Time to bury my Vision?

Old January 28th 07, 08:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
who_me?

Default Time to bury my Vision?

Pulled my '99 Vision R44 out of the basement where it's been set up on
the trainer over the past few months and began giving it a badly needed
going over. Took off the seat to get better access and upon inspection
of the seat stays I noticed a hairline fracture on the right hand stay,
adjacent to the fender boss:
http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/rearview_1.JPG
http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/rearview_2.JPG

and upon closer inspection found that the left stay was showing the
beginnings of the same problem. I pulled it off the bike and, well,
here's how that went:
http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/body_3.JPG

I recall seeing a post a couple years back describing this very problem
(which I can't find any longer) and hoped that I wouldn't be caught by
this... well so much for hope.

So now I'm trying to determine if it is financially feasible to try and
get this fixed, which I'm guessing will require locating a frame maker
willing to weld up a complete seat stay unit, or to cut my losses and
lay this thing to rest. Or another possibility - anyone have an old 40
series lying around willing to give up a seat stay to help breath life
back into this bike?

thanks,
K2
Old January 28th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

If you decide to give up on this frame, I'm looking for a frame only.
Doesn't have to be rideable, but needs to be able to run the chain to
the cassette and cranks. No seat, front fork, brakes, derailleur,
etc........just the frame.

Thanks,

Perry B

adjacent to the fender boss:http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/r...rearview_2.JPG

Old January 29th 07, 01:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
chuck

On 2007-01-28, wrote:

If you decide to give up on this frame, I'm looking for a frame only.
Doesn't have to be rideable, but needs to be able to run the chain to
the cassette and cranks. No seat, front fork, brakes, derailleur,
etc........just the frame.

Thanks,

Perry B

I'd like to buy the bars if you give up on it and it has Under Seat
Steering. I might be willing to buy a suspension fork too if it fits a
R40.

Old January 29th 07, 08:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
guynoir

who_me? wrote:

So now I'm trying to determine if it is financially feasible to try and
get this fixed, which I'm guessing will require locating a frame maker
willing to weld up a complete seat stay unit, or to cut my losses and
lay this thing to rest. Or another possibility - anyone have an old 40
series lying around willing to give up a seat stay to help breath life
back into this bike?

thanks,
K2

Have it repaired, any competent professional Tig welder can do it. I
wouldn't go through a bike shop, but maybe a custom bike frame shop
could do it. Otherwise send it to me and I'll fix it.
--
John Kimmel

GET YER STINKING PAWS OFF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!

Old January 30th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Jan 28, 3:38?am, who_me? wrote:
Pulled my '99 Vision R44 out of the basement where it's been set up on
the trainer over the past few months and began giving it a badly needed
going over. Took off the seat to get better access and upon inspection
of the seat stays I noticed a hairline fracture on the right hand stay,
adjacent to the fender boss:http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/r...rearview_2.JPG

I have been around quite a few Visions for quite a few miles and had
never seen or read of this type of problem. I immediately checked my
'99 R40 and found it intact. In fact my bike has fender/rack bosses
welded onto the seat stay. It SEEMS obvious that your stay has been
weakened by the bosses ... were those by any chance an after market
addition? Or were they in general built differently on the 40's vs
the 44's?

Input anybody?

Old February 1st 07, 12:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
M. Blomquist

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 28, 3:38?am, who_me? wrote:
Pulled my '99 Vision R44 out of the basement where it's been set up on
the trainer over the past few months and began giving it a badly needed
going over. Took off the seat to get better access and upon inspection
of the seat stays I noticed a hairline fracture on the right hand stay,
adjacent to the fender
boss:http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/r...rearview_2.JPG

I have been around quite a few Visions for quite a few miles and had
never seen or read of this type of problem. I immediately checked my
'99 R40 and found it intact. In fact my bike has fender/rack bosses
welded onto the seat stay. It SEEMS obvious that your stay has been
weakened by the bosses ... were those by any chance an after market
addition? Or were they in general built differently on the 40's vs
the 44's?

Input anybody?

I've never heard of this either, and I've got a lot of miles on my '99 R40
LWB/USS. Of course I immediately checked out my seat stays and everything
is intact. Maybe it is a problem peculiar only to the R44. I've got a
brochure here from 1999 showing the R44 and R44s and the rear triangle
geometry looks a little tighter than the R40. Stress fractures? MB

Old February 6th 07, 04:03 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
k2

M. Blomquist wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 28, 3:38?am, who_me? wrote:
Pulled my '99 Vision R44 out of the basement where it's been set up on
the trainer over the past few months and began giving it a badly needed
going over. Took off the seat to get better access and upon inspection
of the seat stays I noticed a hairline fracture on the right hand stay,
adjacent to the fender
boss:http://www.spiritone.com/~karlkras/r...rearview_2.JPG

I have been around quite a few Visions for quite a few miles and had
never seen or read of this type of problem. I immediately checked my
'99 R40 and found it intact. In fact my bike has fender/rack bosses
welded onto the seat stay. It SEEMS obvious that your stay has been
weakened by the bosses ... were those by any chance an after market
addition? Or were they in general built differently on the 40's vs
the 44's?

Sorry, I meant rack bosses, not fender. And they were factory built.

Please remove the killspam portion of
my return address if replying directly

Bad vision Claire Petersky General 6 May 16th 05 03:41 AM
FA GT Time Trial Bike - Dura Ace - Vision Tech - 1 of the most aero diamond frames on the market - ending soon Mac Marketplace 0 January 3rd 05 07:11 PM
FA GT Time Trial Bike - one of the most Aero of Diamond Frames - Dura Ace - Vision Tech Aero Bars - Ending Soon Mac Marketplace 0 January 3rd 05 06:05 PM
FA GT Time Trial Bike - Dura Ace - Spinergy - Vision Tech - Red, White, & Blue Mac Marketplace 0 December 31st 04 06:45 PM