Anyone ever make their own bar?

Old February 4th 07, 03:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
chuck

Default Anyone ever make their own bar?

I can't seem to purchase a USS bar for my Vision R40. I'm wondering if
anybody knows of another bar that will fit this. If not, could I use
some kind of conduit and a conduit bender to make one? It seems the stem
from my OSS will fit the fork, so it I can't find one, I'll probably buy
a couple lenghts of aluminum conduit and start bending till I get it
right. I don't figure the strength will be as much of an issue as on a
conventional bike.
Old February 4th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

chuck wrote:
I can't seem to purchase a USS bar for my Vision R40. I'm wondering if
anybody knows of another bar that will fit this. If not, could I use
some kind of conduit and a conduit bender to make one? It seems the stem
from my OSS will fit the fork, so it I can't find one, I'll probably buy
a couple lenghts of aluminum conduit and start bending till I get it
right. I don't figure the strength will be as much of an issue as on a
conventional bike.

I think you will be better off using EMT, which is more the wall
thickness of bicycle bars. Also they are easier to bend tight bends.
They can be painted or powder coated.
Old February 4th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
guynoir

chuck wrote:
I can't seem to purchase a USS bar for my Vision R40. I'm wondering if
anybody knows of another bar that will fit this. If not, could I use
some kind of conduit and a conduit bender to make one? It seems the stem
from my OSS will fit the fork, so it I can't find one, I'll probably buy
a couple lenghts of aluminum conduit and start bending till I get it
right. I don't figure the strength will be as much of an issue as on a
conventional bike.

I'll bet this handle bar would work, if you flip it upside down from
what the photo shows:

http://tinyurl.com/25fywp