Bonking and food for a ride

Old July 21st 03, 05:30 PM
archer

Default Bonking and food for a ride

In article ,
says...
I gather "bonking" does not have the same meaning in American and British
English ...

True Grin. In American English, it means something to the effect of
"run out of energy during exercies". Typically due to insufficient
intake of carbohydrates or other quickly-available calories. In British
English, it refers to a specific form of exercise G,D&R.

David Kerber
An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good
Lord, it's morning".

Old July 21st 03, 05:58 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:55:10 -0700, ,
Bernie wrote:

You're not alone. We just havent met yet.
Bernie
(keeping an eye out for your milk carton)

You guys will be able to meet at the planned Gastown Grand Prix
rendezvous. Just show up.

I'd love to attend.

But I'm loathe to make commitments, because as soon as I do,
my client/boss would no doubt come up with a bunch of work
for me, and I'd have to accept it and drop everything else.
I've already missed every single Bike Month event last month
due to getting lots of work. Same thing happened last year.

Now for the embarrassing part, and the other reason for my
reticence until now: I'm temporarily broke. Busted. Skint.
Down to the bone. I'm awaiting my upcoming cheque, but it's
not yet forthcoming. (I get paid when she gets paid.) Maybe
I'll be lucky and get my cheque by Wednesday. Or maybe not.

So, when does the City screw up the downtown traffic for the
upcoming Molson Indy?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 22nd 03, 05:16 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

Have you seen the way this new bike route fades-to-black at the
eastbound Marine Drive approach to Knight Street Bridge?

That newfangled Windsor/Inverness route? I always figured Dumfries St
makes more sense. I got into a discussion with some city staff about
it. They argued that Windsor provides a direct route to the Vancouver
Community College's King Edward campus. But Dumfries St could hook up
to the existing Mosaic route on Woodland, which intersects the
Off-Broadway route, which leads to the King Edward campus anyway.

And connecting to the Mosaic route makes the whole thing more of a
north/south cross-town route, which is lacking in the east end.
But I'm not a city engineer, so WTH do I know :-p

They also mentioned how Windsor passes by some high school, but
Dumfries accesses more schools, churches, and retail areas on
Kingsway, as well as Kensington Community Centre, Clark Park, etc.
And subsequently, Woodland Dr accesses Brittania Community Centre,
runs closely parallel to Commercial Dr, connects to the Adanac route
(Windsor doesn't), and it's a short hop, skip & jump to the Lakewood
route which runs even further north, connects to the Portside route,
and thence the Trans Canada Trail.

At the south end, for crossing Marine Dr to get to/from Kent Ave,
Dumfries lines up with Borden St better than Inverness does with
Crompton St.

But it's all moot now, since I didn't even know the Windsor/Inverness
route was in the works until it was already a done deal. There was
nothing on the City's cycling home page about it. And I guess there
weren't many east-ender cycling advocates here to pick up the ball.
I feel as though it was sprung on us by surprise. Oh well. Maybe
some day they'll finish (or start) the Windsor St section.

My apologies to other readers, for all the local detail of non-interest
to many of you. I just had to vent a little about what I deem a less
than optimal decision by Vancouver City Staff & Council.

cheers,
Tom

Old July 22nd 03, 08:37 PM

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
writes:

I used to use the ride around the lake as an excuse to visit the bakery.
Now I use the bakery as an excuse to take the ride around the lake. I'm
not quite sure when my priorities switched on that.

Ah, the old chicken & egg enigma - ride to eat, or eat to ride.
Either way is pretty good. After all, both riding and eating
are pleasures; might as well combine 'em.

True. And it's always good for frightening the non-cyclists. Their
eyes go wide as they see you demolish one plate of food after another,
and *then* go grab two or three pieces of dessert.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
The covers of this book are too far apart.
Old August 9th 03, 08:44 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 09:52:22 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:

$1.50? I'm moving to Cambodia.

Heh! Say hi to my mate Mike Boddington if you bump into him over
there - he runs a landmine victim charity. But he only works in
Cambodia, he lives in Laos. For the price of a small garden shed in
Henley-on-Thames you can have a palace built over there.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!