Cyclist shot in airgun attack

Old November 16th 04, 11:49 PM
Shabby

Default Cyclist shot in airgun attack

Police wrap: Cyclist shot in airgun attack
November 17, 2004 - 8:20AM

Four men have been arrested after an alleged "drive-by" shooting of
cyclist with an air rifle in Melbourne.

Police allege a man leant out of the window of a moving vehicle on S
Kilda Road in South Melbourne and shot at a cyclist with an air rifl
about 4am (AEDT) yesterday.

The cyclist was not seriously hurt but suffered a graze to hi
shoulder.

Police said a description of the car, a maroon Ford Fairlane, wa
issued and the vehicle was quickly spotted by the operator of
surveillance camera driving along Russell Street.

The four men were arrested and interviewed and are to be charged o
summons with conduct likely to cause serious injury

--
Shabby

Old November 17th 04, 12:04 AM
TimC

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 at 23:49 GMT, Shabby (aka Bruce)
Police said a description of the car, a maroon Ford Fairlane, was
issued and the vehicle was quickly spotted by the operator of a
surveillance camera driving along Russell Street.

The four men were arrested and interviewed and are to be charged on
summons with conduct likely to cause serious injury.

W00!

When are we going to outlaw stupidity, dammit?

Information wants to be beer, or something like that. --unk
Old November 17th 04, 01:44 AM
Jock

another kilo of chlorine required in the gene pool.
Jock

Old November 17th 04, 03:30 AM
mfhor

Shabby Wrote:
Police wrap: Cyclist shot in airgun attack
November 17, 2004 - 8:20AM

Four men have been arrested after an alleged "drive-by" shooting of
cyclist with an air rifle in Melbourne.

Police allege a man leant out of the window of a moving vehicle on S
Kilda Road in South Melbourne and shot at a cyclist with an air rifl
about 4am (AEDT) yesterday.

Was it Gandhi who said that when they get angry with you, you realis
that you are challenging their worldview, and that deep down, they kno
you are right, so to avoid cognitive dissonance, they have to attempt t
eliminate you? Or scare you back into line. The status quo MUST B
PRESERVED. No matter how much carnage is HAPPENING SOMEWHERE ELSE t
preserve it. No matter how irrational and redneck their actions
Anything but the MAJOR effort of changing their creaky, afraid
sclerotic minds.

It could have been Bill Hicks. No less valid, anyway.

M "Hicksophile"

--
mfhor

Old November 17th 04, 08:13 AM
Gags

"Shabby" wrote in message

Police wrap: Cyclist shot in airgun attack
November 17, 2004 - 8:20AM

Four men have been arrested after an alleged "drive-by" shooting of a
cyclist with an air rifle in Melbourne.

Police allege a man leant out of the window of a moving vehicle on St
Kilda Road in South Melbourne and shot at a cyclist with an air rifle
about 4am (AEDT) yesterday.

The cyclist was not seriously hurt but suffered a graze to his
shoulder.

Police said a description of the car, a maroon Ford Fairlane, was
issued and the vehicle was quickly spotted by the operator of a
surveillance camera driving along Russell Street.

The four men were arrested and interviewed and are to be charged on
summons with conduct likely to cause serious injury.
--
Shabby

A mate and I had a similar experience in Adelaide in about 1995. We were
staggering up West Terrace after just coming out of the Heaven nightclub (we
were looking for food from memory).........a car went past and there was a
"ping" sound on the fence that we were walking past and as I looked up, a
guy was pulling a gun back inside a crappy old commodore. Despite our best
drunken efforts to run after the car and catch up with them at the next
lights, they got away.....hehe.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Gags

Old November 17th 04, 02:21 PM
Saffi

I don't get this modern day mindset that is permeating our society
Without being too flippant, but is this where we as cyclists, an
furthermore female cyclists are going to be doing what is recommende
to our female compatriots in the USA and that riding while packing
hand gun discretely hidden in a jersey pocket.

