15 days away from spinal surgery

Old September 8th 04, 07:33 AM
winnard

"George Herbert Walker" wrote in message
In article , Stan Cox
wrote:

winnard wrote:

C4 disk in my neck has a bone spur sticking into my spinal cord. It

causes
my left arm and shoulder to burn constantly. On the MRI picture, you

cannot
even see the spinal cord, because it is so compressed. If I use the

arm
too much, I am in such pain that I cannot breath without doubling over

in
agony. I got the epidural shots into my spine, to no avail.
So, I'm getting the disk fixed so I can go back to work soon, and ride
again.

Good luck with the surgery. It's certainly not something anyone would feel
comfortable having a chiropracter/or play around with, even if they might
be able to do some good. Neck manipulations are the only things they do
that every now and then seem to directly result in disaster- although
surgeons don't have such a great record either, perhaps rather worse.

I am assuming though that you accidentally described it wrong, in several
ways: C4, the fourth cervical vertebra, is a bone, not a disk. The disks
are referred to by the adjacent vertebrae, e.g. the C3/C4 disk. I presume
you mean you have some kind of spinal canal stenosis, which can result

from
a variety of factors; or else a herniated disk, so that it is the disk

that
is compressing the spinal cord. The disk is not bone-like, it is more like
a ligament but has a complex structure. In either case they do not fix the
disk, although they may remove it, fuse the vertebrae, and other things.
Probably you would get a decompressive laminectomy, which means sawing off
the backs of the vetebrae.

They do not seem to have explained the operation correctly or completely

you, nor its potential for fixing or not fixing the problem. This is not a
guaranteed fix by any means. This operation should only be considered

after
several months of conservative treatment fail, and the epidural shots are
not exactly that. One is supposed to start with physical therapy,

including
strengthening and stretching excercises, and changed posture, and
anti-inflammatory drugs too. Bones remodel all the time and these things
can change with time and new stress distributions.

I highly recommend you do some independent research into this and ask your
doctor some more pointed questions so that you know exactly what you are
getting in to and why.

--

I said disk out of habit. The disk looks fine, the vertebrae is the part
that needs fixed.

winnard

Old September 12th 04, 06:07 AM
George Herbert Walker

In article yGx%c.28179$Ka6.4934@okepread03, "winnard"
wrote:

[...]

Good luck again with the surgery.

I won't say anything more, except perhaps for the benefit of others: they
don't fix the vertebra either, they just saw off the back half. This is
surgery, not rocket science.

--
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Please excuse the inconvenience allegedly caused by our son. Send
us the bill for all the damages, and we can settle this to your
satisfaction, without any need for a public record of the incident.

Most Sincerely, George and Bar

Old September 12th 04, 07:06 AM
Jim Smith

wrote:

[...]

Um, there a other procedures besides laminectomy. How do you know
they are not doing a corpectomy with a cadaver graft and anterior
instrumentation?

Not rocket science for sure. I think one can do rocket science over
the internet.
Old September 12th 04, 08:45 AM
George Herbert Walker

In article , Jim Smith
wrote:

Um, there a other procedures besides laminectomy. How do you know
they are not doing a corpectomy with a cadaver graft and anterior
instrumentation?

Oh sure. Or perhaps they will amputate the leg, in the spirit of
Bush-Cheney allopathy that is working so well in the war on terror.

You might try reading what the prospective patient wrote. And also a more
detailed description of the operation you described.

7 days in Moab danger_uni Unicycling 9 May 12th 04 04:01 PM
200 days Badger_South General 16 April 19th 04 06:04 PM
Knee surgery progress report jpcycler Unicycling 35 January 19th 04 02:28 PM
RR some days at the races Penny S. Mountain Biking 1 July 29th 03 04:40 AM