A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » Australia
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Talkback one eyed lunatics.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old May 15th 15, 12:52 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Jeßus[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

On Fri, 15 May 2015 08:16:40 +1000, somebody forging Peter Howard
wrote:

On 14/05/2015 6:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a situation
of making such a choice.


I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for my
liking.


You are quite right. You can't be expected to anticipate the possibility
of a slow moving vehicle like a tractor hauling hay, or a logging truck,
or a cyclist on a blind bend. Our brave Anzacs died for the motorists
right to drive with their heads stuck up their arse.


Interesting scenario there, no idea what it has to do with the one I
outlined. Our road rules say that a bicycle rider must stay as closely
to the left of the lane as possible. I'm supposed to give him up to 2m
clearance. Had he stayed to the left like he was supposed to, it
wouldn't have been an issue. But no, he cocked his head back as he
heard me approach, which caused him to veer further to the right,
until he was in the middle of our lane. At which point I had
insufficient time to brake and had to hope for the best by avoiding
both him and an oncoming vehicle on a tight bend.

Any tractor or logging truck wouldn't have been an issue - why would
it have been? The bike rider was perfectly visible to me just as any
tractor or truck would have been - that wasn't the problem. And where
the **** do Anzacs fit into all this?

But of course, it wouldn't matter what the rider said or did, as far
as you're concerned. Because he's entitled to be unreasonable. He's a
cyclist, after all. Unreasonable, just like you, evidently. Let's hope
you don't end up like a Jackson Pollack painting on some lonely road
some day. That would be such a shame. We need more reasonable people
like you to counter the stereotypical image of bike riders.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS:

Message-ID:
For the record, I did not write any of the posts in this thread using my
name where the email addy is given as

I'm normally only on rec.bicycles.tech but for some reason the simple
minded forger troll is using my name only on aus.bicycle and uk.rec.cycling
PH


All noted Peter. But I'm hitting send anyway... cbf editing and I've
added your post to this anyway
Ads
  #22  
Old May 15th 15, 12:54 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 192
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

Rod Speed wrote:


"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Pelican wrote:


"F Murtz" wrote in message
...
I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.
He has a bee in his bonnet about insurance associated with
license,which would in my opinion eventually make the license fee
expensive which is the case of all mandated insurance since the
beginning of time.
He would be better served to get government paid cover for the minute
cases of third party claims against bicycles.(every so often a bicycle
knocks some one down injuring and even killing where the victim has no
cover and can not identify the culprit)
It is not worth registration just for revenge against the rider,it is
better to cover the third party through special govt.paid insurance
and would be much cheaper than an other licensing monolith.
It would mean that I would never ride again as it is rare that I do
and would not be worth it (I sometimes take train with bicycle to the
city or places like Gosford for use at the other end)

There are quite a few proposals floating around. For example, this one
-
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226738618261.

It's a democracy, so feel free to make your views heard. Write to the
Minister, and have your say. For what it's worth, I don't like your
idea of a government scheme. I would much prefer a private scheme by
the insurance industry, if possible, backed by law making it compulsory
for bike riders, or bikes, to be registered in a way that makes it
self-funding. The simpler, the better.


No such animal as the simpler the better once it starts


Dunno.

The small cost of third party claims paid by government would be nothing


Dunno, given the very high accident rate seen with cyclists, that's
a hard claim to substantiate. Corse it is covered by Medicare already.


I would have thought that the accident rate with cyclists would be
covered by the car third party, as few cycle accidents are caused by
cycles causing injury to third parties

against the overall cost of compulsory licensing and insurance for all
bike riders,


Also not clear what it would cost if the RTA did it, just adding
that to the current stuff for cars and trucks and trailers and drivers.

a complete new industry


No need for anything like that and it would be mad to go that route.

with the insurers licking their lips at the new windfall,


Not if it's a single small fee paid once with a
new bike sale as Abbott's sister proposes.

which would increase as it takes hold, the same as it did for all
mandated insurance cover, compulsory auto third party compulsory
building insurance etc,


The cost has in fact dropped at times with law changes.

loads more govt staff to run licensing etc.


Not if its just a license with no testing involved.

Not that I am saying it should happen, it shouldn't IMO.


