postcard

Old December 31st 17, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default postcard

I have now reformed the bike business into a
DIY workshop. Hopefully this won't mean all the
gear disappear or get abused first thing...

Here is a postcard from the hight of its glory.
Note the sawhorse, the train in the background,
and the down jacket from the port door - the
down jacket, which isn't needed when doing
that...

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/work-...oasen-wood.jpg

HNY!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old January 1st 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&....0.JrkuSLIK9Rk

Old January 1st 18, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

avagadro wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&....0.JrkuSLIK9Rk

Everyone welcome! I have virtually all the
tools and if anyone has questions I'll just
patch them to you guys and have the answers
handed out as bedtime reading

Old January 1st 18, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Repack with new bearings

Visit local race shop n check that on rack rolling with Yours
Old January 1st 18, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/1/2018 1:11 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
avagadro wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&....0.JrkuSLIK9Rk

Everyone welcome! I have virtually all the
tools and if anyone has questions I'll just
patch them to you guys and have the answers
handed out as bedtime reading

Speaking of reading: It may be worthwhile to accumulate a little library
of bike repair books. Buying from a source like this would make them
inexpensive:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...repair&isbn =

Of course, some of those books are much better than others. I think this
one is unusually good:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...cycle+re pair

If those were on your shelves, your friends might have far fewer questions.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 1st 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

avagadro wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&....0.JrkuSLIK9Rk

Everyone welcome! I have virtually all the
tools and if anyone has questions I'll just
patch them to you guys and have the answers
handed out as bedtime reading

Speaking of reading: It may be worthwhile to accumulate a little library
of bike repair books. Buying from a source like this would make them
inexpensive:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...repair&isbn =

Of course, some of those books are much better than others. I think this
one is unusually good:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...cycle+re pair

If those were on your shelves, your friends might have far fewer questions.

Thanks for the link to the Park Tool "big blue" books. I have found
their website to be reliable and extremely helpful, so I would expect
the book to also be very good.

And this discussion reminds me that in the 1980's I bought Eugene
Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" and "The All New Complete Book of
Bicycling". And later there was Brank Berto's "Upgrading Your Bike".
Times have changed...

Ned
Old January 1st 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

avagadro wrote:

[...]

Personally, I never liked Eugene Sloane's books. It seemed to me he was
wordy, rambling and inaccurate.

One of my "favorite" passages was him explaining that some wheels and
tires were labeled 700C because they were 700 centimeters in diameter. (!)

I enjoyed Fred DeLong's books and articles. I think he was the first
bicycling engineer I came across. And Frank Berto was wonderful.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 1st 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

avagadro wrote:

[...]

I gave the Big Blue book to my friend a couple of years ago as a birthday present. Although it is a decent book I was not impressed; all basic stuff. A book can't possibly keep up with all the new developments, brands and types of all bike parts. You have to go online for that.
Half a year ago I build a bike for a friend from scratch with the new Dura Ace gruppo. All went well until the adjustment of the front derailleur. WTF??? was that. The annoying thing is/was that there was no instruction in the box. They expect you to go online for that. Unfortunately Shimano, Campagnolo ab SRAM gave all terrible websites.

Lou
Old January 2nd 18, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of reading: It may be worthwhile to
accumulate a little library of bike repair
books. [...]

If those were on your shelves, your friends
might have far fewer questions.

Sorry to disappoint you but the only question
I get is "Do you have an X?"

That said, we do have a small bookshelf!
Not just bike books but also a few on carpentry
and other practical fields.

The books even have stamps from the
organization so no one will "borrow" them
permanently! It remains to be seen what
criminal mastermind will first penetrate this
fortress of defense...

The books we have on bikes a

%%%% bikes

@book{complete-road-bike-maintenance,
author = {Guy Andrews},
ISBN = {978 1 4081 7093 9},
publisher = {Bloomsbury},
title = {Complete Road Bike Maintenance},
year = 2013
}

@book{en-cyklo-pedi,
author = {Johan Tell},
ISBN = {978-91-1-307337-8},
publisher = {Nordstedt},
title = {En cyklo pedi},
year = 2016
}

@book{effective-cycling,
author = {John Forester},
ISBN = {978-0-262-51694-5},
publisher = {Cambridge},
title = {Effective Cycling},
year = 2012
}

@book{bike,
author = {Daniel Benson and Richard Moore},
ISBN = 9781781312346,
publisher = {Aurum},
title = {Bike! A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling Designers},
year = 2014
}

@book{cykelbok,
author = {Staffan Skott},