Beginner seeking advice

Old October 12th 03, 11:46 PM
Joe S.

Default Beginner seeking advice

I would appreciate advice in two areas: choosing a bicycle, and, biking as
aerobic exercise.

I am 59 years old and have been a long distance runner for the past 25
years; have completed several marathons, though the last one was a few years
ago. I run 4 - 8 miles a day, 5 days a week; I lift weights (free weights)
three days a week; do 100 sit-ups with a few crunches thrown in and 50-75
pushups 7 days a week.

I'm concerned at the pounding my knees and hips are taking from running --
all my running is on streets and roads and while I run on the grass as much
as I can, it's 99.5 percent on the road.

I'd like to start biking to work and biking for aerobic exercise plus doing
occasional recreational trail biking (for anyone in the area, I live within
a few miles of the Virginia Creeper trail).

Most of my biking would be on streets with an occasional foray onto a
well-maintained, fairly wide, non-extreme local biking-walking trail. I'd
like to be able to snap-on/snap-off a rack of some kind that would let me
haul a sack or groceries or my gym bag or my lunch when I go on the trail.
Also -- and I realize this is probably blasphemy -- but I want a rear fender
so I don't arrive at work with crap slung up my back.

$500.00 max.

What do folks recommend?

Now, how about some of you runners out there -- are there any folks who
backed off on running and took up biking? If so, what was the effect on
your aerobic conditioning? I run 4 miles in 30 minutes and do 8 miles in
under 64 minutes -- my resting heartbeat is 46. If I put in an hour or so
on the bike, pumping hard and not coasting, will I get a similar aerobic
effect?

Thanks to all for your advice and assistance.
--

----
Joe S.

Old October 13th 03, 06:04 PM
Roger Zoul

Joe S. wrote:
:: I would appreciate advice in two areas: choosing a bicycle, and,
:: biking as aerobic exercise.
::
[...]

There are many models available. Do you want a road bike (or a touring
model) with drop handle bars or a hybrid with flat handle bars and smooth
skinny tires? Both would work for road riding. My Specialized
(http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...ionIdroot=gee5
7oqeyd.j27004) can take a rear rack but is outside of your range. The next
model down is about $800. Try your local bike shop and then them what you
told us. From the sounds of it, you may need to spend a bit more on a good
road bike (IMO).

::
:: Now, how about some of you runners out there -- are there any folks
:: who backed off on running and took up biking? If so, what was the
:: effect on your aerobic conditioning? I run 4 miles in 30 minutes
:: and do 8 miles in under 64 minutes -- my resting heartbeat is 46.
:: If I put in an hour or so on the bike, pumping hard and not
:: coasting, will I get a similar aerobic effect?

Sure. Though I'm not a runner and an inexperienced bike rider (why no one
else answered has responded is beyond me), I can tell you that if you haul
ass on a bike, you're keep or improve your aerobic conditioning. You simply
have to do it on a bike, which means moving faster than you can run. You can
spin faster and in higher gear (maybe not recommended to use high gear,
tho). You can use a heart rate monitor while you ride, to gauge your heart
rate (and to compared to your riding, maybe). You can sprint on a bike just
as you can while running.

::
::
:: Thanks to all for your advice and assistance.
:: --
::
:: ----
:: Joe S.

Old October 13th 03, 06:37 PM
Mann

I think that a lot depends on the level of your biking skills. Did you do a
lot
of riding when you were younger? If you are learning, you may never develop
the skills you need to go fast enough to get really good aerobic exercise.
Especially if you intend to stay on bike paths, where going fast can be
dangerous. And if you go on the road, are you going to be comfortable
enough with traffic to really hammer? Have you considered indoor biking -
spinning or similar? If you want pure aerobic exercise without impacting
your knees, that might be a good choice. You can focus on your training
without having to deal with traffic, walkers, bladers, dogs, and darkness.

Mann

Old October 13th 03, 07:17 PM
Per Elmsäter

Joe S. wrote:
I would appreciate advice in two areas: choosing a bicycle, and,
biking as aerobic exercise.

Get at least twice an expensive bike as you had intended and you will get
more out of it. It will be more enjoyable and you will be out there more
often.
As for aerobic exercising I don't think you can find anything better. I'm 53
and have been commuting for some years. Last year I bought a roadbike and
joined a club, with weekly rides etc. At the same time goin to a gym. Today
I feel like I did when I was twentyone. I'll never be like twenty again
but the difference is pretty marginal as far as my cardiovascular system
goes.

We have a 67 year old dude ( retired hockey player) in our club that just
joined same time as me. He's doing 30 km TTs in 47 minutes. That's faster
than anybody else in our club except the Elite racers.

As far as knees goes we have a 77 year old with two artificial knees that
gets really upset if he doesn't break 60 minutes on the same TT.

--
Perre

Old October 13th 03, 07:36 PM
Badger South

In article ,
Roger Zoul wrote:
Joe S. wrote:

snippage
[...]

I think the key is to use a heart rate monitor. Check your
monitor when running, and then duplicate on the bike.

Some of your running muscles may de-condition, like the
tibialis anterior.

But what about this strategy:

Run less miles, but still do some fartlek, and maybe a LSD run
on the weekend, and make up the rest of your training on the
bike.

Use the HR mon.

Use a timed run periodically to assure that you're not losing
your essential core conditioning.

You may find your running improves.

Also, at your level, if you keep conditioned on the bike, even
if it's less training stress, you should keep your ability to
get out and fun run for 5 years minimum, factoring in the
decline with age.

I only have anecdotal info, and no cites for this.

However, no matter how hard I ride on a bike (given I'm
restarting after not biking for many years), I find running
is tougher, and the runner's high is greater.

I'm -hoping- to recapture that high on the bike, since my
joints are not allowing me to run at present. I'm 50-something.
;-)

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 13th 03, 10:57 PM
Claire Petersky

"Joe S." wrote in message

I'm concerned at the pounding my knees and hips are taking from running --
all my running is on streets and roads and while I run on the grass as

much
as I can, it's 99.5 percent on the road.

This is why I gave up running -- certain joints wouldn't take it any more.

Most of my biking would be on streets with an occasional foray onto a
well-maintained, fairly wide, non-extreme local biking-walking trail.

As you become more experienced, you will find yourself more and more on the
street. If there's a local bike club in your area that does road riding, I
suggest you ride with more experienced roadies and learn from them while on
club rides.

I'd
like to be able to snap-on/snap-off a rack of some kind that would let me
haul a sack or groceries or my gym bag or my lunch when I go on the trail.

There's lots of these out there.

Also -- and I realize this is probably blasphemy -- but I want a rear

fender
so I don't arrive at work with crap slung up my back.

Not blasphemy at all. Most transportational riders want fenders.

$500.00 max.

What do folks recommend?

Going to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and telling them what you told us, and
seeing what they recommend. If you don't like them, or their attitude, find
a different LBS. Your relationship with the LBS is as least as important as
the bike you buy from them.

If you buy now, there are lots of shops trying to clear out their 2003
models and make room for Christmas merchandise, if they haven't already, so
you might be able to get a real deal.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky