"Lack of Open Trails Causes Illegal Mountain Biking"

Old December 6th 07, 03:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "Lack of Open Trails Causes Illegal Mountain Biking"

Right. And lack of free money "causes" bank robberies.

Mike

Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:44:29 -0800 (PST)
From: michael vitti
Subject: MTBs & Self Monitoring

Well, when a land manager demands that MTBers need to
self monitor...I usually ask them if I can have a
badge and a six shooter, then I ask for help in
rassling up a posse!

It's not the wild west any longer.

My point is...leave the enforcement activities to the
police. It's irresponsible and downright foolish for
an ordinary citizen to try and enforce rules and
regulations. You can get punched or worse!

It also exposes the land manager to huge risks of
liability if someone gets hurt while trying to enforce
"their" rules.

Also ponder this...it's the land manager's lack of
planning to accomodate a growing mountain bike
population that has caused the loss of natural
resources via rogue trail building. If they allow
mountain bikers to help design exciting trails for all
ability levels...there would be less need for rogue
trails to be built.

If you build it they will come...if you don't build it
they will come and build it anyway.

The majority on MTBers realize access is a priveledge
and will develop a community of caretakers for the
forest...if given the chance.

Sometimes MTBers are in the same boat as
politicians...the actions of a few bad apples ruin the
reputation for all MTBers.

Ride safe and happy trails,

Mike

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande