Stan's No-Tubes Sealant in Road Tubular?

Old September 9th 04, 04:52 AM
Partly Animal

Default Stan's No-Tubes Sealant in Road Tubular?

I have a friend who has injected Stan's No-Tubes sealant into his road
tubulars and swears it works for sealing punctures. I have read a lot of
pros and cons concerning Tufo sealant, mostly cons, from riders who say it
doesn't work. Has anyone tried the Stan's sealant in a tubular? Did it work?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bruce

Old September 9th 04, 06:27 AM
Dave Mayer

"Partly Animal" wrote:

I have a friend who has injected Stan's No-Tubes sealant into his road
tubulars and swears it works for sealing punctures.

Bruce: don't know what Stan's sealant is, but I've been very pleased as to
the results of using sealant in tubies. I've been doing this for 2 years.
I put about 10cc of sealant in my rear (only) tires. Saved me from having
to do an ugly tire change in the pouring rain today, when I picked up a
glass wedge. The tire partially deflated, I rotated it so that the hissing
sound was at the bottom, and then reinflated. For 1mm or so holes, no
repair is required - the sealant will allow me to inflate to the rated tire
pressure.

My most dramatic sealant repair is when I picked up a roofing staple. It
entered the tire diagonally and made 4 punctures as the sharp ends entered
the tread and exited the sidewall. The casing was ruined, but the sealant
held things together until I got back to civilization.

I buy something called "Tire Sealant" you can buy at Canadian Tire. 500ml
bottle for $4. My best guess as to the composition of this is water,
glycerin, green dye and chopped-up cotton fibers.