic case of the guilts here :-)

Is Bethpage early on Saturday?
Do you ride weekdays?
Weekend's are sometimes tough with chillun, music lessons and other
nonsense.
Easier weekdays when they are at school or camp.
Me and big girl are self-employed, not in the same business thank goodness
so weekdays work the best. Like there is no way I could get to Rocky Point
by 8AM, that's about when we start making coffee.

Am I confused or have I read about Carla the Can-Am Girl
placing in races and such? I mean sure, I get senior moments and all
but I do seem to recall seeing something like that.

Old June 28th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"JP" wrote in message
I'm getting an ethnic case of the guilts here :-)

Haha, my plan worked!

Is Bethpage early on Saturday?

About 9am. Usually meet in the Bethpage Library parking lot, but its not
necessary to always ride with that group, we usually arrive late and wind up
riding by ourselves...

Do you ride weekdays?

We attempt to...

Weekend's are sometimes tough with chillun, music lessons and other
nonsense.
Easier weekdays when they are at school or camp.

I understand...

Me and big girl are self-employed, not in the same business thank goodness
so weekdays work the best. Like there is no way I could get to Rocky Point
by 8AM, that's about when we start making coffee.

Well, we don't live too far from Rocky Point and all those nice eastern
trails if you ever want to ride there.

Am I confused or have I read about Carla the Can-Am Girl
placing in races and such? I mean sure, I get senior moments and all
but I do seem to recall seeing something like that.

I was a road racer (on a local roadie team in my hometown) for a few years,
I got tired of playing bumper bikes, my skin was taking a bad beating from
riding the pavement everytime someone elbowed me out of the peloton (yes,
road racers play dirty...). My mtb racing career ended early with an injury
and a sponsorship that didn't work out (altho I still got a nice bike out of
it...). Now, I just ride for the sheer joy of riding, no racing, no
competition...

I'll shoot you an email...one more attempt to get you to come on out and
pedal with us...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old June 30th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Carla A-G" wrote

Its all about the enjoyment and love of being out
there and pedaling to your heart's delight.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! You and Jim are alright. I love
riding with people of all skill levels. When I'm riding with someone better
than me I have the opportunity to learn something new or push myself a
little harder. When I ride with someone less experienced, hopefully they
have that same opportunity with me. It is "all about the the enjoyment and
love of being out there".

CG

Old June 30th 06, 05:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Carla A-G" wrote in message
"JP" wrote in message
[...]

I tried RP and couldn't find the trails y'all ride there. Same with BP.
And I'd be interested in learning to find my way around ESS.
Mostly we do CP and Calverton, you know, baby stuff.
Oh and we do Hither Hills when go out to Montauk, which will be next week.
Except that the road is so nice to ride out there as well.

I know what you mean about injury ending things, maybe even more than you
do.
OK, put down the violins, there are still things I can do.
But be prepared to let me straggle at my own pace, dismounting hurts
somewhat and
so does standing on the uphills.