Bonking and food for a ride

Old July 20th 03, 07:21 AM
Zoot Katz

Default Bonking and food for a ride

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:30:39 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

I love honey, too. After your tip, I'm even buying royal jelly

Investigate the therapeutic uses for propolis. It's serious medicine.

A friend who always suffered from hay fever allergies was cured in one
season by eating bee pollen. The wax is handy for lots of stuff too.

I think the stuff is blessed because bees work it all out by dancing.
--
zk
Old July 20th 03, 07:31 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:05:15 -0700, ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

I'm the only person I know who likes buckwheat honey.

I love bucwheat honey.
--
zk
Old July 20th 03, 07:55 AM
Bernie

Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
David Kerber writes:
In article , Kevan Smith
/\/\ says...
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:13:34 GMT, Gary Smiley from
Comcast Online wrote:

I've checked out GU but it costs around a dollar an ounce, or sixteen dollars a
pound.
I've thought of using honey as a cheaper (and more natural) alternative.

Honey is mostly plain sugar -- might as well have a Snickers.

Yeah; you'll also get some protein and fats with it, which are also
necessary.

Trouble is, they like to melt into a gooey puddle.

Date-nut loaf travels well. And you can even put honey
in it when you make it. Just can't whistle for awhile
after eating a couple of squares.

I'm the only person I know who likes buckwheat honey.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

You're not alone. We just havent met yet.
Bernie
(keeping an eye out for your milk carton)

Old July 20th 03, 10:40 PM
Mike Latondresse

Zoot Katz wrote in
:

Honey is better for other reasons they'll tell you too but I don't
need to be convinced. Honey is real food locally produced while
gooey snacks are what?

OK Zoot how do I take honey on a ride, there seems to be a packaging
problem, and straight honey is very sweet, not good to take straight?

Old July 20th 03, 11:00 PM

Mike Latondresse wrote:

: OK Zoot how do I take honey on a ride, there seems to be a packaging
: problem, and straight honey is very sweet, not good to take straight?

Maybe mix it with water? Solved the packaging problem, I did a
short ride with 1l water + 2 teaspoonfuls of honey. My stomach
didn't like it that much but I have to experiment more... could
be much better idea than just using sugar. Or even better than
maltodextrin?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old July 21st 03, 12:13 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:40:15 GMT, ,
Mike Latondresse wrote:

Honey is better for other reasons they'll tell you too but I don't
need to be convinced. Honey is real food locally produced while
gooey snacks are what?

OK Zoot how do I take honey on a ride, there seems to be a packaging
problem, and straight honey is very sweet, not good to take straight?

Plastic squeeze bottles like a ketchup or mustard dispenser. Some
honeys already come packed in them.

Flattened round bottles like a glue dispenser or some toiletry
containers is a better shape for packing in a jersey. Find one that
fits a like dish-detergent bottle top or a large bore, flip-up spout.
Some empty sunscreen or hand cream tubes would be perfect if you can
get rid of the perfume.

I had some from Gerry. MEC has plastic food containers in the store.
I've not looked at any lately but there's all kinds of shops along
Broadway . One of 'em might even have honey flasks.

Cut it with lemon or lime juice if it's too sweet. A dash of bitters?
Tequila? I don't know, try different flavours.
--
zk
Old July 21st 03, 02:59 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:48:35 -0400,
, David Kerber
wrote:

Honey is mostly plain sugar -- might as well have a Snickers.

Yeah; you'll also get some protein and fats with it, which are also
necessary.

Not in sufficient quantities to really make an issue of it unless
you're selling honey. There are scientific studies paid for by

I was talking about the Snickers, not the honey GGG.

Yeah, I figured that out too late to keep from looking illiterate.

I tagged a previously written response to Kevin onto your post when I
saw that you'd answered him without paying real attention to, or
addressing, what you'd said. Bad form.

Anyway, for candy snacks I prefer bars like Sweet Marie and Mr.Big
for filling a gap.
--
zk
Old July 21st 03, 05:23 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

I gather "bonking" does not have the same meaning in American and British
English ...

Elisa Roselli
Ile de France

Sandy Christmus wrote: