Presta Tube In Schraeder-Drilled Rim: Workaround?

Old March 21st 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Presta Tube In Schraeder-Drilled Rim: Workaround?

Been using Presta-valved tubes in the Schraeder-drilled rims on
my utility bike for years with no problems.

Last couple days, I've torn out two valve stems.

Seems like the bigger hole is putting a load on the rubber around
the base of the stem and there needs tb something more solid to
take that load.

My thought is to screw on a retaining ring all the way so that it
is inside the tire casing when the tube is inflated.

viz: http://tinyurl.com/2zzfsu

That would certainly relieve the stress on the tube.

But what about the tub's having to wrap around it under pressure?

Anybody done this with success over the long haul?
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 21st 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

there's a presta grommet, try yellow jersey or universal cycles.
more likely a burr around there.
grommet, round file, triangulatr file, layer of Goop, a dash of newt.
Old March 21st 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 21, 12:20*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Been using Presta-valved tubes in the Schraeder-drilled rims on
my utility bike for years with no problems.

Last couple days, I've torn out two valve stems.

Seems like the bigger hole is putting a load on the rubber around
the base of the stem and there needs tb something more solid to
take that load.

My thought is to screw on a retaining ring all the way so that it
is inside the tire casing when the tube is inflated.

viz:http://tinyurl.com/2zzfsu

That would certainly relieve the stress on the tube.

But what about the tub's having to wrap around it under pressure?

Anybody done this with success over the long haul?
--
PeteCresswell

Dang, bite the bullet and buy the $.60 grommet.
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='1652-00'

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 21st 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Been using Presta-valved tubes in the Schraeder-drilled rims on
my utility bike for years with no problems.

Last couple days, I've torn out two valve stems.

Seems like the bigger hole is putting a load on the rubber around
the base of the stem and there needs tb something more solid to
take that load.

My thought is to screw on a retaining ring all the way so that it
is inside the tire casing when the tube is inflated.

viz: http://tinyurl.com/2zzfsu

That would certainly relieve the stress on the tube.

But what about the tub's having to wrap around it under pressure?

Anybody done this with success over the long haul?

I had the same problem. I use velox cloth rimtape. It has a valve hole
that has a tight fit around the valve stem. It keeps the rubber away
from the sharp edge of the rim hole.

Lou
Old March 21st 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Just A User

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Been using Presta-valved tubes in the Schraeder-drilled rims on
my utility bike for years with no problems.

Last couple days, I've torn out two valve stems.

Seems like the bigger hole is putting a load on the rubber around
the base of the stem and there needs tb something more solid to
take that load.

My thought is to screw on a retaining ring all the way so that it
is inside the tire casing when the tube is inflated.

viz: http://tinyurl.com/2zzfsu

That would certainly relieve the stress on the tube.

But what about the tub's having to wrap around it under pressure?

Anybody done this with success over the long haul?

I have been using these on a hybrid / discomfort bike I used for
commuting and errands. They work good for me. And being metal they will
last almost forever.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20Accessories

good luck
Old March 21st 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Been using Presta-valved tubes in the Schraeder-drilled rims on
my utility bike for years with no problems.
Last couple days, I've torn out two valve stems.
Seems like the bigger hole is putting a load on the rubber around
the base of the stem and there needs tb something more solid to
take that load.
My thought is to screw on a retaining ring all the way so that it
is inside the tire casing when the tube is inflated.
viz: http://tinyurl.com/2zzfsu
That would certainly relieve the stress on the tube.
But what about the tub's having to wrap around it under pressure?
Anybody done this with success over the long haul?

In electronics, there's a rubber or vinyl panel grommet (for passing
wires through panels) which fits exactly, well under a buck.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 21st 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

A Muzi wrote:

In electronics, there's a rubber or vinyl panel grommet (for passing
wires through panels) which fits exactly, well under a buck.

Sometimes you can get away without the grommets for years with no
problem, sometimes it destroys the valve stem if you don't use a
grommet. It may depend on the exact position of the valve in the hole,
or maybe it's related to lunar tides.

I've bought these recently at Home Depot for this purpose. I don't
remember the size. Loose Screws says "3/8" outside diameter, 1/4" inside
diameter." Radio Shack might sell them still, I don't know.

Harbor Freight sells 180 grommets for $4.99,
"http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46724".
You just never know when you're going to need a grommet, so keep plenty
on hand.
Old March 21st 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Mar 21, 12:20 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Been using Presta-valved tubes in the Schraeder-drilled rims on
my utility bike for years with no problems.

Last couple days, I've torn out two valve stems.

Seems like the bigger hole is putting a load on the rubber around
the base of the stem and there needs tb something more solid to
take that load.

My thought is to screw on a retaining ring all the way so that it
is inside the tire casing when the tube is inflated.

viz:http://tinyurl.com/2zzfsu

That would certainly relieve the stress on the tube.

But what about the tub's having to wrap around it under pressure?

Anybody done this with success over the long haul?
--
PeteCresswell

Dang, bite the bullet and buy the $.60 grommet.
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='1652-00'

Every person using grommets is silently voting for compulsory grommets.
Old March 22nd 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 21, 3:09*pm, SMS wrote:
A Muzi wrote:
In electronics, there's a rubber or vinyl panel grommet (for passing
wires through panels) which fits exactly, well under a buck.

Sometimes you can get away without the grommets for years with no
problem, sometimes it destroys the valve stem if you don't use a
grommet. It may depend on the exact position of the valve in the hole,
or maybe it's related to lunar tides.

I've bought these recently at Home Depot for this purpose. I don't
remember the size. Loose Screws says "3/8" outside diameter, 1/4" inside
diameter." Radio Shack might sell them still, I don't know.

Harbor Freight sells 180 grommets for $4.99,
"http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46724"..
You just never know when you're going to need a grommet, so keep plenty
on hand.

And you will need all 180 because 179 will fall apart shortly after
you open the box. They are made of goat intestines or dead Chinese
dissidents or something like that. The local Harbor Fright store is
like a weird flea market filled with $15 Chinese circular saws. I
bought a roto-zip knock off I expect to last for about eight minutes,
which is three minutes longer than I need it. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 22nd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 21, 4:10 pm, SMS wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

Compulsory Grommet Laws reduce participation in cycling.

Get all the unbiased facts he

http://www.cyclinggrommets.org