Orange lights!

Old November 1st 05, 09:39 AM
A5Hi5M

Default Orange lights!

Help mold my young (cycling age) and impressionable mind ..

Is it bad form to sprint for/through orange lights?

Not so much in a bunch ride situation, more "just out for a cruise and dont
really wanna held up here" sort of thing..

Ash ..

Old November 1st 05, 10:07 AM
GPLama

"A5Hi5M" wrote in message ...
Help mold my young (cycling age) and impressionable mind ..

Is it bad form to sprint for/through orange lights?

Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely before the line,
then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

cheers,
GPL

Old November 1st 05, 10:36 AM
TimC

On 2005-11-01, GPLama (aka Bruce)
"A5Hi5M" wrote in message ...
Help mold my young (cycling age) and impressionable mind ..

Is it bad form to sprint for/through orange lights?

Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely before the line,
then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

GPL, I am shocked.

I thought you were an upstanding law abiding citizen.

--
TimC
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.
Old November 1st 05, 10:44 AM
Euan

"GPLama" == GPLama writes:

GPLama "A5Hi5M" wrote in message ...
Help mold my young (cycling age) and impressionable mind ..

Is it bad form to sprint for/through orange lights?

GPLama Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely
GPLama before the line, then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

Careful with that one, new red light cameras which detect whether you
speed up or not on the orange are on their way. I'm not sure of the
letter of the law but I believe that orange means stop unless unsafe to
do so.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old November 1st 05, 10:53 AM
GPLama

"TimC" wrote in message ...

Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely before the line,
then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

GPL, I am shocked.

I thought you were an upstanding law abiding citizen.

Yeah, me too.. but I have a speeding fine sitting next to me that says
otherwise :|

cheers,
GPL

Old November 1st 05, 11:33 AM
Kimon

No, provided your name is Mario Cipollini.

Old November 1st 05, 12:24 PM
TimC

On 2005-11-01, Euan (aka Bruce)
"GPLama" == GPLama writes:

GPLama "A5Hi5M" wrote in message ...
Help mold my young (cycling age) and impressionable mind ..

Is it bad form to sprint for/through orange lights?

GPLama Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely
GPLama before the line, then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

Careful with that one, new red light cameras which detect whether you
speed up or not on the orange are on their way.

Shiny. Way cool.

Although, probably quite error prone. It'd probably be too easy to
defend in court.

I'm not sure of the letter of the law but I believe that orange
means stop unless unsafe to do so.

I believe you are correctomuno.

--
TimC
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
Old November 1st 05, 11:41 PM
Tamyka Bell

Euan wrote:

"GPLama" == GPLama writes:

GPLama "A5Hi5M" wrote in message ...
Help mold my young (cycling age) and impressionable mind ..

Is it bad form to sprint for/through orange lights?

GPLama Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely
GPLama before the line, then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

Careful with that one, new red light cameras which detect whether you
speed up or not on the orange are on their way. I'm not sure of the
letter of the law but I believe that orange means stop unless unsafe to
do so.

Do they detect whether you speed up or whether you're speeding? Because
there have been several occasions where I've started to hit the brakes,
looked in the rearview mirror and seen Mr/Ms D!ickhead tailgating me
while talking on the mobile phone, and I've therefore hit the
accelerator again and gone through to avoid getting smashed up the bum.
I sped up to go through the orange, because it was unsafe to stop... but
if I had already started braking before it was deemed unsafe to stop,
why am I not allowed to speed up again? (I hadn't heard of these
cameras, so it's interesting.)

Tam
Old November 2nd 05, 12:33 AM
Marx SS

On the weekend I was in a car traveling east bound on Alexandra Ave
Fitsroy & I was flashed by a red light camera of Wellington street even
though I was travelling at right angles to it.

I have my doubts about unmanned traffic 'control' devices. I would love
to see what hits the round file when they process the photos taken, it
might put the accuracy of these things into a clearer light.

I supose with new anti-terror laws coming through (that no one has
really seen) I better be quite about bagging the forces that be.

--
Marx SS

Old November 2nd 05, 02:12 AM
Peka

Euan Wrote:

GPLama Same theory as when in the car.. if you can stop safely
GPLama before the line, then stop. When in doubt, floor it.

Careful with that one, new red light cameras which detect whether you
speed up or not on the orange are on their way. I'm not sure of the
letter of the law but I believe that orange means stop unless unsafe to
do soI believe they are actually installed already in the southern states?

When I was living in Sydney many years ago, an orange light meant speed
up to get through the intersection or be prepared to have the 4 cars
behind you make a mess of your rear end.

On a bicycle, how do they know where to send the infringement notice?
(I am not condoning the running of red lights!)

--
Peka

Rechargeable lights , any recommendations..... Neil Mountain Biking 16 September 15th 05 11:07 AM
lights czb Mountain Biking 6 July 8th 05 03:08 PM
Bleedin' lights :-( Cateye HL-RC230 Fred Fragger Mountain Biking 4 October 2nd 04 01:19 PM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM
Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights Truepurple Techniques 30 November 17th 03 04:02 AM