Shoes, mtb, bear traps

Old November 26th 05, 12:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Shoes, mtb, bear traps

Dave E wrote:
After that, you'll be tons more efficient than ever possible with
those horrible cages.

No, there are about twenty things I could do to be more efficent before
I need to resort to cleats.

Most important - shoes that are properly fitted and which will dry quickly
when (not if) they fill with mud/water.

Sandals?

Old November 27th 05, 12:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Terry Collins" wrote in message ...

As subject say, mtb use (NO cleats), bear trap pedals and straps, wide feet.

Something like these might be OK

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/prod...&cat=84&page=1

They're designed for use with cleats, but could be used without and are comfortable to walk around in. Specialized also have
something similar in their range.

Parbs

Old November 27th 05, 05:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:30:01 +1100, Resound
wrote:

Meh. I haven't fallen over yet. Yes, that's taunting the gods but
they're all *******s anyway. Anyone got any copper armour I can borrow?

Me either. Well, not due to being clipped in anyway

Tim, if you're using straps, you might as well swap to clipless. They
are actually easier to get out of than toe straps. Most of them have
some amount of adjustment so you can make sure you can get out of them
quick if you need to. Once you've used them for a bit, you'll never go
back. I don't even think about what my foot is supposed to do to get
out them now, it just happens.
Old November 27th 05, 06:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Terry Collins" wrote:

Most important - shoes that are properly fitted and which will dry
quickly
when (not if) they fill with mud/water.

Sandals?

Yes, Shimano make some good sandals for cycling with cleats. Like this:
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/prod...&cat=84&page=1

They work very well. I'd advise against using them off on the
fire-trails/single-track however. Too many sticks can get thrown up to
impale your tootsies (speaking from experience). They're great as summer
touring footwear though and are a lot cooler than shoes.

Most shops don't stock them as they're not a big seller and the distributors
only sell them to shops in boxes of 10. If you get lucky (as I did) you may
find a shop with one or two left that they want to get out the door at half
price. My LBS had one left, my size to sell to me for $70.

Cheers
Peter

Old November 27th 05, 07:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Terry Collins" wrote:

Sandals?

Yes, Shimano make some good sandals for cycling with cleats. Like this:
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/prod...&cat=84&page=1

Thanks to peeps for the phantomcycles links.
Turns out they are actually in my back yard
and helps answer a question of a few years back of
"why is Tahmoor suddenly being presented as a bicycling mecca?"

They work very well. I'd advise against using them off on the
fire-trails/single-track however. Too many sticks can get thrown up to
impale your tootsies (speaking from experience). They're great as summer
touring footwear though and are a lot cooler than shoes.

I actually use a number of shoes and sandals depending on condition of
feet and weather. Been there, done that with the stickies (ouchies).

I first twigged to sandals as a tourer. It was so much easier to accept
wet feet and wear sandals in the rain. Also easier to sluice them out in
muddy conditions.

Old November 27th 05, 10:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:26:49 +1100, Terry Collins wrote:

Thanks to peeps for the phantomcycles links. Turns out they are actually
in my back yard and helps answer a question of a few years back of "why
is Tahmoor suddenly being presented as a bicycling mecca?"

That's a delightful indication of just how important a shop front really
is. There are still quite a few people who find it easier to go in to town
than to sit on their arse at work and order bike stuff on the internet.

That said, I've never set foot in Kerry's shop, but I've always had
flawless customer service from him.

--
Dave Hughes |
The family that chooses words with care together is the family that

Old November 27th 05, 09:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Random Data Wrote:

That said, I've never set foot in Kerry's shop, but I've always had
flawless customer service from him.

That's possibly a good thing, its even easier for Kerry to empty your
wallet in the shop than it is for him to do it via the internet. ;-)

Parbs

--
kanangara

My new Shimano shoes. Marty Australia 17 June 2nd 05 02:17 PM
FA: Rocket7 Road Shoes 44.0, CARBON SOLE, AS-NEW, L@@K!!! [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 13th 05 07:01 PM
FA: DMT R2 Road Shoes 44.0, NIB, NR..PEFECT FOR SPEEDPLAY!!! [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 10th 05 01:26 PM
FA: Top-end DMT R2 Road Shoes 44.0, NIB, NR..L@@K!!! PERFECT FOR SPEEDPLAY PEDAL USERS... [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 06:00 PM
FA: Top-end DMT R2 Carbon Road Shoes 44.0, NIB, NR..L@@K!!! [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 05:58 PM