  #23  
Old May 15th 15, 01:17 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Pelican
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.



"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Rod Speed wrote:


"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Pelican wrote:


"F Murtz" wrote in message
...
I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.
He has a bee in his bonnet about insurance associated with
license,which would in my opinion eventually make the license fee
expensive which is the case of all mandated insurance since the
beginning of time.
He would be better served to get government paid cover for the minute
cases of third party claims against bicycles.(every so often a bicycle
knocks some one down injuring and even killing where the victim has no
cover and can not identify the culprit)
It is not worth registration just for revenge against the rider,it is
better to cover the third party through special govt.paid insurance
and would be much cheaper than an other licensing monolith.
It would mean that I would never ride again as it is rare that I do
and would not be worth it (I sometimes take train with bicycle to the
city or places like Gosford for use at the other end)

There are quite a few proposals floating around. For example, this one
-
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226738618261.

It's a democracy, so feel free to make your views heard. Write to the
Minister, and have your say. For what it's worth, I don't like your
idea of a government scheme. I would much prefer a private scheme by
the insurance industry, if possible, backed by law making it compulsory
for bike riders, or bikes, to be registered in a way that makes it
self-funding. The simpler, the better.


No such animal as the simpler the better once it starts


Dunno.

The small cost of third party claims paid by government would be nothing


Dunno, given the very high accident rate seen with cyclists, that's
a hard claim to substantiate. Corse it is covered by Medicare already.


I would have thought that the accident rate with cyclists would be covered
by the car third party, as few cycle accidents are caused by cycles
causing injury to third parties


That's correct. The concern is about cyclists causing injury to third
parties. The problem received some publicity recently when a cyclist caused
a serious injury to a person. Luckily, the cyclist belonged to a cycling
club and he was was covered by his club's insurance. The point is that, if
he had not been covered, he would have had a very substantial bill to pay.
It could, for example, mean the loss of a home. Or, the person injured
loses because he has no remedy. Most of us have some sort of insurance
cover to protect us against substantial claims (eg car insurance or house
insurance). This was an example of a person (the cyclist) up for a very
high bill that just happened to be covered by his club's insurance.

So, there is a concern about the real possibility of a cyclist having a
substantial bill to pay and having no insurance. This is private law stuff,
and not a government or community responsibility.

  #24  
Old May 15th 15, 01:40 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 192
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:33:45 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for my
liking.


You have me puzzled, why would a rider being dead centre of a lane cause
a problem? was he coming toward you on the wrong side of the road?


He was in my lane, going in my direction. The problem was he was in
the middle of my lane and I couldn't veer into the oncoming lane
because of an oncoming vehicle. I was *going* to veer into the other
lane but thankfully I didn't (blind corner).
I dunno, you've lost me a bit here if you can't see the problem?


The problem is, regardless of the inconvenience of it a cyclist has
every right to cycle in the middle of the lane and unless the law is
changed it is one of the things up with which we must put, like wombats,
tractors,and any other slow moving things,that is why emphasis is put on
the dangers of blind curves.
  #25  
Old May 15th 15, 02:01 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 192
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

F Murtz wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:33:45 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider
registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be
allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject
with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or
another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a
situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for my
liking.


You have me puzzled, why would a rider being dead centre of a lane cause
a problem? was he coming toward you on the wrong side of the road?


He was in my lane, going in my direction. The problem was he was in
the middle of my lane and I couldn't veer into the oncoming lane
because of an oncoming vehicle. I was *going* to veer into the other
lane but thankfully I didn't (blind corner).
I dunno, you've lost me a bit here if you can't see the problem?


The problem is, regardless of the inconvenience of it a cyclist has
every right to cycle in the middle of the lane and unless the law is
changed it is one of the things up with which we must put, like wombats,
tractors,and any other slow moving things,that is why emphasis is put on
the dangers of blind curves.



OOPS,Apparently some jurisdictions state that you must keep to the left
when practicable on a bicycle.
  #26  
Old May 15th 15, 02:01 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Rod Speed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,091
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:33:45 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be
allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject
with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a
situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for my
liking.


You have me puzzled, why would a rider being dead centre of a lane cause
a problem? was he coming toward you on the wrong side of the road?


