Usenet providers

Old June 10th 14, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Default Usenet providers

For quite a few years now I've been using Abasani and
eternal-September with no real problems. Occasional slow down's but
generally good service.

However, for about the past couple of weeks both sites have been
unavailable from, say 16:00 local time- until sometime after I go to
bed. In the morning they are available again, all bright eyed and
bushy tailed.

Now then, we are having a coup here and I believe that some local
sites that supported one or the other of the two major groups that
were practically at war were shut down but I've not heard anything
official about foreign connections and while Agent is reporting that
it cannot connect to the server, I can be merrily downloading
something from an overseas site, so I don't think that is the problem.

Does anyone else use either of these sites and are you having problems
similar to mine.

Note that we are roughly a half a day different in clock time from the
U.S.

--
Cheers,

Jphn B.
Old June 10th 14, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John White[_2_]

In article ,
John B. wrote:

[...]

I use eternal-september from the US, and haven't seen any problems at
any time, including early to mid morning here.
Old June 10th 14, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

John B. wrote:
[...]

I'm using Eternal-September without any apparent issues. But the time that
I'd notice is probably a lot different than you.

--
duane
Old June 10th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/9/2014 7:31 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Eternal September seems fine here.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 10th 14, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
User Bp

John B. wrote:

For quite a few years now I've been using Abasani and
eternal-September with no real problems. Occasional slow down's but
generally good service.

However, for about the past couple of weeks both sites have been
unavailable from, say 16:00 local time- until sometime after I go to
bed. In the morning they are available again, all bright eyed and
bushy tailed.

I've been using Albasani for a couple of years now. It went down
briefly a few months ago but seems to be working well now.

Old June 10th 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/9/2014 6:31 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

I have noticed 'no messages on server' (which is not
believable for RBT) and then a few hours later I check back
and all seems well including posts dated during the previous
error. Hey, it's free.

A coup often sounds like a good idea but often ends with
worse than the original problem. Best of luck to the
generals that they might change your fish soup back to an
aquarium once more.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 10th 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 19:57:48 -0400, John White
wrote:

In article ,
John B. wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all that replied. So... if the Usenet provider isn't at
fault, the next step is my Internet provider... who does have a
history of actually furnishing less then advertised speeds.

--
Cheers,

Jphn B.
Old June 10th 14, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 06:45:58 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 6/9/2014 6:31 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

As a general statement, recent coups have been perpetrated mainly by
the intent of getting rid of a political overlord who is seen as less
then ideal. Chatchai was deposed by a coup and the excuse was that he
was overseeing the most corrupt regime in the history of the
country.... which most people agreed was true although Chatchai, as an
individual was well liked. The "Thaksin Dynasty" was seen as massively
corrupt with vote buying, appointing relatives to positions of
authority in various ministries, blatant crowd pleasing acts, such as
the rice pledging scheme, that are financially crippling the country
and even passing acts in the parliament to excuse the Leader from
paying taxes.

However, this is not to say that the present Junta is snowy white. We
will just have to wait and see.

--
Cheers,

Jphn B.
Old June 11th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The perceived problem may stem from a substantial increase in traffic generated by the destabilization not from difficulties from controlling interests within the coup body.

Speeds at Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral, slowed before launch. With the Shuttle 24/48 hours before breakfast till after the evening news.

Old June 12th 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:57:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/9/2014 7:31 PM, John B. wrote:

For quite a few years now I've been using Abasani and
eternal-September with no real problems. Occasional slow down's but
generally good service.

However, for about the past couple of weeks both sites have been
unavailable from, say 16:00 local time- until sometime after I go to
bed. In the morning they are available again, all bright eyed and
bushy tailed.

Now then, we are having a coup here...

Ooo, I missed that the first read. Wow! Yeah, that is something
to consider as a significantly possible cause of service disruption.

and I believe that some local
sites that supported one or the other of the two major groups that
were practically at war were shut down but I've not heard anything
official about foreign connections and while Agent is reporting that
it cannot connect to the server, I can be merrily downloading
something from an overseas site, so I don't think that is the problem.

Does anyone else use either of these sites and are you having problems
similar to mine.

Note that we are roughly a half a day different in clock time from the
U.S.

Eternal September seems fine here.

(last jab for now; I promise)

I kind of like the way you demand hard, quantifiable data for
something like the feel of riding a bike, but when it comes to
electronic data transmission, "seems fine" is good enough ;-)

Searching for Wholsale Providers DenverHelpDesk Marketplace 0 April 1st 10 06:51 PM
What is Usenet for? Simon Brooke Mountain Biking 1 January 1st 08 02:29 AM
What is Usenet for? Simon Brooke UK 0 December 28th 07 09:21 AM
tour providers in France Laura General 10 October 14th 03 03:16 AM
tour providers in France Laura Rides 9 October 14th 03 03:16 AM