Are cyclists allowed to race on public roads?

Old May 18th 05, 01:52 PM
RipVanWinkle

Default Are cyclists allowed to race on public roads?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I denounce any use of cycling on the roads, there I said it.

That seems very intolerant to me.

Old May 18th 05, 02:02 PM
Simonb

RipVanWinkle wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I denounce any use of cycling on the roads, there I said it.

That seems very intolerant to me.

Oooh.

Old May 18th 05, 02:07 PM
RipVanWinkle

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:53 GMT, "bossman jay"
wrote:

I went for a drive on Saturday in rural Stirlingshire, near where I live.
Between Drymen and Aberfoyle there was some sort of "official" bike race
going on. Within a 8 mile stretch I came across over 100 cyclists all

taking
part in the race, riding 3 or 4 abreast causing huge congestion. They

made
no effort to allow overtaking, of course as it was a race.
There were at times groups of 10 to 20 cyclists who were virtually
impossible to pass.

I got caught behind a group of 3-4 abreast racers on a country road.
Eventually got passed them and if I hadn't been late I would have
hogged the middle of the road and slowed down to a crawl.

If they are to race (and I have no strong objection to that) they
should have tighter rules and be disqualified for breaking them.

--
AnthonyL

While I totally undestand what you are saying, most cyclist that are racing
that I have come up behind are doing 25mph+
which on most country lanes is as much as most cars seem to manage, the cars
too hog the lane and wont move, let you past or speed up etc
so it all applies to them as well.

It boils down to everybody has a right to use the public highways. where you
like how they use them or not, provided that they are operating within the
law
then one should just have tolerence to others.
This also applies to Horses, Walkers, Farmers walking their cows back from
the fields ,Tractors etc etc etc.

Races on high speed A roads, yes well thats another matter and as in the
post further up the thread (the bus won)
it boils down to motorised traffic does not mix with human / animal powered
traffic. but there is need for it all.
which means we all have to give ground and tolerate each other on this tiny
island.

before you flame me for being a cyclist I am not, just a road user like
you. I dont like being heldup anymore than you do. but being as the cyclist
are getting a flaming on here , I have crossposted with uk.rec.cycling to
here the other side of the argument!!

Martin

Old May 18th 05, 02:23 PM
MartinM

If anyone wants to make a bad day even worse, or a very nice day, which
today is, not so nice, they might care to read the original thread on
uk.rec.driving ;-(

Old May 18th 05, 02:58 PM
davek

MartinM wrote:
If anyone wants to make a bad day even worse, or a very nice day,

which
today is, not so nice, they might care to read the original thread on
uk.rec.driving ;-(

I usually try not to bite on this kind of thread, but today I'm in the
mood for it... let battle commence! ;-)

d.

Old May 18th 05, 03:05 PM
JohnB

Vincent Wilcox wrote:

MartinM wrote:
If anyone wants to make a bad day even worse, or a very nice day, which
today is, not so nice, they might care to read the original thread on
uk.rec.driving ;-(

Does it go something like this?

Yeahbut. I pay road tax... they jump red lights... they ride on the
pavement... I see it all the time... I cant seem them because theyre
dressed in black... they dont have lights... they dont obey the rules...
they dont have any respect... petrol costs alot... they are all
outlaws... speed cameras are an illuminati threat... they dont have any
insurance... they deserve it... yadda yadda yadda.

i've just had a look. You're spot on.
They sure are jealous little children.

John B
Old May 18th 05, 03:14 PM
davek

Vincent Wilcox wrote:
Does it go something like this?

Omigod! You must be psychic!

d.

Old May 18th 05, 03:46 PM
MartinM

davek wrote:
Vincent Wilcox wrote:
Does it go something like this?

Omigod! You must be psychic!

in the same thread;

I think Highways Agency are trying to get it stopped...

any ideas what this refers to?