15 days away from spinal surgery

Old September 5th 04, 03:30 PM
Tom Paterson

Chiropracters are kooks, yet their treatments are overall more effective
for such back pain.

The surgeons are the "kooks" if their expensive, invasive (both terms vastly
understated) procedure works less well than the chiropractors'.

the fact that they are idiots

Another advantage of their training is that the vast majority know how to spell
"chiropractor" long before they finish.

FWIW, not knowing anything about the OP's situation, no medical training, etc.
etc., I'd see a couple of chiropractors (i.e. if the first one didn't help the
problem) for some length of time before submitting (there's a reason they use
that word) to surgery. And at least two opinions (from MD's) on the surgery.
All hospitals have scuttlebut as to who the "good" or "best" docs are, try to
tap into that as well. You don't get to "start over" if the surgery isn't a
success. --TP
Old September 5th 04, 05:01 PM
winnard

"George Herbert Walker" wrote in message
You don't say what the spinal surgery is for. If you can ride, it's
probably for some sort of ordinary low-back pain, with some diagnosis of a
herniated disk or some such.

You should know that essentially all such low-back pain will, with proper
excercises and such, resolve itself within a month to a year. If you are
going to have spinal fusion, laminectomy and so on, your recovery from

that
will be similar. And very often such operations have no real benefit
anyway, but many harms.

Chiropracters are kooks, yet their treatments are overall more effective
for such back pain. (Just keep them away from your neck.) Unless there is
some very good reason not to go to one- and the fact that they are idiots
is unfortunately not one- no one should have spinal fusion without first
trying their luck with a good chiropracter.

Overall, spinal surgery for back pain is a gigantic boondoggle. Arguably
none of it is ever necessary, and hardly any of it is useful. Remember

that
many people have what would appear to be disastrous conditions on X-rays

or
CT scans, e.g. showing massively herniated disks, yet have no symptoms.
Remember also that the orthopedic surgeon regards spinal fusion as
successful if the graft holds, not if the symptoms were relieved- that is
just a bonus. I hope you have looked into this thoroughly, and are not

just
taking the word of an orthopedic surgeon, because the fact is most of them
do not know any better, and the ones that do generally are either not
performing this operation, or are con men.

--

C4 disk in my neck has a bone spur sticking into my spinal cord. It causes
my left arm and shoulder to burn constantly. On the MRI picture, you cannot

winnard

Old September 5th 04, 05:17 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "winnard"

So, I'm getting the disk fixed so I can go back to work soon, and ride
again.

Thanks for the information and I hope this is totally successful for you. --TP
Old September 5th 04, 05:17 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "winnard"

Old September 5th 04, 05:17 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "winnard"

Old September 5th 04, 07:55 PM
winnard

Old September 5th 04, 07:55 PM
winnard

Old September 5th 04, 07:55 PM
winnard

7 days in Moab danger_uni Unicycling 9 May 12th 04 04:01 PM
200 days Badger_South General 16 April 19th 04 06:04 PM
Knee surgery progress report jpcycler Unicycling 35 January 19th 04 02:28 PM
RR some days at the races Penny S. Mountain Biking 1 July 29th 03 04:40 AM