He was in my lane, going in my direction. The problem was he was in
the middle of my lane and I couldn't veer into the oncoming lane
because of an oncoming vehicle. I was *going* to veer into the other
lane but thankfully I didn't (blind corner).


Nothing to stop you slowing down to the speed he was going at.

I dunno, you've lost me a bit here if you can't see the problem?


The only problem is between your ears.

  #27  
Old May 15th 15, 02:05 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Rod Speed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,091
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 15 May 2015 08:16:40 +1000, somebody forging Peter Howard
wrote:

On 14/05/2015 6:10 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be
allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject
with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a
situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for my
liking.


You are quite right. You can't be expected to anticipate the possibility
of a slow moving vehicle like a tractor hauling hay, or a logging truck,
or a cyclist on a blind bend. Our brave Anzacs died for the motorists
right to drive with their heads stuck up their arse.


Interesting scenario there, no idea what it has to do with the one I
outlined. Our road rules say that a bicycle rider must stay as closely
to the left of the lane as possible. I'm supposed to give him up to 2m
clearance. Had he stayed to the left like he was supposed to, it
wouldn't have been an issue. But no, he cocked his head back as he
heard me approach, which caused him to veer further to the right,
until he was in the middle of our lane. At which point I had
insufficient time to brake


Only because you were too stupid to allow for that possibility.

and had to hope for the best by avoiding both
him and an oncoming vehicle on a tight bend.


Any tractor or logging truck wouldn't have been an issue - why would
it have been? The bike rider was perfectly visible to me just as any
tractor or truck would have been - that wasn't the problem.


Yes, the problem was you were so stupid/incompetent
that you assumed that he would stay over on the left
and left it too later to brake safely.

And where the **** do Anzacs fit into all this?

But of course, it wouldn't matter what the rider said or did, as far
as you're concerned. Because he's entitled to be unreasonable.


You are legally obliged to allow for what might happen.



  #28  
Old May 15th 15, 02:07 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Rod Speed
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,091
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.



"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Rod Speed wrote:


"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Pelican wrote:


"F Murtz" wrote in message
...
I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.
He has a bee in his bonnet about insurance associated with
license,which would in my opinion eventually make the license fee
expensive which is the case of all mandated insurance since the
beginning of time.
He would be better served to get government paid cover for the minute
cases of third party claims against bicycles.(every so often a bicycle
knocks some one down injuring and even killing where the victim has no
cover and can not identify the culprit)
It is not worth registration just for revenge against the rider,it is
better to cover the third party through special govt.paid insurance
and would be much cheaper than an other licensing monolith.
It would mean that I would never ride again as it is rare that I do
and would not be worth it (I sometimes take train with bicycle to the
city or places like Gosford for use at the other end)

There are quite a few proposals floating around. For example, this one
-
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226738618261.

It's a democracy, so feel free to make your views heard. Write to the
Minister, and have your say. For what it's worth, I don't like your
idea of a government scheme. I would much prefer a private scheme by
the insurance industry, if possible, backed by law making it compulsory
for bike riders, or bikes, to be registered in a way that makes it
self-funding. The simpler, the better.


No such animal as the simpler the better once it starts


Dunno.

The small cost of third party claims paid by government would be nothing


Dunno, given the very high accident rate seen with cyclists, that's
a hard claim to substantiate. Corse it is covered by Medicare already.


I would have thought that the accident rate with cyclists would be covered
by the car third party, as few cycle accidents are caused by cycles
causing injury to third parties


But plenty are caused by the bike coming to bits or
just coming off the road with no car involved etc.

against the overall cost of compulsory licensing and insurance for all
bike riders,


Also not clear what it would cost if the RTA did it, just adding
that to the current stuff for cars and trucks and trailers and drivers.

a complete new industry


No need for anything like that and it would be mad to go that route.

with the insurers licking their lips at the new windfall,


Not if it's a single small fee paid once with a
new bike sale as Abbott's sister proposes.

which would increase as it takes hold, the same as it did for all
mandated insurance cover, compulsory auto third party compulsory
building insurance etc,


The cost has in fact dropped at times with law changes.

loads more govt staff to run licensing etc.


Not if its just a license with no testing involved.

