road tube with a 2 inch long valve...

Old September 11th 04, 02:55 AM
Paul Nevai

Default road tube with a 2 inch long valve...

Last year I bought a few 700x19-26C road bicycle tubes from Performance Bike,
the ones I always buy, and today when I opened them the first time I was
shocked to see that they all have 2 inch [5 cm] long valves. In the past all
the tubes I saw had 1.25 inch valves.

Is this normal? Could they be simply mispackaged? Can I use them on a normal
tire? Any suggestions?

I know I could send them back for replacement but it's a lots of extra work
which I'd like to avoid unless it's necessary.

Thanks, Paul
Old September 11th 04, 03:20 AM
Jeff

Last year I bought a few 700x19-26C road bicycle tubes from Performance
Bike,
the ones I always buy, and today when I opened them the first time I was
shocked to see that they all have 2 inch [5 cm] long valves. In the past
all
the tubes I saw had 1.25 inch valves.

Odd, that's the size I prefer, and I can't get them at my local Performance.

They will work fine, they just look funny. Careful when you inflate, it's
easier to bend the stem and give your self a flat.

My local Performance only carries only two sizes, but I find 3 lengths of
Presta stems in local shops:
1) Regular (approx 1.25 inches)
2) 48mm (probably what you have)
3) 68mm/Long (Super long, way to long even for my Velocity Deep V rims)

Old September 11th 04, 01:43 PM
Paul Nevai

aszonygya:
:Is this normal? Could they be simply mispackaged? Can I use them on a normal
:tire? Any suggestions?
:
:Use 'em.

OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to use it
so I will. Many thanks, Paul
Old September 12th 04, 01:54 AM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:38:35 +0000, Ken wrote:

(Paul Nevai) wrote in
:
OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to
use it so I will. Many thanks, Paul

Be careful when you pump up long stems in normal box rims. A sloppy pumping
technique can cause the stem to be tilted in the rim hole, which can cause
damage to your tube.

OTOH, with Prestas, I find the extra length gives me something to grab
so that I can stabilize the stem while I'm hooking up the air hose.
Of course, if all you have is a hoseless pump, then your caution
warning is very appropriate.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Paul Nevai

Werehatrack aszonygya:
:On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:38:35 +0000, Ken wrote:
:
(Paul Nevai) wrote in
:
: OK guys. I appreciate your advice. All of you told me that it's OK to
: use it so I will. Many thanks, Paul
:
:Be careful when you pump up long stems in normal box rims. A sloppy pumping
:technique can cause the stem to be tilted in the rim hole, which can cause
:damage to your tube.
:
:OTOH, with Prestas, I find the extra length gives me something to grab
:so that I can stabilize the stem while I'm hooking up the air hose.
:Of course, if all you have is a hoseless pump, then your caution
:warning is very appropriate.

Good advice even with "hosed" pumps. Best regards, Paul
Old September 13th 04, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

'Normal' lengths are 36mm, 48mm and 60mm.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302