OK, I need somebody to translate the Tour De France standings!

Old July 13th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom[_2_]

Default OK, I need somebody to translate the Tour De France standings!

As usual, I can't figure out who is "winning" the Tour De France. In
fact, as ashamed as I am to admit it, a headline I read several days
back convinced me that the whole shabang was already over.

Without getting too technical, can someone explain who is leading at
this point in time and who is projected to win the whole event?

Thanks!
Old July 13th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_18_]

Papa Tom wrote:
As usual, I can't figure out who is "winning" the Tour De France. In
fact, as ashamed as I am to admit it, a headline I read several days
back convinced me that the whole shabang was already over.

Without getting too technical, can someone explain who is leading at
this point in time and who is projected to win the whole event?

Thanks!

Without getting too technical, if you watch the coverage the announcers will
discuss this over and over. Another thing to remember is that it is
essentially a three week race and anything could happen on any given day.
And I'm not talking strategy---accidents, falls, flat tires, broken limbs.
You cannot simply "project who will win" because of all of the variables to
take into account.

If you go to the Austin American-Statesman newspaper, they have a good
breakdown article on the Tour every day.

Pat in TX

Old July 13th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom[_2_]

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the channel that is showing the
Tour. Also, I guess like every other "casual" cyclist with somewhat
limited interested in racing, I really only want to know if Lance has
a shot at winning another one. 'Guess I should have just said that to
begin with....
Old July 15th 09, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
RicodJour

On Jul 13, 3:19*pm, Papa Tom wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the channel that is showing the
Tour. *Also, I guess like every other "casual" cyclist with somewhat
limited interested in racing, I really only want to know if Lance has
a shot at winning another one. *'Guess I should have just said that to
begin with....

Sure, a reasonable shot, but far from a lock.

Old July 15th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike A Schwab

On Jul 13, 10:12*am, Papa Tom wrote:
As usual, I can't figure out who is "winning" the Tour De France. *In
fact, as ashamed as I am to admit it, a headline I read several days
back convinced me that the whole shabang was already over.

Without getting too technical, can someone explain who is leading at
this point in time and who is projected to win the whole event?

Thanks!

http://www.versus.com/tdf coverage.

http://www.letour.fr/ and click on the UK flag.
Individual standing (total elapsed time on the course) is the Yellow
Jersey, adds up each stages time.

Individual time trial on the first (and later) day creates a basic
time difference between each rider, recorded to 0.01 second and
published to the second.

When a group of rider crosses the finish line, all rider where the
start of the following bicycle (front of the front tire rim) is
forward of the the end of the preceding bicycle (rear of the rear tire
rim) are all awarded the same elapsed time. Order is noted for the
days finishing order.

Team Time Trial: Each team rides as a group. The first 5 of 9 riders
on the team is awarded the time of the 5th rider. Riders 6-9 get
their own time subject to the overlap rule.

Team Standing: Total time of the fastest e riders of each stage.

Also, should a team go below the minimum number of riders, remaining
members are disqualified.

Green Jersey: Points are awarded by finishing in the first few
positions at the finish line and specified sprint lines during the
stage.

Red Polka dot Jersey: Points are awarded in the first few positions
at the top of climbs and mountain passes.

White Jersey: Yellow Jersey standing but limited to 25 years old or
younger.