Custom Decals - or printable decal material ?

Old September 8th 04, 03:12 AM
Werehatrack

Default Custom Decals - or printable decal material ?

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:05:26 GMT, Bob
wrote:

Anyone know where to find a custom decal maker

In the Yellow Pages, look for places that do custom signs and banners;
at least one will do "die cut vinyl signs", and that's one possible
solution.

or perhaps some sort
of material that can be used in an inkjet

Regular inkjet ink does not dry on a weatherproof substrate. You
would need dye sublimation ink, and an additional heat-setting step,
to achieve success. On the other hand, Fargo made a non-inkjet
printer which would produce a reasonably weatherproof image on vinyl,
and with the companion coating spray it was fully weatherproof, but
that's not a common unit...and it's out of production.

or perhaps hand painted
and then applied as a decal ?

If you're going to hand-paint, why not do it on the bike?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 8th 04, 03:30 AM
Jim Smith

wrote:

Anyone know where to find a custom decal maker

In the Yellow Pages, look for places that do custom signs and banners;
at least one will do "die cut vinyl signs", and that's one possible
solution.

or perhaps some sort
of material that can be used in an inkjet

Regular inkjet ink does not dry on a weatherproof substrate. You
would need dye sublimation ink, and an additional heat-setting step,
to achieve success. On the other hand, Fargo made a non-inkjet
printer which would produce a reasonably weatherproof image on vinyl,
and with the companion coating spray it was fully weatherproof, but
that's not a common unit...and it's out of production.

or perhaps hand painted
and then applied as a decal ?

If you're going to hand-paint, why not do it on the bike?

I would like to make some decals too. I just googled for "water slide
decal" and got a bunch of hits advertising "inkjet water slide decal
paper." Seems that there are a bunch of companies making this stuff.
Has anyone tried any of these? heard any rumors?

Old September 8th 04, 05:43 AM
Terry Cooke

I have used these on model rockets. They can be made water proof by spraying
on a clear coat after printing. Two problems with them are that the ink is
not opaque and you can't print white. http://www.micromark.com sells the
paper for both ink jet and laser jet/copier. The laser jet version does
better as far as the toner as more opaque than the ink jet ink is. The best
process to use is the ALPS printer, which sadly is no longer in production.
There are a few people that make custom decals using this process still.

Old September 8th 04, 06:46 AM
Jai Ma

You can have Vinyl decals made for bikes by this cycling illustrator:
http://www.suzieillustrator.com/vinyl.htm

"Bob" wrote in message
Anyone know where to find a custom decal maker or perhaps some sort
of material that can be used in an inkjet or perhaps hand painted
and then applied as a decal ?

Thanks,