Catastrophic failure of Specialized Epic carbon fiber frames?

Old June 1st 04, 03:30 AM
wamonsen

Default Catastrophic failure of Specialized Epic carbon fiber frames?

I have a 1995 Specialized Epic road bike. This bicycle has carbon fibe
frame tubes and aluminum lugs. Recently, a friend warned me that thi
frame was subject to catastrophic failure and that I should stop ridin
it immediately

I understand that there are potential corrosion issues betwee
dissimilar materials in this frame. Is it possible to see such corrosio
from the outside or do I just have to keep riding and praying? I lik
this bicycle a bunch but would prefer to not find myself with a frame i
pieces during a fast decent

Has anyone heard of such failures? If so, where there any symptoms tha
I should look for

Thank

Bil

-

Old June 1st 04, 03:48 AM
j morelstein

My Specialized Epic failed catastrophically (the tubes snapped at the lugs)
but I had no one to blame but myself, since I rode it into a car....
However, I suspect that my current carbon fiber bike (a Calfee) would have
survived the impact. So, absent hearing anything else from someone with more
information, I would say keep riding--but watch the frame for cracks or
looseness at the lugs. My own sense was that it was an okay frame, but not a
greatone. And yours is getting on in years....

"wamonsen" wrote in message
I have a 1995 Specialized Epic road bike. This bicycle has carbon fiber
frame tubes and aluminum lugs. Recently, a friend warned me that this
frame was subject to catastrophic failure and that I should stop riding
it immediately.

I understand that there are potential corrosion issues between
dissimilar materials in this frame. Is it possible to see such corrosion
from the outside or do I just have to keep riding and praying? I like
this bicycle a bunch but would prefer to not find myself with a frame in
pieces during a fast decent.

Has anyone heard of such failures? If so, where there any symptoms that
I should look for?

Thanks

Bill

Old June 1st 04, 05:56 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 02:48:26 GMT, "j morelstein"
wrote:
My Specialized Epic failed catastrophically (the tubes snapped at the lugs)
but I had no one to blame but myself, since I rode it into a car....
However, I suspect that my current carbon fiber bike (a Calfee) would have
survived the impact. So, absent hearing anything else from someone with more
information, I would say keep riding--but watch the frame for cracks or
looseness at the lugs.

Personally, I would say keep riding--but watch the road for cars.
--
Rick Onanian
Old June 1st 04, 05:28 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...

I have a 1995 Specialized Epic road bike. This bicycle has carbon fiber
frame tubes and aluminum lugs. Recently, a friend warned me that this
frame was subject to catastrophic failure and that I should stop riding
it immediately.
I understand that there are potential corrosion issues between
dissimilar materials in this frame. Is it possible to see such corrosion
from the outside or do I just have to keep riding and praying? I like
this bicycle a bunch but would prefer to not find myself with a frame in
pieces during a fast decent.
Has anyone heard of such failures? If so, where there any symptoms that
I should look for?

If this is a 52cm model, immediately stop riding it and mail it to me
so that I can make sure you don't get hurt. It is a service I am willing
to provide to you at no cost.

Your friend is being overly dramatic. Early models, late 80's, of these
frames did have problems. But Specialized, really the company that made
these frames for specialized, figured out how to prevent the galvanic
corrosion problems. Usually you can see white stuff right around the
joints. I owned a 1991 model that I rode for a few years before selling
it and had no problems with it. I now own a later model, not sure of the
exact year but it has a purplish clear coat over the carbon tubes, and I
would no hesitate riding it. Keep an eye on the joints and keep riding it.
If you notice any problems, get in touch with specialized. These frames
have a lifetime guarantee for the original owner.
--------------
Alex

Old June 1st 04, 08:34 PM
SMMB

Default Should NEVER have been "Catastrophic failure of Specialized Epic carbon fiber frames? [UGH !!!!]"

I just don't like the language :

this frame was subject to catastrophic failure

or

this frame broke

I'm a lawyer, and even with that, I don't like the first.

--
Sandy
Paris FR

*******

La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
-- Einstein, A.