Some general info needed

Old December 5th 07, 08:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bob Landry

Default Some general info needed

I have one of the first generation Stumpjumpers. I am trying to bring
it up to date. I've been away from biking for years and am trying to
get back into it, so I have some questions about equipment.

1. The original thumb shifters are toast, so I'd like to go to the
newer click shifters. Will these work with the original derailleurs,
or do I have to upgrade those as well?

2. Can I mount V-brakes in place of the original straddle cable
brakes? The bike now has a bull-moose integrated stem and bars; I'd
like to upgrade this as well, so do I need some additional hardware
(cable hangers, etc.) when I do this?

3. Is there sufficient dropout spacing to go to a 7-speed rear
cluster, or do I just ignore the number 7 position?

4. I have a Schwinn (my wife's, she can no longer ride) with SRAM bar
end shifters. Could I just swap these (and the derailleurs) straight
over?

If this isn't the right group for these questions, could someone point
me to the correct one?

Much thanks for any help!

Bob
Just another nice basic flake.
(and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th
Old December 5th 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Dec 5, 3:52 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob,

Welcome back. An old stumpjumper should be a decent ride for what you
want to do. I'm no expert, but I ride and tinker a bit so I'll offer
a little input, and a recommendation.

1) By "click" shifters do you mean indexed shifting? If so, is that
implying that you had thumb shifters that were friction? I've never
seen or heard of such a thing, not to say it doesn't exist. Anyway,
assuming the derailers are indexed, newer indexed thumb shifters
should work just fine. If you meant grip shift, the answer stays the
same, but I should mention that thumb shifters are still extremely
common and from what I see more popular than grip shifters. That
said, I love my grip shift.

2) I assume by "straddle cable" you mean cantilever. If I'm correct,
you'll need new levers or some sort of gizmo intended to alter the
cable pull to make canti levers work with V brakes. I'd just get a
cheap set of V brake levers. You may run into other issues as well,
I'm not sure.

3) Assuming the bike is a 6 speed now, a 7 speed freewheel should fit
though you may need a washer. See http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html

4) Bar-end, as in road bike? I'll let someone else handle this one, I
don't know.

5) While this group is just fine, rec.bicycles.tech would likely be a
better bet. There is way more traffic, it's based on stuff like this,
and you'll likely get all the info you need and more in the fraction
of the time it'll take to get anywhere here.

So, what's international pipe raising day?

Dan
Old December 5th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Dec 5, 12:52 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
I have one of the first generation Stumpjumpers. I am trying to bring
it up to date.

Well, you probably need to put 29" wheels on it and a little bit of
every other hype that's come down the pike in the last 20 years or
so. Either that, or you could turn it into a singlespeed for cheap
and just have fun riding a bike instead of a hypecycle.

JD

Old December 5th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Bob Landry

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:21:04 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 3:52 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the help Dan! International Pipe Raising Day is when pipe
smokers around the world pledge to bring pipe-smoking back into
general awareness by flaunting our briars, meerschaums, clays, etc.

Old December 5th 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

On Dec 5, 5:53 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:21:04 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 5, 3:52 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
[...]

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th- Hide quoted text -

Get a set of Sram 5.0 grip shifters cheap. Now tune them in and ride
its that easy.
Old December 5th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Bob Landry" wrote in message

Thanks for the help Dan! International Pipe Raising Day is when pipe
smokers around the world pledge to bring pipe-smoking back into
general awareness by flaunting our briars, meerschaums, clays, etc.

Nice. My Dad has a nice collection of meerschaums. I'll have to mention
this to him.

Greg
--
Coming soon to a desert near you:
http://lodesertprotosites.org/pokerrun/pokerrun.html

Old December 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Dec 5, 5:53 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:21:04 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 5, 3:52 pm, Bob Landry
wrote:
[...]

No problem. Thanks for the reply on the 20th, that's pretty nifty.
If I remember maybe I'll raise a pipe at some point that day.