Dia Compe parts

Old June 17th 14, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Dia Compe parts

I had a look around on the Dia Compe website the other day, and see they
have a range of equipment that is in direct competition with other big
names in bike components.

Does anyone use Dia Compe components on their racing, touring or
mountain bike?

How do they stack up in terms of cost and quality against other brands?

--
JS
Old June 17th 14, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 6/17/2014 1:48 AM, James wrote:
I had a look around on the Dia Compe website the other day, and see they
have a range of equipment that is in direct competition with other big
names in bike components.

Does anyone use Dia Compe components on their racing, touring or
mountain bike?

How do they stack up in terms of cost and quality against other brands?

Won't help much but I have Dia Compe XCE Canti breaks on my touring
bike. They're the originals so be working since 1993 or so. This
doesn't help much with today's Dia Compe but they seem to have made
things that last.

On the other hand, googling these brakes get you hits ranging from best
thing since sliced bread (no idea why someone would think this is
good...) to the worst brakes ever made.

What's the interest in Dia Compe? Hard to beat Shimano. 105 brakes are
pretty good for example...
Old June 17th 14, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/17/2014 7:56 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

Two different companies, one formerly Japanese, a new one
Taiwan ROC.

A lot of the current DiaCompe equipment is well made and
well priced, many in niche areas unserved by Shimano.

Yeah, sliced bread has its place I suppose but real bread is
torn.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 17th 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

day deliver to different market

availability in Yurp for parts we doahn see here isn't the same
Old June 17th 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/06/14 22:56, Duane wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I like to keep my options open, and I like competition between
manufacturers. Shimano stuff isn't the be all and end all, and in fact
there is nothing Shimano on my bike. I do use a pair of Shimano shoes,
however. They fit well.

--
JS
Old June 17th 14, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/06/14 23:20, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Andrew. I thought they used to be Japanese, and saw the .tw,
which made me wonder.

I'll keep them in mind when I have need of some new bits.

--
JS
Old June 17th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James wrote:
On 17/06/14 22:56, Duane wrote:
[...]

Wasn't implying Shimano is great. Just that the 105 brakes work well for
the price. My Bianchi is all dia compe and suntour. Was just wondering
why the interest in dia compe.

--
duane
Old June 18th 14, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

here, story is availability, reliability, costs, background, quality control, known product. Plebian but life goes on...it's like software. Do we get involved in software or do we proceed with why we bought the software ?

https://www.google.com/#q=world+lead...+parts&spell=1

Old June 18th 14, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, June 16, 2014 10:48:25 PM UTC-7, James wrote:

I had a look around on the Dia Compe website the other day, and see they
have a range of equipment that is in direct competition with other big
names in bike components.

Does anyone use Dia Compe components on their racing, touring or
mountain bike?

How do they stack up in terms of cost and quality against other brands?

I had a used pair of Royal Gran Compe 400's, but never used them
myself, and wound up selling them for the same $50 I paid.

They were among the most aesthetically pleasing bicycle parts that
I've had the pleasure of fondling.

I haven't much experience *using* brakes of any kind, really.