High pressure road tire for ATBs?

Old December 6th 03, 03:17 PM

Default High pressure road tire for ATBs?

Hi-

I lead training rides for charity organizations (like the MS Bike
Series). I often have first time riders showing up on ATB's with soft,
heavily treaded tires. I'd like to recommend that they change to a high
pressure (100+ psi would be nice) slick tire that would make it easier
to do long miles on the road. Does anyone know of a tire and a place to
buy them cheap that I can pass on as a resource to these folks?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

Old December 6th 03, 04:11 PM
Jamie TrailBlazer At Large

Kenda makes a nice slick to it goes up to 100psi is 1.5
and were realy well ,Most of my mtn biking buddie and myself have them ,If
you email Kenda about what you do some time they will sell you some tires
cheep for a promotional thing,
good luck

--
J/O TrailBlazer at Large

Old December 6th 03, 04:56 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I'd like to recommend that they change to a high
pressure (100+ psi would be nice) slick tire that would make it easier
to do long miles on the road.

Can somebody comment on the issue of wheel width vs tire size?

Just thinking about it, it seems like maybe some wheels would be too wide to
accept some really narrow (like 1") tires.

If that's the case, you'd be better off sticking to just a recommendation
instead of selling a tire...
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 6th 03, 05:44 PM
Cipher

Try Excel Sports for the Ritchey.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...jor=2&minor=28

Colorado Cyclist has a light (208g.) folding tire, but it is a little
expensive.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...lay2_v2.cfm?P-
RRFNBR=12429&CGRFNBR=323&CRPCGNBR=323&CI=1,224,323 &TextMode=0

Old December 6th 03, 06:39 PM
Mike Marine

You might what to suggest that your first timers buy a set of semi-slick
ATB tires. Bontrager used to make a really nice pair with a file tread
down the center, and knobs close to the edge. Very low rolling
resistance, but you still have the security of a knobby side, and wider
tread contact patch for good traction. They can be pumped up to around
60psi max, and have a nice smooth ride. Most good LBS's will have a
selection, and since it seems lots of folks are leaning toward a
freeriding style these days, SS's should be fairly inexpensive.

Old December 6th 03, 09:03 PM
Gene Domenici

Try the Schwalbe Stelvio; 25-559 (26X1); 8.0 Bar (115PSI); Kevlar belt.
Round and fast. Certainly available at http://www.poweroncycling.com .

Gene
Tampa, FL

Old December 6th 03, 10:24 PM
Andrew Webster

wrote in message ...
Hi-

I lead training rides for charity organizations (like the MS Bike
Series). I often have first time riders showing up on ATB's with soft,
heavily treaded tires. I'd like to recommend that they change to a high
pressure (100+ psi would be nice) slick tire that would make it easier
to do long miles on the road. Does anyone know of a tire and a place to
buy them cheap that I can pass on as a resource to these folks?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

You might try Hutchinson Acrobat (I use the "stop puncture" version on
one of my bikes), can be pumped up hard (80-90psi) 1.35" with some
tread on the shoulder. Rides very well on roads, OK for gravel paths
too, very puncture resistant and quite light.

See http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_d...dID=5300003247

Don't be misled by the "57psi" in the blurb, on the tyre this is given
as the MINUMUM pressure (presumably as walls are quite thin?).

Andrew Webster