frozen bottom bracket

Old January 19th 05, 05:56 AM
Dan Daniel

Default frozen bottom bracket

I was given an old Bridgestone XO-5 frame that I'd like to build into
a beater. The bottom bracket is frozen in place, meaning the cups, not
the axle.

The right cup came out- typical English BB threading, clockwise to
remove. Unlike every other Shimano cartridge BB I've seen, this BB
seems to have the main body/cup setup threaded from the left side.

I'm not even certain if it is a Shimano BB. No markings visible. The
right cup looks like typical newish Shimano plastic stuff.

I guess my best bet is to find a bolt long enough to clamp the BB tool
into the splines and crank the whole bike around it in a bench vice?
Anyone know the threading of the standard crank bolt? Is it commonly
available in a hardware store? Any other suggestions? (the BB is shot
so no need to preserve it). Thanks.
Old January 19th 05, 04:21 PM
Sheldon Brown

Dan Daniel wrote:

I was given an old Bridgestone XO-5 frame that I'd like to build into
a beater. The bottom bracket is frozen in place, meaning the cups, not
the axle.

The right cup came out- typical English BB threading, clockwise to
remove. Unlike every other Shimano cartridge BB I've seen, this BB
seems to have the main body/cup setup threaded from the left side.

I'm not even certain if it is a Shimano BB. No markings visible. The
right cup looks like typical newish Shimano plastic stuff.

I guess my best bet is to find a bolt long enough to clamp the BB tool
into the splines and crank the whole bike around it in a bench vice?

The TACX tool is great for this sort of thing:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/bottombracket.html and scroll down
a bit.

Anyone know the threading of the standard crank bolt?

8 x 1 mm.

Is it commonly available in a hardware store?

Not all hardware stores in the U.S. speak Metric, but the good ones do.

Sheldon "Ungggggggghh!" Brown
| If you find yourself standing to accelerate, |
| on level ground, it is a sign that your gear |
| is too high, or that your saddle is too low. |
| See: http://sheldonbrown.com/standing.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 19th 05, 11:24 PM
Chalo

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Dan Daniel wrote:

Anyone know the threading of the standard crank bolt?

8 x 1 mm.

Is it commonly available in a hardware store?

Not all hardware stores in the U.S. speak Metric, but the good ones

do.

I have never encountered an ordinary hardware store, no matter how well
stocked, that carried metric fine thread fasteners. They will often
have what they call "M8", which means 8mm X 1.25, the most common 8mm
pitch.

I once found some 10mm X 1.0 bolts in a Home Depot. I assume they had
been ordered by mistake. It's a common bike axle thread that is also
used on the derailleur mounting stud-- but I have never seen it used in
any other machine.

Auto parts stores are likely to have a few fasteners in the less-common
metric sizes, and fastener supply houses might stock a few fasteners in
other than the usual pitches. But your best bet for finding a metric
8mm X 1.0 bolt is a bike shop.

Chalo Colina

Old January 19th 05, 11:58 PM
Dan Daniel

On 19 Jan 2005 15:24:48 -0800, "Chalo"
wrote:

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Dan Daniel wrote:

[...]

You're certainly right about the fine thread thing in my local metric
hardware store. 8 x 1.25 is it, not 8 x 1.

The nice thing is that for my purposes- holding a Shimano bottom
bracket tool in place- the coarse threads grab enough. If it didn't,
in this case I would probably just crank down on the bolt and let it
cut a bit of thread itself since the bottom bracket itself is
completely shot and of no use, a nice example of 'old and in the way.'
Old January 20th 05, 02:00 AM
Chalo

Dan Daniel wrote:

"Chalo" wrote:

But your best bet for finding a metric
8mm X 1.0 bolt is a bike shop.

You're certainly right about the fine thread thing in my local metric
hardware store. 8 x 1.25 is it, not 8 x 1.

The nice thing is that for my purposes- holding a Shimano bottom
bracket tool in place- the coarse threads grab enough.

For a bolt of sufficient length to do that job, even a bike shop will
not be of any use.

If the spindle is drilled all the way through, you can probably use a
long 1/4" bolt with a fender washer to hold the tool, and a normal
washer and nut on the other end of the spindle.

Chalo Colina

Old January 20th 05, 07:42 AM
Werehatrack

On 19 Jan 2005 15:24:48 -0800, "Chalo" may
have said:

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Not all hardware stores in the U.S. speak Metric, but the good ones

do.

I have never encountered an ordinary hardware store, no matter how well
stocked, that carried metric fine thread fasteners. They will often
have what they call "M8", which means 8mm X 1.25, the most common 8mm
pitch.

The Lowe's near me has 8x1.0 bolts in a handful of lengths. I was as
surprised as you would have been.

I once found some 10mm X 1.0 bolts in a Home Depot. I assume they had
been ordered by mistake. It's a common bike axle thread that is also
used on the derailleur mounting stud-- but I have never seen it used in
any other machine.

Actually, I've seen 10x1.0 bolts at both Home Depot and Lowe's for a
while now, with no good reason apparent. The majority of 10mm "fine
thread" fasteners that I've encountered are 10x1.25, which is less
commonly stocked by the hardware stores.

Auto parts stores are likely to have a few fasteners in the less-common
metric sizes, and fastener supply houses might stock a few fasteners in
other than the usual pitches. But your best bet for finding a metric
8mm X 1.0 bolt is a bike shop.

This may have regional validity, but I'd check whatever's closest
first just in case.

Old January 20th 05, 07:44 AM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:58:20 -0800, Dan Daniel
may have said:

The nice thing is that for my purposes- holding a Shimano bottom
bracket tool in place- the coarse threads grab enough. If it didn't,
in this case I would probably just crank down on the bolt and let it
cut a bit of thread itself since the bottom bracket itself is
completely shot and of no use, a nice example of 'old and in the way.'

If that's an acceptable tactic, then use a 5/16" fine-thread US bolt;
it's closer to 8x1.0 than an 8x1.25 would be.

Old January 20th 05, 12:23 PM
Peter Cole

Dan Daniel wrote:
[...]

I had no trouble finding 8x1.0 bolts in our local (very nice) hardware
store. I got a couple of different lengths and a pile of washers to
space them on the Park BB tool. If you have a vise with enough
clearance, you could go that way, I find that a big pipe wrench works
pretty well.

Old January 20th 05, 04:48 PM
Dan Daniel

On 20 Jan 2005 04:23:38 -0800, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

I had no trouble finding 8x1.0 bolts in our local (very nice) hardware
store. I got a couple of different lengths and a pile of washers to
space them on the Park BB tool.

A long bolt, washer(s), and one nut will do it. Run the nut up the
bolt, washer below. Insert into BB tool and start threads into axle.
Then run the nut down. If you're worried about it coming loose (not an
issue for me in this case), run two nuts up the bolt, tighten the
bottom one, and use the second as a lock nut. I've found this both
easier and more stable than stacks of washers for jigs like this, as
long as the extra length of bolt isn't a problem

Old January 20th 05, 05:27 PM
Sheldon Brown

Peter Cole wrote:

I had no trouble finding 8x1.0 bolts in our local (very nice) hardware
store. I got a couple of different lengths and a pile of washers to
space them on the Park BB tool. If you have a vise with enough
clearance, you could go that way, I find that a big pipe wrench works
pretty well.

You and I are in a highly privileged minority, both of us living within
a mile of Swartz Hardware.

That place is a treasure house, and, alas, is hardly representative of
the general run of U.S. hardware stores.

Sheldon "LHS" Brown
| Promote the institution of marriage: |
| Make it available to all adults! |