Dynamo Lights viz Battery Lights in snow qand slush?

Old March 3rd 15, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Dynamo Lights viz Battery Lights in snow qand slush?

How do these new hub dynamos perform in snow and slush? I'm thinking of that brown mollasses like crap that occurs when roads are salted but not plowed and said brown crap builds up quickly on anything sticking out of a bicycle. Does it build up on the hub dynamo too? Does it affect the performance of the dynamo/light? Does it corrode the dynamo or its inner parts? Does it put undue stress on the wire running from the dynamo to the light?

Cheers
Old March 3rd 15, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/3/2015 1:35 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
How do these new hub dynamos perform in snow and slush? I'm thinking of that brown mollasses like crap that occurs when roads are salted but not plowed and said brown crap builds up quickly on anything sticking out of a bicycle. Does it build up on the hub dynamo too? Does it affect the performance of the dynamo/light? Does it corrode the dynamo or its inner parts? Does it put undue stress on the wire running from the dynamo to the light?

Cheers

Run OK. They don't slip as rim dynamos do and they don't
stop in extreme cold like batteries. And yes they get
covered in salty muck just like your feet and everything else.

Salt water will find its way inside just about anything
eventually, for example this 'sealed' Nexus:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nx7brokn.jpg

The Sanyo of the 1980s were terrible for that, not as
resistant as a Sturmey GH6. Most modern units, even cheaper
models, are better now.

Wiring isn't any different, some setups are easily snagged
but good planning avoids that. Contacts can be coated with
dielectric grease usually $1 at any auto parts store.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 3rd 15, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/3/2015 3:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Salt water will find its way inside just about anything eventually, for
example this 'sealed' Nexus:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nx7brokn.jpg

I worry about that a bit with my two hub dynos and my old Sturmey-Archer
3 speed hub. As I understand it, taking the bike from the relatively
warm basement to the outside cold causes the internal air to contract
and suck in the nasty stuff. I anoint the S-A units with oil from time
to time, hoping that's enough to magically ward off evil. But the
Shimano has no provision for that magic.

(SON uses different, more effective magic, it seems.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 4th 15, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Am 03.03.2015 um 21:56 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
On 3/3/2015 3:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Salt water will find its way inside just about anything eventually, for
example this 'sealed' Nexus:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nx7brokn.jpg

I worry about that a bit with my two hub dynos and my old Sturmey-Archer
3 speed hub. As I understand it, taking the bike from the relatively
warm basement to the outside cold causes the internal air to contract
and suck in the nasty stuff.

That's why my SON has some pressure exchange holes to prevent the nasty
stuff from feing sucked into the bearings (my first one did not and died
of winter corrosion after ca. 8 years).

Old March 4th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yes, this was the next ignorant question.

Frank, look thru di-electric silicone lubricant grease...not oil...oil is 19C

are you ready for a Morse Berto generator ?

Old March 4th 15, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 8:29:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:
yes, this was the next ignorant question.

Frank, look thru di-electric silicone lubricant grease...not oil...oil is 19C

are you ready for a Morse Berto generator ?

..._. .._ _..

https://www.google.com/#q=dielectric...rease&tbm=shop
Old March 4th 15, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

are you ready for a Morse Berto generator ?
https://www.google.com/#q=dielectric...rease&tbm=shop

EG.... dunno abt the di electric

Super Lube® Synthetic Gear Oil iSO 150, 220, 320, 460
Super Lube® Synthetic Gear Oil is a USDA listed Food Grade lubricant, rated H-1 for incidental food contact. It is a clean,
translucent oil with superior anti-wear and extreme pressure properties, suitable for lubricating spur, helical, herringbone,
rack and pinion, straight and spiral bevel, and worm gears.
Excellent oxidation resistance, rust and corrosion protection and the ability to readily separate from water, make it ideally
suited for chain drives, worm gears, and gear boxes.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Syncopen® Synthetic Penetrant Bulk (Metal Protectant)
Super Lube® Synthetic Penetrant is a fast-acting, penetrating solvent and synthetic oil that cuts through rust or
corrosion. Syncopen® penetrates hard to reach areas to allow easy removal of rusted and corroded screws, nuts or
bolts. Syncopen® penetrates, lubricates and leaves a protective film to help prevent future rusting or corrosion.