Extinction of 1" Head Tubes - Carbon Fork Availability

Old September 9th 04, 11:49 PM
Kendall

Why would I worry about needing to replace a fork at some indeterminate time
in the future? I really like the frame I have now with the 1" head tube, I
expect or hope to have it a long time and I know "**** happens" more often
to forks than frames and I don't want to be forced or tempted to get a new
frame. But hey, I'm stockpiling 9 speed Campy stuff too.

Kendall

"Tim Howe" wrote in message
om...
"Kendall" wrote in message
Given that 1" head tubes are becoming extinct, is there a chance that a
decent carbon fork will be hard to find? Should I worry about having a
carbon fork in reserve in case I need one for a bike that I plan to have
for
a long time.

There is a chance they will be harder to find in years to come. Note
suspension forks on MTBs. But I think it'll be a while and by then
1" steerers may just as likely come back into style. Who knows.

Why would you worry about possibly needing to replace a fork at some
indeterminate time in the future?

-Tim

Old September 9th 04, 11:54 PM
Kendall

The carbon fork manufacturers don't necessarily build for the many (but
minority) smaller builders. They build for the big market. My 99 Pegoretti
frame is 1" and he now builds 1 1/8". And yep I have crashed and ruined
forks before, hence the contemplation of the insurance policy. Maybe I'm
overdoing it but I've had to change bikes before due to incompatibility and
planned obselescence because it was easier. I hope to put it off for
longer.

Kendall

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
ckstover- Given that 1" head tubes are becoming extinct, is there a
chance
that a
decent carbon fork will be hard to find? Should I worry about having a
carbon fork in reserve in case I need one for a bike that I plan to have
for
a long time. BRBR

Why do you say this? Many framesets are still 1 inch, just cause the 'big
boys'
like Trek, etc are the not necessary 1 1/8inch doesn't mean that 1 inch is
'becoming extinct'.

Besides, a carbon fork, unless crashed really hard, should last as long as
decent frameset.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.