Not that I am saying it should happen, it shouldn't IMO.


  #29  
Old May 15th 15, 02:19 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 192
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:33:45 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think
his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider
registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an
opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be
allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject
with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or
another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a
situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for my
liking.


You have me puzzled, why would a rider being dead centre of a lane
cause
a problem? was he coming toward you on the wrong side of the road?

He was in my lane, going in my direction. The problem was he was in
the middle of my lane and I couldn't veer into the oncoming lane
because of an oncoming vehicle. I was *going* to veer into the other
lane but thankfully I didn't (blind corner).
I dunno, you've lost me a bit here if you can't see the problem?


The problem is, regardless of the inconvenience of it a cyclist has
every right to cycle in the middle of the lane and unless the law is
changed it is one of the things up with which we must put, like wombats,
tractors,and any other slow moving things,that is why emphasis is put on
the dangers of blind curves.



OOPS,Apparently some jurisdictions state that you must keep to the left
when practicable on a bicycle.


OOPS again (note to self should research before hitting button)Seems to
refer to bicycle lanes
I can not find any law in Tasmania and most states that stops a
bicycle riding in the centre of a lane except when it refers to bicycle
lanes
  #30  
Old May 15th 15, 02:36 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Pelican
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.



"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 18:33:45 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2015 17:17:33 +1000, "Pelican"
wrote:



"Jeßus" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:28:49 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think
his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider
registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an
opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the
year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be
allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject
with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.

You might find a lot of people celebrating if that comes to pass.
I know I certainly would be. I recently fitted cameras to all my
vehicles, specifically because of lycra wearig cyclists who think
theyre entitled to do whatever they please on country roads.

The next rider who makes me choose between hitting him/her, or
another
innocent vehicle, or the roadside verge, is going to have a very
bad
day.

Even if every rider was a suicidal ****wit, you should not be in a
situation
of making such a choice.

I shouldn't be, as you say. The last incident that compelled me to
install cameras was extremely dangerous and almost caused a head on
collision with an oncoming car. Not only was the rider unapologetic,
he fully denied being dead centre of my lane (even though he was,
hence the cameras now)... this was on a tight bend, on a country road
with barriers/rails on the LHS and a cutting to the right (oncoming
car anyway so that wasn't an option either). That rider is very lucky
to still be here.

After 10 years living in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and now N.E
Tas
- both places very popular with riders - I've lost pretty much all
tolerance for them. Too many incidents and far too consistently for
my
liking.


You have me puzzled, why would a rider being dead centre of a lane
cause
a problem? was he coming toward you on the wrong side of the road?

He was in my lane, going in my direction. The problem was he was in
the middle of my lane and I couldn't veer into the oncoming lane
because of an oncoming vehicle. I was *going* to veer into the other
lane but thankfully I didn't (blind corner).
I dunno, you've lost me a bit here if you can't see the problem?


The problem is, regardless of the inconvenience of it a cyclist has
every right to cycle in the middle of the lane and unless the law is
changed it is one of the things up with which we must put, like wombats,
tractors,and any other slow moving things,that is why emphasis is put on
the dangers of blind curves.



OOPS,Apparently some jurisdictions state that you must keep to the left
when practicable on a bicycle.


OOPS again (note to self should research before hitting button)Seems to
refer to bicycle lanes
I can not find any law in Tasmania and most states that stops a bicycle
riding in the centre of a lane except when it refers to bicycle lanes


The Australian Road Rules give the basic rule in rule 129 -


129 Keeping to the far left side of a road

(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must drive as
near as practicable to the far left side of the road.
Offence provision.

(2) This rule does not apply to the rider of a motor bike.


Rule 129 applies to cyclists.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talkback one eyed lunatics F Murtz[_2_] Australia 2 May 15th 15 07:57 AM
lunatics or heroes? Zebee Johnstone Australia 3 June 18th 08 03:38 AM
ABC 774 talkback etc cfsmtb Australia 3 May 16th 06 04:36 AM
Clarkson pie-eyed Just zis Guy, you know? UK 219 September 28th 05 07:08 AM
RR: Get away from me you lazy eyed freak Jimbo(san) Mountain Biking 1 December 2nd 03 01:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.