painting small steel frame damages

Old May 5th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default painting small steel frame damages

I have used the "Humbrol Enamel" colors for
this. They are made in the UK and one bottle is
only 14 ml. They open with a spoon and stir
with a match for 30 seconds. Brush cleaned
every time in a small pot of
white/mineral spirit. You can do small circles
with the brush or go side to side. The color
range is amazing with hundreds of colors.
Colors also come in the categories matt, satin,
and gloss, where gloss is the shiniest.
There is also a "met" category which is thin
and a bit transparent (?) - I don't know - does
metal look like that? It says on the bottles it
should be touchable after five hours, but maybe
my room is too dark and cold, because I'd
double that figure. The paint is typically used
by kids doing model airplanes and such.
It sticks good except for metal against metal
which will remove or damage it, for sure.
If you put the bike up high, and put on a movie
or Survivor episode, it is pleasant work
as well.

What do you use?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 5th 17, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:13:22 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Mostly Testors model paints but they come in a very limited color selection and you're expected to mix the colors you want if they're nonstandard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006MZSLS...a-306911375996

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005C2KF..._t1_B0006MZSLS

The first is acrylic paint and the second is enamel.
Old May 5th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Emmanuel, I'm afraid I am not big on repairing chips in a frame's paint. When the bike gets too chipped and has too many rust spots to suit me, I strip the components off the frame, sandblast it and paint it with single-stage automotive paint. Although 2-stage (clear coat) jobs are popular these days, I think clear coat would look obviously inauthentic. IMHO, single stage paint more closely duplicates the original finish.

You need a fairly good-sized air compressor to run a sandblaster. I use a Campbell Hausfeld 2-stage model that delivers about 18 SCFM and has an 80-gallon air tank. Just about any portable, pressure-fed sandblaster will do the job. Avoid siphon-fed blasters.
Old May 5th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/4/2017 8:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

Testors here as well. Mixing up a good color match is sometimes
difficult, though. A color wheel helps.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 5th 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Frank Krygowski writes:

Testors here as well. Mixing up a good color match is
sometimes difficult, though. A color wheel helps.

You mean like this:

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...olor_wheel.png

I saw girls use them when doing makeup. It is not
a bad idea.

- so far: 26 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 5th 17, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

no machinery is as compelling as a 275 GTB with nose blasted clean of paint
Old May 5th 17, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 8:13:22 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I have used the "Humbrol Enamel" colors for

Snipped

In my opinion Humbrol paint is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the Testor's that come in the jars. I have tinlets of Humbrol paint that are over THIRTY YEARS OLD that are still useable and those paints have been opened from time to time over those thirty years.

Cheers
Old May 5th 17, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 4:53:15 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 8:13:22 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I have used the "Humbrol Enamel" colors for

Snipped

In my opinion Humbrol paint is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the Testor's that come in the jars. I have tinlets of Humbrol paint that are over THIRTY YEARS OLD that are still useable and those paints have been opened from time to time over those thirty years.

Cheers

.... “We don’t come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves.” .

my van is painted a bone white, all Ford white vans are off white not appliance white. chips are covered with a needle, small ground tip screwdriver, or Walmart brush assortment art brush with gloss white rustoleum. given the chip size vs the area of bone white, the brighter white is unseen. like the c.

idea a chipped chainstay is examined for coloration.... ?

Old May 5th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 5:52:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Emmanuel, I'm afraid I am not big on repairing chips in a frame's paint. When the bike gets too chipped and has too many rust spots to suit me, I strip the components off the frame, sandblast it and paint it with single-stage automotive paint. Although 2-stage (clear coat) jobs are popular these days, I think clear coat would look obviously inauthentic. IMHO, single stage paint more closely duplicates the original finish.

You need a fairly good-sized air compressor to run a sandblaster. I use a Campbell Hausfeld 2-stage model that delivers about 18 SCFM and has an 80-gallon air tank. Just about any portable, pressure-fed sandblaster will do the job. Avoid siphon-fed blasters.

Almost any city has locations that will sandblast and powdercoat a frame and fork. This procedure is dirt cheap and the finish extremely long lasting if not the height of glossy finishes.
Old May 5th 17, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/4/2017 10:48 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

Testors here as well. Mixing up a good color match is
sometimes difficult, though. A color wheel helps.

You mean like this:

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...olor_wheel.png

I saw girls use them when doing makeup. It is not
a bad idea.

Yes, something like that. For example, many people don't know that
adding a bit of blue to a bright orange will tone down its brightness,
muting it a bit toward brown. I had that problem with one frame I was
touching up.

--
- Frank Krygowski

FS: Small Centurion Steel Frame zteam Marketplace 3 March 7th 10 02:49 AM
Frame Painting? [email protected] Techniques 4 September 21st 07 08:02 PM
Painting a frame soup UK 1 April 6th 07 05:02 PM
Painting A Frame. isaac steiner Unicycling 2 January 18th 07 05:11 PM
Can I clear coat a raw steel fork instead of painting it? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 6 June 8th 05 03:08 AM