Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless" -- Michael Press Prize for brilliant marketing

Old September 9th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless" -- Michael Press Prize for brilliant marketing

http://road.cc/content/news/43047-mo...pe-cateye-more
and scroll down.

Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless"
Twenty per cent more than 853, ten per cent less than 951, yup, that's
brilliant marketing. Or maybe they really wanted to kill both
successful products, and still leave the customer dissatisfied with
having received only the "cheap" stainless.
Old September 9th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/43047-mo...pe-cateye-more
and scroll down.

Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless"
Twenty per cent more than 853, ten per cent less than 951, yup, that's
brilliant marketing. Or maybe they really wanted to kill both
successful products, and still leave the customer dissatisfied with
having received only the "cheap" stainless.

Oh, as if I _ever_ use percent.
Those who use unbound percent
are to be broken upon the wheel,
once I am Ruler of Earth, and
that goes for my minions as well.

--
Michael Press
Old September 9th 11, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sep 9, 2:45*am, Andre Jute wrote:
http://road.cc/content/news/43047-mo...s-gilles-berth...
and scroll down.

Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless"
Twenty per cent more than 853, ten per cent less than 951, yup, that's
brilliant marketing. Or maybe they really wanted to kill both
successful products, and still leave the customer dissatisfied with
having received only the "cheap" stainless.

It saves having to apply chrome plating for the shiny lovers. A
simple polished finish may work out cheaper than a proper laquered
job. I don't know the cost today, but when I enquired at the
refinishers about 15 years ago and was shocked at the price and
enquired "why?" they insisted that all frames required sand-blasting
to prepare them. I left them to their busy workbook and got the job
done myself with Hammerite and a brush. I worked out how to get the
thick stuff on without leaving gaps or brushstrokes and its stood up
very well.
Old September 9th 11, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 9/09/2011 11:45 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
http://road.cc/content/news/43047-mo...pe-cateye-more
and scroll down.

Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless"
Twenty per cent more than 853, ten per cent less than 951, yup, that's
brilliant marketing. Or maybe they really wanted to kill both
successful products, and still leave the customer dissatisfied with
having received only the "cheap" stainless.

I also wonder how stainless it is. But this caught my eye..
"Reynolds is also rolling out to its customers who are typically custom
framebuilders without access to sophisticated computer modelling tools a
programme called eReynolds FEA (Finite Element Analysis) which will
enable them to 'build' their frames in virtual form to test the
feasibility of tubing and joining options before expensively committing
to physical prototypes."

I wonder whether some more adventurous frame designs come about as a
result. Years ago there was a local frame builder who designed what he
called a "Compuframe", IIRC. The seat stays crossed the seat tube and
joined the top tube 4-5 inches along. Although I rode one of these
frames for a while, it didn't stand out as feeling particularly
different from the previous steel frame I had (another locally made 531
lugged frame).

--
JS.
Old September 9th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Sep 8, 7:39*pm, James wrote:
On 9/09/2011 11:45 AM, Andre Jute wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/43047-mo...s-gilles-berth...
and scroll down.

Reynolds 931 "cheap stainless"
Twenty per cent more than 853, ten per cent less than 951, yup, that's
brilliant marketing. Or maybe they really wanted to kill both
successful products, and still leave the customer dissatisfied with
having received only the "cheap" stainless.

I also wonder how stainless it is. *But this caught my eye..
"Reynolds is also rolling out to its customers who are typically custom
framebuilders without access to sophisticated computer modelling tools a
programme called eReynolds FEA (Finite Element Analysis) which will
enable them to 'build' their frames in virtual form to test the
feasibility of tubing and joining options before expensively committing
to physical prototypes."

Right -- FEA for frame building. Most of the builders I know or have
known build off of jigs and use geometries and joinery that has been
around forever. Ain't rocket surgery, as Peter used to say. With
that said, half of the Bohemians winning the prize at the latest
"handmade bicycle" show have built maybe four frames -- but they were
super cool looking frames! Great paint, great lugs -- but gawd only
knows whether the joints are filled or the frame is over-cooked. These
guys don't need FEA. They need some shop classes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 9th 11, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 9/09/2011 1:14 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:39 pm, wrote:
[...]

I understand what you say, however I suspect the dude that built my
current steel frame is far more savvy than the Bohemians you speak of.

http://www.gelliecustombikeframes.co...lie-custom.htm

--
JS.

Old September 9th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sep 8, 10:39*pm, James wrote:
[...]

Nashbar sold a frame that fit that description in (IIRC) the early
1990s. One of my friends owns one. He bought it because it was
inexpensive, on sale.

I think it's another one of those ideas (like frames with curved seat
tubes and ultra-short wheelbases, "curly stays," "zertz" inserts,
etc.) that enjoyed some brief attention, but gave no practical
benefit.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 9th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

James wrote:
[...]

Old design. Hetchins "Hellenic Triangle"

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...lenic-kh1a.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 9th 11, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 9/09/2011 2:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

Wow! That's the sort of thing.

I chatted to a mate who's got a:
http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bik.../standard.html

I looked at it for a moment and said, "I bet it's comfortable." He said
it is the most comfy road bike he's ridden.

I wonder if a similar design could be made in steel, and whether it
would also be more comfortable than having the stays in the traditional
position. My guess is it allows the seat post to rotate further under
load. Only testing would reveal actual differences of course.

--
JS.
Old September 9th 11, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

James wrote:
[...]

Wow! *That's the sort of thing.

I chatted to a mate who's got a:http://www.bmc-racing.com/int-en/bik...racemachine/rm...

I looked at it for a moment and said, "I bet it's comfortable." *He said
it is the most comfy road bike he's ridden.

I wonder if a similar design could be made in steel, and whether it
would also be more comfortable than having the stays in the traditional
position. *My guess is it allows the seat post to rotate further under
load. *Only testing would reveal actual differences of course.

--
JS.

You want a steel frame with pencil stays. I use one, but the wheel
has to be top notch (when one is 14st ) or things are too soft at the
back making the rear end track one way then the other when climbing at
a not too frenetic cadence. Squaring off the chainstays helps reduce
excessive flexing, but it's usually an accepted comprimise with
steel.