Axle wobble?

Old May 1st 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Default Axle wobble?

https://youtu.be/1hE3LCz0VMY

I tried a different freewheel cluster with the same wobble.

What should I replace?

That's a Mongoose Fireball 20.

Thanks.
Old May 1st 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/1/2016 3:17 PM, John Doe wrote:
https://youtu.be/1hE3LCz0VMY

I tried a different freewheel cluster with the same wobble.

What should I replace?

That's a Mongoose Fireball 20.

Thanks.

Nice video, very clear.

May well not be the freewheel.
Remove freewheel, slip wheel back into bike, spin wheel.
Are the freewheel threads off center? That would indicate
either worn or loose hub bearing, perhaps with bent or
broken axle.

Although it is possible to have a poorly machined hub shell
or a defective freewheel, both are less likely than hub
bearing troubles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 2nd 16, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 4:29:03 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/1/2016 3:17 PM, John Doe wrote:
https://youtu.be/1hE3LCz0VMY

I tried a different freewheel cluster with the same wobble.

What should I replace?

That's a Mongoose Fireball 20.

Thanks.

Nice video, very clear.

May well not be the freewheel.
Remove freewheel, slip wheel back into bike, spin wheel.
Are the freewheel threads off center? That would indicate
either worn or loose hub bearing, perhaps with bent or
broken axle.

Although it is possible to have a poorly machined hub shell
or a defective freewheel, both are less likely than hub
bearing troubles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

yeah lookit the cogs....bent axle ..........yawl been hauling your elephant around ?
Old May 2nd 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

THE MONGOOSE FIREBALL

http://goo.gl/uXTup0

HERE'S THE CROWD REACTION TO A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE FREE HUB

http://goo.gl/QauZgo

Old May 2nd 16, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the mongoose fireball....

for several years I rode touring commuting shopping on a freewheel. WHEELS MFG axles improved the design's sensitivity to load/curvingpotholesvariousundulations.

I have not learned to set a free hub as easy rolling as the freewheel. A miss.

What to try is disassemble, clean axle n roll on plate glass or a 'flat surface'

WHEELS axles are stronger n more malleable. A bent WHEELS axle set in a vise is adjusted straight...I used a short handle 11 pound engineer's hammer from Home Dept

Solid rear axle or quick release axle soup UK 5 July 30th 09 10:16 AM
Axle slipping when tightening track hub axle nut mickster Techniques 10 February 21st 06 01:18 AM
Wobble! Eroick Unicycling 6 September 28th 05 03:54 AM
new Zipp Disc track axle/road axle interchageability Gemma_k Techniques 2 April 24th 05 12:52 PM
OK, who is "I WOBBLE"? tholub Unicycling 9 January 21st 05 10:36 AM