Noise in Campy drivetrain

Old January 10th 05, 12:15 PM
Frank Knox

"Neal" wrote in message

"Frank Knox" wrote in message

"Neal" wrote in message
news
Last Fall I converted my friction shifting bike over to Campy Ergo. I

have an
all Centaur Triple group with the exception of a Chorus crankset and

bottom
bracket. I have about 700 miles on the new drive train and it shifts

perfectly
but I am experiencing a strange noise from the crank area.

Occasionally
when I
stop pedaling for a few seconds and then start up again, there is a

sound
that
is almost like a metalic object striking the crankset. Besides the

sound,
I can
feel the vibration through the pedals. Other riders can hear it

several
feet
away. It is quite loud. It seems to mainly occur when I am in the

middle
chainring and it does not matter what cog I am on in the back. The

bottom
bracket has been checked as well as the chainring bolts and pedals.

All
are
torqued properly. The Campy chain has been lubricated every 75 miles

with
White
Lightning. Has anyone experience this? My experience goes back to the

friction
shifting days and I know very little about these new systems. The bike

is
1979 Gios Torino Super Record.

Neal

I had a similar problem and checked all of the same things people have
suggested. It turned out to be the connecting link I was using on the

Campy
chain. I changed to Wipperman chains with their connecting link and

have
not had that problem since.

I have tried everything recommended with no improvemnet and I am thinking

now
that it may be a problem such as you suggest. The chain is a Campy chain

with
less than 900 miles on it. Do the Wipperman chains perform better than

the
Campy chains? Is the link easy to open?

Neal

The Wipperman chains are silent, shift well, and last a long time if you
keep them clean. The link is secure and very easy to open with no tools.
I get them from Lickton's for a reasonable price.
http://www.lickbike.com/

Old January 20th 05, 01:42 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

neal- Occasionally when I
stop pedaling for a few seconds and then start up again, there is a sound that
is almost like a metalic object striking the crankset. BRBR

I would check the freehub. Sounds like perhaps one of the pawls is not engaging
properly.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 20th 05, 03:14 PM
Neal

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
neal- Occasionally when I
stop pedaling for a few seconds and then start up again, there is a sound that
is almost like a metalic object striking the crankset. BRBR

I would check the freehub. Sounds like perhaps one of the pawls is not
engaging
properly.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

I think you are correct about the source of the noise. The LBS agrees with you
too. These are Bontrager Race lite wheels and Trek is sending a replacement
freehub this week. Hopefully the replacement will solve the problem.

Old January 20th 05, 10:01 PM

Sounds like a loose kick stand that falls to a low spot ;-) Have a good
day, John