I can see a collective shaking of heads at the thought of it, bu
seriously 20 years from now what type of behaviour is going to b
occurring and particularly to what extent do we as bystanders observ
and passively accept

Scares the pants off me....

*Not a bad subject for my first post !
Heres cheers to more on a lighter note.

Saffi...

--
Saffi

Old November 17th 04, 09:42 PM
cfsmtb

Saffi Wrote:
I don't get this modern day mindset that is permeating our society
Without being too flippant, but is this where we as cyclists, an
furthermore female cyclists are going to be doing what is recommende
to our female compatriots in the USA and that riding while packing
hand gun discretely hidden in a jersey pocket.

Saffi....

I emphasis with your concerns Saffi, but speaking as a Lady Cyclist
don't believe I need to carry a gun, besides it would ruin my profile
Anyway I've decided that a combination of either: 1. loud swearing, 2
AirZound 3. Zen-like calm, is all that's required for dealing wit
Australian motorists. Not forgetting a pen, paper, mobile & a sense o
humour. :

--
cfsmtb

Old November 17th 04, 10:13 PM
Tamyka Bell

cfsmtb wrote:

Saffi Wrote:
I don't get this modern day mindset that is permeating our society.
Without being too flippant, but is this where we as cyclists, and
furthermore female cyclists are going to be doing what is recommended
to our female compatriots in the USA and that riding while packing a
hand gun discretely hidden in a jersey pocket.

Saffi....

I emphasis with your concerns Saffi, but speaking as a Lady Cyclist I
don't believe I need to carry a gun, besides it would ruin my profile.
Anyway I've decided that a combination of either: 1. loud swearing, 2.
AirZound 3. Zen-like calm, is all that's required for dealing with
Australian motorists. Not forgetting a pen, paper, mobile & a sense of
humour.

--
cfsmtb

When someone hassles you or tries to run you off the road, Saffi, you
must sit up with a massive grin on your face and wave like a lunatic.
This is especially good when they honk because "I honestly thought it
was friendly honk." I've chased people down and then tried to hold an
intelligent, calm discussion with them. They always get very, very
****ed off.

Now how are those American ladies going to fire their weapons without
falling off their bikes? R-E-C-O-I-L...? If they have to dismount
anyway, it's probably too late... they might as well learn how to punch
and run.

Old November 18th 04, 03:30 AM
Kim Hawtin

Tamyka Bell wrote:
When someone hassles you or tries to run you off the road, Saffi, you
must sit up with a massive grin on your face and wave like a lunatic.
This is especially good when they honk because "I honestly thought it
was friendly honk." I've chased people down and then tried to hold an
intelligent, calm discussion with them. They always get very, very
****ed off.

came to work on the bus, as it was pouring[0], to witness a cyclist get
off his bike an procede to kick in both headlights[1] on a shiny new
falcon and ride off, battered and bleeding.

but on a good note, i've had a good run with with traffic so far

kim

[0] no i'm not hard core. yet.
[1] @ ~600$ each
Old November 18th 04, 06:20 AM
SteveA

Now how are those American ladies going to fire their weapons withou
falling off their bikes? R-E-C-O-I-L...? If they have to dismoun
anyway, it's probably too late... they might as well learn how to punc
and run

watch John Wayne westerns for tips on how to fire rifle while ridin
horse; then make necessary adjustments to process to be able to fir
rifle from bike. For an Australian approach, watch Breaker Morant.
think there is a firing from saddle scene in there somewhere. ;

Steve

--
SteveA

ACTION ALERT -- Transportation Enhancements under attack Matt O'Toole General 1 May 17th 05 03:34 AM
Cyclist hit by Car, Moorside /Halifax Road Cleckheaton AndyMorris UK 9 October 16th 04 09:18 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
cyclist shoots motorist Steven M. O'Neill General 145 February 19th 04 01:49 AM
Hog attacks cyclist in Hong Kong Scott Munro General 4 September 16th 03 05:05 PM