Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

Old January 25th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:26:59 AM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:03:09 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:45:49 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:

Snipped

For less than $70.00 I had a good custom bike builder put brazeons onto a vintage Miele frame that has touring geometry. The brazeons were a pair of cantlever bosses on the rear seatstays, a cantilever cable stop bridge and a pair of rear rack mounts on the seatstays. He also added a pair of bottle mounts under the downtube. I spent another $50.00 for a new front fork with cantilever mounts and low rider rack mounts. This bike now does all that I need a touring bike to do and the rear chainsyay/seatstay mounted kickstand is worth its weight in gold.

Cheers

ooooo

and what of the blistered paint on the ID ?

ID? If you mean on the paint on interior of the tubes there's no paint there to worry about blistering. The very small areas of the exterior black paint that was damage was very easily touched up.

Cheers
Old January 25th 13, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, January 25, 2013 2:57:02 AM UTC-5, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 24, 3:28*pm, wrote:

i broke, at the bb, a long hault turcker, and becasue i had put some stickers on the bike and had spray painted about a two inch section, surly denied my warranty request!!! i had extensive correspondence with steve falgg that i would be happy to forward to anyone...

in short surly doesnt give a damn about you. period. *the sell huge volume. *they dont care about ****ing anyone off. there bikes are ok; and some break. but they dont care.

i have since ourchased a soma saga and it is a better bike in the same price range; and by FAR the better bike in the same price range is the Velo Orange Campeur.

best,

mike

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:47:06 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for a Surly Long Haul

Trucker frame.

*BUT*

The Surly website says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*

on the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not

designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a

chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/

seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for

$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime

limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited

warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring

frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel

BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short

warranty period from Surly for the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped

a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period

will be immensely appreciated by me.

Ride Bike!

Since getting those brazeons put on and then attaching arear and front rack plus a lowrider front rack that bikes gets ridden a lot. It's fantastic for getting lots of groceries with now.

Cheers
Old January 25th 13, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&...1 4,s:0,i:127
Old January 25th 13, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:43:45 AM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&...1 4,s:0,i:127

What the heck does Flax have to do with this topic?

Cheers
Old January 25th 13, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:55:31 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, January 25, 2013 7:43:45 AM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&...1 4,s:0,i:127

What the heck does Flax have to do with this topic?

Cheers

$$$$$$$

http://www.otrcat.com/z/jack-webb4.png
Old January 25th 13, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 23:57:02 -0800, Dan O wrote:

snip

Ride Bike!

SNIP!
--
davethedave
Old January 25th 13, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:00:35 PM UTC-7, landotter wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:47*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

Can't tell you why--if it baffles you, write Surly. I wouldn't worry

much, though--those things are rock solid. D. just broke the dropout

on his Cross-Check, with a lighter tubeset--after five years of urban

abuse, jumping it, and CX racing. One of the hardest riders I know. He

could have had A. fix the dropouts--but after so many years, he felt

that a new frame of the exact model, color, and size would be the best

choice--as he's also a dealer. I believe the old frame will stick

around as a shop ceiling curio.

I consider 5 years of racing to be nothing whatsoever. I have around 20,000 miles on a Look 247 Tour Replica and if any Look part were to break on it I would be flabbergasted. In my 30+ years of riding I have had ONE component break and that was extremely bad workmanship on the part of ITM whom I would recommend no one ever buy ANYTHING from. Even a piece of paper. I was nearly killed and to them it was a chuckle.

In short - I would be concerned if Long Haul Trucker does not offer at least a 10 year warranty and especially if they cannot handle a kick-stand. That is especially weird. If they're worried about after market kickstands then all they would have to do is supply a workable kickstand or recommend those that would work. Or do they have the wheelbase so shrunken that a kickstand simply won't fit? If that's so it would hardly be a "long haul trucker" indicating a touring bike.
Old January 25th 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 28, 2011 1:32:42 PM UTC-6, Chalo wrote:
T∅m Sherm∀n wrote: Wonder why touring bicycles do not come equipped with centerstands? Because there are more people likely to be turned off by the added cost, weight, or mere presence of a stand than there are who consider it to be a worthy feature? This is America, T∅m. Automatic transmissions, "warm white" (non- white) CFLs, and department store HAUTL* bikes prevail in the marketplace, regardless of virtue or lack thereof. Many of us are able to develop, for lack of a better word, "refined" tastes without any corresponding improvement in overall judgment. Thus we have bike enthusiasts who reflexively avoid useful items like kickstands, fenders, reflectors and spoke protectors that could save them a passel of hassle. Chalo * Hideous Abomination Unto The Lord. Acronym to be used freely with or without attribution.

I don't recall kickstands working too well. The bike tends to tip over. I make sure I lean the bike against a solid wall so it cannot tip over. Or just lay it on the ground so it can't fallover. Much better to be sure than take the risk of a bike falling over with a kickstand. And for touring with loaded panniers? Kickstands definitely do not work for that. Might as well get of your bike and intentionally throw it on the ground as hard as you can. Same effect as using a kickstand.
Old January 25th 13, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
... and what anybody would call a spinner.

SHB: "... and NOT what anybody would call a spinner."
--
Pete Cresswell