Why Cycle lanes on busy roads are a bad idea

Old August 22nd 05, 08:57 AM
Gemma_k

Default Why Cycle lanes on busy roads are a bad idea

"dewatf" wrote in message

Ever wondered what drafting behind a 380 in the bus lane on Oxford
Street is doing to you?

They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in

90% drop in particulates.

Make yourself fee better, and read this one instead.
http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/....php?s=8&a=101
(Here in adelaide we have natural gas and biodeisel buses :-). one has nice
warm air out the exhaust, the other smells a bit like fish and chips ;-)

Old August 22nd 05, 11:50 AM
LotteBum

GemmaK wrote

the other smells a bit like fish and chips ;-

Are you serious?

LotteBu

--
LotteBum

Old August 22nd 05, 01:50 PM
Gags

"BrettS" wrote in message
u...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E23289,00.html

They recon that building a cycleways 10m from the traffic results in
90% drop in particulates.

dewatf.

Pretty much the same as drafting behind that truck the other day,
helping me go really fast...

;-)
--
BrettS

Early one morning last week (about 0600h) I had just turned onto Rosanna Rd
from Lower Plenty and was going over the hill when a ute with orange
flashing lights and a "Wide Load" sign passed me. I looked back over my
shoulder and here was a fricken house on the back of a truck that pretty
well was taking up both lanes!!! I stayed right over to the left until it
went past me and then moved out behind it and slipped between it and the
light truck behind it with another set of flashing lights and "Wide Load"
sign.

This was the best draft that I have ever managed to get.......even better
than when I have gotten in behind one of those big mobile cranes that are
really low to the road. I basically followed this house at 60km/h all the
way to Burgandy St and I was pretty well on the brakes the whole way!! I
was so happy with the draft that I actually decided to go all the way to the
top of the Burgandy St hill rather than turn left at the hospital like I
usually do.

Screw bike lanes.....just get more houses on the road!!!

Ride On,

Gags

Old August 22nd 05, 02:12 PM
dave

Gags wrote:
"BrettS" wrote in message
u...

dewatf wrote:

[...]

OK The story here is that you were overtaken by a HOUSE

However you dress it up thats what I am hearing.
Old August 22nd 05, 09:58 PM
flyingdutch

dave Wrote:
OK The story here is that you were overtaken by a HOUSE

However you dress it up thats what I am hearing.

baahahahahhah. yep, that's what i read too :

--
flyingdutch

Old August 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
Gemma_k

"LotteBum" wrote in message

GemmaK wrote:

the other smells a bit like fish and chips ;-)

Are you serious?

yup :-)

It's a much different smelling exhaust than anything else anyway. Sort of
like oily smelling without the usual black smoke.

Old August 23rd 05, 05:34 AM
Theo Bekkers

Gemma_k wrote:

It's a much different smelling exhaust than anything else anyway.
Sort of like oily smelling without the usual black smoke.

There's a old Merc 300D running around Perth that actually runs on recycled
oil from fryers. And yes, it does smell like fish and chips.

Theo

Almost knocked Off. Why Cycle Lanes are Bad. [email protected] UK 23 June 8th 05 12:12 AM
Cycle lanes on roundabouts Tim Woodall UK 70 April 23rd 05 09:53 AM
Cycle lanes in New Towns MartinM UK 5 April 5th 05 10:10 AM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM