Adjusting helmet

Old May 9th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

Default Adjusting helmet

On May 7, 10:13*pm, wrote:

Do you think cycling is a reasonable safe activity

Yes it is extremely safe providing you stay awake and understand what
you're doing.

especially if I stay on paved bike paths?

Most bike paths are more dangerous than riding on the street, since a
"bike path" is more likely a multi-use path, often underengineered for
cycling and strewn with dogs on leashes, meandering pedestrians etc.

However judiciously used in the off hours (6 AM ? or on a quite
weekday afternoon they can be a good place to start getting back on a
bike. They allow slow speeds and help a person get used to bike
handling again.

Stay off them on week-ends and after work when everyone and their dog
is out using them. Watch out for intersections with roads and other
paths ( I once almost hit a golf cart crossing one path).

I used to ride on the streets before and
just couldn't tolerate having cars that close to me. I need to work
off about 60 pounds of fat before I can go on a long ride anyway.

Personal experience and my reading of the cycling literature suggests
that you're better off riding on streets. Getting used to heavy
traffic is a problem and I'd suggest cruising some quite side streets
or residential streets as a start.

Also check out the local bike clubs. My old bike club in Ottawa used
to have rides for every level of ability and fitness. Riding with
some experienced riders who only go at 15 km/hr for short rides can be
a good way to get some exercise and build up road confidence.

If you have a back pack or better yet a rear carrier and pannier
(saddlebags) you might want to start making short trips (corner store,
library, even grocery shopping trips) as part of your routine. It gets
in the miles and lets you aclimatize to light traffic.

Depending on where you live you might , later, want to try riding at
rush hour in heavy traffic. This sounds silly but typically "rush"
hour traffic is a lot slower and more predicatable (since commuters
know where they are going) than at other times and it can help you to
get used to cars being close while they are travelling at low speeds

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old May 9th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 8, 11:08*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Frank Krygowski writes in part:

Cycling is a reasonably safe activity on paths or on streets.

Here's a rhetorical question:

Is cycling a reasonably safe activity that can be made more
dangerous, or is it a somewhat dangerous activity that can
be made more safe?

I'm a numbers guy. I look at the data, and say it's safe, by
comparison with other activities that are considered safe - which is
the only way to judge such a vague concept.

And FWIW, the term "somewhat dangerous" is also vague. It can be
applied to hundreds of very normal activities.

The best answer I've been able to come with is: there's
a huge difference between being able to make a bike go
without falling off, and being able to safely wend one's
way among throngs of people in traffic acting like
last-minute Christmas shoppers on the streets & roads
every day.

That's certainly true. It's also true of making a car go, operating a
motorcycle, or walking on two legs. That's why we don't let two-year-
olds walk alone on high-traffic streets, no matter how good they are
with their legs. That's why we don't let 13-year-olds drive in
traffic, even if they're experts with the clutch and gearshift.

IME, most people build their traffic cycling skills gradually, and
normally stay on streets that more or less fit their skill level.
I'll admit that most cyclists could be a whole lot better (just like
most motorists); but even with the low level of cycling skill in
America, cycling is still quite safe.

Another data point: I've got a paper reporting results of a survey of
people who said they exercised by cycling, walking, gardening,
aerobics, or weightlifting. Respondents were asked if they injured
themselves in the past month. Guess which activity had the fewest
injuries?

Yep. By that standard, bicycling was safer than all the others, even
gardening!

Powell, Kenneth et. al., "Injury Rates from Walking, Gardening,
Weighlifting, Outdoor Bicycling, and Aerobics," Medicine & Science in
Sports & Exercise, 1998, Vol. 30, pp. 1246-9

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

We actually have 2 major paths in town. The one by the river has been
taken over by walkers and ankle biters. The one I will be using is
much quieter. Only draw back is that I have to drive to get there.
It goes all the way down to a state park. If I make a complete loop it
would be about a 30 mile ride. They have plans in motions to hook up
bike paths in town and extend them further.

We also have mountain bike trails here that get rave reviews. Those
are on the list for when I'm in shape. I really need to become
acclimated to a bike again before I do anything serious. We have
groups that ride the trails at the park and there might be some other
clubs in town. I just seen 3 bikers in spandex hunched over on their
street bikes looking like they were on a mission.

I have a old trek mountain bike with rock shocks. Does having a
street bike make it that much easier riding on smooth pavement?

Chris
Old May 10th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
writes:
I took my bike down to the path today and went for my first real ride.
Actually it wouldn't even be a warm up for most of you guys. I rode
for about 4 miles and the hills wore me out.
The path is very nice. I seen 2 joggers but it was mostly quiet.
There are a few intersections but they have bike crossings that stop
all traffic.

I can't wait to go again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like you're hooked. You've rediscovered that
certain, simple, exuberant joy of riding a bicycle.
It feels pretty good, doesn't it?

I've stopped drinking all soda and limiting
the sweets. My goal is to bring my weight back down to 185 from 250
before the summer is over and have fun doing it.

I wish you every satisfaction in achieving your
goals. Especially the having fun part. I think
one of the best things about bicycling as exercise
is, it isn't drudgery -- at least for those who
truly enjoy riding.

As for hills and distances, you have to answer
only to yourself. You can ride in your own way,
in your own time, and for your own purposes,
without being concerned about what other people
think. It is only /your/ prerogotive that matters.

But I think you'll soon find those hills becoming
shallower, and those distances just naturally
becoming longer.

And y'know what? There's no shame in walking
your bike up a hill if you don't want to ride it.
Heck, that's exercise, too. And you still get to
see what's on the other side of the hill.

In fact, one of my favourite pastimes is to ride to
a distant neighbourhood, community or municipality,
just to dismount and walk around, thereby getting a
more intimate experience of that particular locale.
Then I mount-up and ride to somewhere else, and walk
around some more.

If you'd like to try that approach, here's a tip:
it's easiest to walk a bike with one hand on the
saddle, pushing it. Leave the handlebar alone.
You can easily steer the bike by leaning it. Then
you don't have a handlebar end poking into your
ribcage, and you can simultaneously nibble on some
trail mix or sip a cup of coffee with the free hand.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 11th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom_Sherman

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]
Another data point: I've got a paper reporting results of a survey of
people who said they exercised by cycling, walking, gardening,
aerobics, or weightlifting. Respondents were asked if they injured
themselves in the past month. Guess which activity had the fewest
injuries?

Yep. By that standard, bicycling was safer than all the others, even
gardening![...]

Hey Frank,

Be sure to wear your gardening helmet!

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old May 11th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 9, 12:39*pm, wrote:
I took my bike down to the path today and went for my first real ride.
Actually it wouldn't even be a warm up for most of you guys. I rode
for about 4 miles and the hills wore me out.

Not bad at all for a first ride in that many years. Hills do have a
tendency to wear one out but it gets better with time.

The path is very nice. I seen 2 *joggers but it was mostly quiet.
There are a few intersections but they have bike crossings that stop
all traffic.

Sounds like a fairly decent path but watch out for the crossings.
Motorists are often a bit blind.

I can't wait to go again. I've stopped drinking all soda and limiting
the sweets. My goal is to bring my weight back down to 185 from 250
before the summer is over and have fun doing it.

With a combination like that, I think you're well on your way. Even
if you don't hit the magic 185 you will still be a lot healther and
feel a lot better.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Old May 12th 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 11, 1:19*pm, John Kane wrote:
On May 9, 12:39*pm, wrote:

I took my bike down to the path today and went for my first real ride.
Actually it wouldn't even be a warm up for most of you guys. I rode
for about 4 miles and the hills wore me out.

Not bad at all for a first ride in that many years. Hills do have a
tendency to wear one out but it gets better with time.

Hmm. Well, for me hills got better with time for a long while. But a
few decades more time seem to make the hills worse!

Weird, isn't it?

- Frank Krygowski

Adjusting headsets PJay UK 2 April 28th 06 12:30 AM
Adjusting headsets PJay UK 2 April 12th 06 08:34 PM
FS: Giro Pneumo Lone Star Edition helmet w/ helmet pod Robbie Brown Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 03:44 PM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Racing 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM
published helmet research - is helmet good thing or bad? Just zis Guy, you know? Social Issues 0 July 30th 04 08:51 AM