Total number of cyclists in the UK is fewer than the number ofuninsured drivers.

Old October 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Default Total number of cyclists in the UK is fewer than the number ofuninsured drivers.

Geraint Jones wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
| Your wife unexpected goes into labour early, with fairly regular
| contractions immediately, at 2:30am when public transport is not
| available where you reside. You'd decide to cycle to the hospital,
| or maybe just email them to send a monitor?
|
| There are lots of car journeys that can't be made by other means.

Are you arguing about "private car" journeys, or do you think our having
used a taxi in similar circumstances would make us essential car users?

Taxi services, especially if they are "private hire", are essentially
extremely inefficient uses of "private cars". There is much mileage
done going to collect, or returning from dropping off passengers, which
does not really happen with "normal" private car use. An interesting
statistic would be the ratio of fare carrying mileage to total mileage
for the nation's taxi fleet.

--
Matt B
Old October 21st 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea

"Matt B" wrote in message
Geraint Jones wrote:
Ian Smith wrote:
| Your wife unexpected goes into labour early, with fairly regular |
contractions immediately, at 2:30am when public transport is not |
available where you reside. You'd decide to cycle to the hospital, | or
maybe just email them to send a monitor?
| | There are lots of car journeys that can't be made by other means.

Are you arguing about "private car" journeys, or do you think our having
used a taxi in similar circumstances would make us essential car users?

Taxi services, especially if they are "private hire", are essentially
extremely inefficient uses of "private cars". There is much mileage done
going to collect, or returning from dropping off passengers, which does
not really happen with "normal" private car use. An interesting statistic
would be the ratio of fare carrying mileage to total mileage for the
nation's taxi fleet.

Although taxis can pick up other passengers en route from dropping you off
so that will tend to increase the efficiency.