track cogs?

Old September 12th 04, 07:38 AM
Jai Ma

Default track cogs?

Is the width and especially the offset of the teeth from the edge of the
cogs different from manufacturer to manufacturer? If I get my chainline
dialed with one cog, do I have to make adjustments when changing to a cog
from a different manufacturer? (Shimano, Surley, etc..) Also, can I put
the cog on either way to suit my chainline? (on the Shimano I have, the
teeth are flush on one side but about 3 mm or so in from the other)

Old September 12th 04, 08:36 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Jai Ma wrote:

Is the width and especially the offset of the teeth from the edge of the
cogs different from manufacturer to manufacturer? If I get my chainline
dialed with one cog, do I have to make adjustments when changing to a cog
from a different manufacturer? (Shimano, Surley, etc..) Also, can I put
the cog on either way to suit my chainline? (on the Shimano I have, the
teeth are flush on one side but about 3 mm or so in from the other)

There are slight differences. Sheldon has a table on his website
showing the chainline of different cogs. In practice most decent ones
(Shimano, EAI) can be swapped over without problems.

You can fit the sprocket the other way round if you like, although
clearly they're designed to fit with the "shoulder" against the hub
flange and some cogs might be machined in such a way that the chain gets
uncomfortably close to the spokes. The lockring - if you use one -
won't fit as snugly against the cog either.
Old September 12th 04, 01:09 PM
Roy H. Drinkwater

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline/index.html#sprockets