How accurate are power meters?

Old December 29th 13, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Treadmills: was: How accurate are power meters?

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:49:46 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Have you tried music?

During cold weather, I try to spend an hour a day on an elliptical
machine - but I couldn't do it without music.

I tried music, and I tried reading. Reading was a failure, although I love to read. Somehow I couldn't focus attention well enough. (I should mention, I was on rollers, not on a wind trainer, so it was necessary to steer.)

Music was better, but not sufficient. Nothing I could do would cure the boredom of roller riding for me.

My wife was much more disciplined than I. She put many, many more miles on the rollers than I ever did. But in recent years, neither of us ride them.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 31st 13, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 09:49:46 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Have you tried music?

I was forcibly exposed to "music" all through my youth; I never quite
learned to block it out, but I did learn to be thoroughly unable to
listen, even when I wanted to.

I did try reading once. It worked great until I had to turn the page.
But totally-unrelated distractions from the horrible boringness won't
do; I have a hard enough time rousting myself out for exercise that I
enjoy once I get going. I need exercise that accomplishes something
or gets me somewhere.

And takes a little more effort than my treadle sewing machine. (Not
to mention that sewing takes hours of set-up but very little time is
spent operating the machine.)

There's a limit to such tricks as parking as far as possible from the
door, keeping the envelopes and letterhead in different rooms, etc.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/

Old December 31st 13, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Would be worth folks while to check out Tom Compton's excellent site:
http://www.analyticcycling.com/ForcesPower_Page.html