Tubular rim glue ???

Old February 27th 04, 06:10 AM
Trackie

Default Tubular rim glue ???

My track riding partner had a crash the other week and is now sporting an artificial shoulder and the reason for his crash has been identified as the wrong type of glue (as well as not enough) on his tubular tyre.
As I have a Yanky mate that can get tubular glue for me and is even willing to send it it to me, But has no knowledge of cycling, let alone the noble sport of track riding. What is a good brand of tubular glue in America? The "multi purpose" glues here in New Zealand are obviously a bit dodgy.

Thanks in advance
Trackie, or more commonly "The Old one"

Old February 27th 04, 12:19 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 02/26/2004 11:10 PM, in article , "Trackie"
wrote:

My track riding partner had a crash the other week and is now sporting an
artificial shoulder and the reason for his crash has been identified as the
wrong type of glue (as well as not enough) on his tubular tyre.
As I have a Yanky mate that can get tubular glue for me and is even willing to
send it it to me, But has no knowledge of cycling, let alone the noble sport
of track riding. What is a good brand of tubular glue in America? The "multi
purpose" glues here in New Zealand are obviously a bit dodgy.

What brand of tubbies are you using?

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old February 27th 04, 01:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

ro- What is a good brand of tubular glue in America? BRBR

Either Continental or Vittoria, both are specific to tubies and work well.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old February 27th 04, 01:57 PM
Calvin Jones

"Trackie" wrote in message ...
My track riding partner had a crash the other week and is now sporting an artificial shoulder and the reason for his crash has been identified as the wrong type of glue (as well as not enough) on his tubular tyre.
As I have a Yanky mate that can get tubular glue for me and is even willing to send it it to me, But has no knowledge of cycling, let alone the noble sport of track riding. What is a good brand of tubular glue in America? The "multi purpose" glues here in New Zealand are obviously a bit dodgy.

Thanks in advance
Trackie, or more commonly "The Old one"

The gluing procedures and techniques are typically as critical, if not
more critcal, than the brand of glue. (There are, however, some very
pour brands as well.)

For gluing procedure see:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/tubular.shtml
Old February 27th 04, 03:59 PM
John Everett

http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~ktl/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old February 27th 04, 04:26 PM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:10:23 +1300, Trackie wrote:

My track riding partner had a crash the other week and is now sporting an artificial shoulder and the reason for his crash has been identified as the wrong type of glue (as well as not enough)

Any tubular glue would be plenty strong enough, if applied properly and if
the tires are decent. I think blaming the glue for your friend's accident
deflects attention from the real issue -- it's the "too little" part that
is a problem.

I have used Tubasti, Clement, and Fas-Tac (automotive trim adhesive). All
worked fine except on one brand of tire (Wolber) whose base tape came
loose due to, I was told, incompatibility between the glue they used and
the rim cement I was using. Since I never had any trouble with any other
tire that way, I tend to think there that the fault was with Wolber.

If you want seriously well-glued tires; put a layer on the tire, and a
layer on the rim. Let dry, then put the tire on the rim. I have had to
use tools to remove tires glued on that way. Impossible to cause trouble
on the track. On the road, though, any glue can be overheated in a
serious downhill with lots of braking.

For the track, you can also use shellac. Much harder glue, less rolling
resistance. PITA to fix a flat.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |

Old February 27th 04, 04:30 PM
Ted B

I've been using the TUFO tubular adhesive tape, and it works very, ver
well. No more glue

-

Old February 27th 04, 04:50 PM
daveornee

http://www.engr.ukans.edu/~ktl/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf[/url]

Great article John! This article is very detailed and helpful. Qualit
information like this helps tubular riders ride with maximum safet
and security

-

Old February 27th 04, 05:12 PM
John Dacey

"Aut potentior te, aut imbecillior laesit: si imbecillior, barce ille;
si potentior, tibi." - Seneca
On 27 Feb 2004 19:10:23 +1300, "Trackie" wrote:

My track riding partner had a crash the other week and is now sporting
an artificial shoulder and the reason for his crash has been identified as
the wrong type of glue (as well as not enough) on his tubular tyre.

It seems particularly cruel to blame the victim whenever someone
suffers more than a little road rash, but if a crash is initiated by a
rolled tire, it generally has to be regarded as a self-inflicted
wound. Although some rim adhesives can be better than others, failure
to follow proper gluing technique is far and away the most likely
culprit when rims and tires go their separate ways.

As I have a Yanky mate that can get tubular glue for me and is even
willing to send it it to me, But has no knowledge of cycling, let alone
the noble sport of track riding. What is a good brand of tubular glue in
America? The "multi purpose" glues here in New Zealand are
obviously a bit dodgy.

Because the adhesive securing track tires won't generally have to
suffer the thermal problems associated with rims superheated from
brake pad friction and track racing rarely happens in the rain,
arguably the selection of a glue for track use is less critical than
for road racing. Even so, I have rather less confidence in some brands
than others. I believe that Vittoria Mastik One, Continental and Soyo
rim cements are all solid choices. An automotive trim adhesive from 3M
("Fast Tack") is also popular among track racers, notable for its fast
cure time compared to dedicated rim cement.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Now in our twenty-first year.
Our catalogue of track equipment: eighth year online.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old February 27th 04, 05:25 PM
Mike S.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
ro- What is a good brand of tubular glue in America? BRBR

Either Continental or Vittoria, both are specific to tubies and work well.

Of the two, I like the Conti in the big tub better. Love that built-in
brush!

Mike

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria