Someone from Australia has been lying to me

Old February 1st 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Someone from Australia has been lying to me

On Jan 31, 2:35*pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
James wrote:
On 1/02/2012 2:25 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank Krygowski:

Incidentally, one "body language" trick is, when you want a motorist to
not pull across your path, keep pedaling. Or at least, mimic pedaling
by spinning the cranks at zero power, even if you're really coasting.

That's a "keeper".

A friend has a woman drive up along side, looked straight at him. He
thought, "Oh, cool. She's checking me out." Wrong. She turn left with
him beside her. Around the corner they both went, my mate leaning
against the woman's car.

Body language and eye contact is not going to save you from a dipstick,
and there are more dipsticks out there than Frank would have you think.

That said, I had a pleasant ride last night on some busy roads with
narrow left lanes. No bike lane, just a hard gutter. I purposely rode
close to the gutter, to encourage close passes. Count - zero.

Wow. *In a weird way, I admire your dedication. *What's next, riding in
the actual gutter, to prove it can be done?

I rode down to the city center today, then back out to a suburban
library on a route I don't normally ride. *Quite a few times I
controlled the lane, forcing cars to change lanes at least partially to
pass me. *No close passes for me either.

One woman did honk just before we both stopped side by side at a traffic
light. *She scowled wonderfully, but refused to meet my gaze.

I bet you that quite a few times the driver thought you were an
asshole.
Old February 1st 12, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 01/02/12 15:34, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:35 pm, Frank
wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

I often think some drivers are assholes, but it does nothing to change
their bad driving.

The problem comes when the driver goes beyond thinking you are an
asshole, to actually doing something about it.

For that reason, I prefer not causing them to think I'm an asshole
unless I deem it necessary.

--
JS.
Old February 1st 12, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Feb 1, 9:38*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
And I'll grant that if I were on a bicycle doing 35 mph and approaching
a car that might make a turn across my path, I'd be as worried as if I
were on the motorcycle.

James wrote:
Speeds of 35 mph are not uncommon for me while riding my bicycle.

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Aren't the pro teams still recruiting for the Tour? You should apply!

35mph for a couple of blocks is unremarkable for your typical fit cyclist.

Great. *Now I'm feeling inadequate...

An excerpt from my evening ride, recorded by my Garmin bike
computer...

Statistics:
Stops 0
Dist(km) 2.0
Time 0h2m18s
Speed(km/h) 52.95
Altitude delta (m) -28
Gradient (%) -1.4
Heartrate (ave) 166

--
JS.
Old February 1st 12, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Ok, Jay made me choke on my coffee. You made it spray through my nose.

Old February 1st 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 1/31/2012 10:49 PM, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Jan 31, 3:38 pm, Frank
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Aren't the pro teams still recruiting for the Tour? You should apply!

35mph for a couple of blocks is unremarkable for your typical fit cyclist.

Great. Now I'm feeling inadequate...

--
- Frank Krygowski

There, there, Frank. All you have to do is make up some less worthy
folks. It's simple. Start by making a statement beginning "There are
people who ...." Then complete the statement by tarnishing your
fictional characters by ascribing to them some negative trait(s). The
traits don't even have to real flaws, just something that YOU get
excited ranting about. Then you can pretend you are superior and feel
better about yourself.
You know . . . the way you usually do.
http://bit.ly/AlpNKV

I guess in a world where the unexpected happens at every turn, it's good
to see some consistency.

Old February 1st 12, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Sure, take the road when necessary (and in accordance with local law),
but this whole " I controlled traffic" thing makes me gag. Frank
goes out and controls traffic on some suburban street on the way to a
library. I would like to see that street because if it anything like
the suburban streets around here, all you do is ride down it as far
right as practicable, and the cars go around -- and not too closely
because we have a safe passing law, and everyone gets along. No
controlling anything. My local library and frequent commute route.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37892960@N00/5765898851/ The liquor
store is off to the right, which is a more common destination. Again,
there are times when you take the road, but from Frank's posts, it
sounds like all the time.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 1st 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

I rode down to the city center today, then back out to a suburban
library on a route I don't normally ride. *Quite a few times I
controlled the lane, forcing cars to change lanes at least partially to
pass me. *No close passes for me either.

One woman did honk just before we both stopped side by side at a traffic
light. *She scowled wonderfully, but refused to meet my gaze.

I bet you that quite a few times the driver thought you were an
asshole.

Could be. Only one showed any displeasure at all, though. And
everything I did was protected by law, so to speak. Ohio's law, like
that of many other states, is pretty clear that a bicyclist doesn't
have to share a lane that's too narrow to safely share.

If I were running red lights or worse, they'd have a right to be
annoyed. As it is, they have no more justification than the guy who
tailgates me driving on a freeway. I'll kowtow to neither. I have a
right to the road.

- Frank Krygowski

Old February 1st 12, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 1, 12:54*am, James wrote:

I often think some drivers are assholes, but it does nothing to change
their bad driving.

The problem comes when the driver goes beyond thinking you are an
asshole, to actually doing something about it.

For that reason, I prefer not causing them to think I'm an asshole
unless I deem it necessary.

Right. And again, I'll certainly share a lane that I can safely
share. In fact, I'll take a quieter parallel street, when available,
rather than cause too much inconvenience to motorists on a busy
street.

But sometimes I need to ride where some motorists might get annoyed.
Their annoyance doesn't remove my right to the road.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 1st 12, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

[...]

If you were running red lights but not impeding them (or otherwise
interfering with their safe travel in any way, shape, or form - except
maybe to upset their righteous indignation, which is - in the final
analysis - their problem), they would be justified? (Everybody has a
"right" to be annoyed about anything.) However, if you deliberately
impede their forward progress, because *you* judge it to be necessary
- then their annoyance is not justified - because *you* think so.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is.

Old February 1st 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 1, 10:42*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

Sure, take the road when necessary (and in accordance with local law),
but this whole " I controlled traffic" thing makes me gag. * Frank
goes out and controls traffic on some suburban street on the way to a
library. *I would like to see that street because if it anything like
the suburban streets around here, all you do is ride down it as far
right as practicable, and the cars go around...

You misunderstand.

I rode down though the main city center to a class I'm taking. After
class, I rode out of town on one of the two main business streets that
go in that direction. That street is four narrow lanes the entire
way. I rode about in the middle of the right lane for, oh, about
three miles or so, until I could take some quieter residential streets
for part of the way. But even then, I was on a narrow two-lane
residential collector for a while, and on another residential
collector with four amazingly narrow (maybe 9'?) lanes for the last
half mile or so.

Downtown, on those narrow streets, and in many other places I rode at
lane center. I did that on all residential streets, although most had
no marked lanes. I did that any time a car could not safely pass me
in mid-lane. Only one motorist all day expressed any annoyance, which
didn't matter to me. All others peacefully changed lanes or simply
waited until it was safe to pass.

Gag if you like, but that was control enough for me. What's the
alternative, let them squeeze by brushing my left elbow? Sorry, I
think that's dumb.

And BTW, none of the streets I rode look like your photo, which seems
to show a very smooth, ridable shoulder.

Again,
there are times when you take the road, but from Frank's posts, it
sounds like all the time.

I'd say you need to re-read, perhaps taking notes. I invariably share
lanes whenever it's safe to do so. If you or others choose to
compromise your safety to avoid slightly irritating your automotive
"superiors," fine. Do they give posthumous award for excessive
deference?

- Frank Krygowski