Wrong-way brake levers

Old March 27th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wrong-way brake levers

Why do so many of the brake levers on these French porteur bikes face
forward instead of backward?

Style? Internal cable routing? Some mechanical advantage?

Is it just a French thing? They look like a different design, not just
a backwards mount.

Page with lots of them:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

Examples:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra..._grandluxe.jpg

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...alparisien.jpg

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...1950_shift.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...inger_1950.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...inger_1960.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/bikes/ima...motobecane.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...orteur_052.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...orteur_056.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 27th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 27, 5:50*pm, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 3/27/2008 2:07 PM wrote:

Why do so many of the brake levers on these French porteur bikes face
forward instead of backward?

[snip]

Page with lots of them:
*http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

Cool bikes. Probably total clunkers to ride, though.

My 19 y/o son likes older bikes. Has an old Raleigh, a-and a "record
player," too.

Ah! 'e would love to 'ave a French porteur bikes! The styling! The
mudguards and chain guards and swept back 'andlebars with big
bullet-shaped chrome headlights! Of course, being 19, 'e 'as no
monee!(shrug), so it cannot be.

He and a friend bought a Flying Pigeon bike, made in China. Thing fell
apart in a couple months. Heap of rusted pipes and galvanized hardware.
Spokes as big around as 12 penny nails.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

I'm with your son. Broke, digging the styling and loving those
fenders. The swept-back bars don't do it for me, but the chrome
fenders molded to the bike and tire size were darn cool!! My townie
has planet bike freddie fenders. I had to cut them up to get the
front to fit, so I figure it's got another year left (I've had it 2).
They're also ok for 26"-700c tires, which just doesn't look good no
matter what size it ends up on. I'd love a set of nice aluminum
fenders made for my bike and that one tire size. I've actually
considering having them fabricated, but my machine shop fabricating
favor pool is a little shallow at the moment with some favors I've
pulled in the last year or so with the motorcycle. I need another
boating/fishing/kayaking/riding season to re-tilt the favor scale my
way. I'm also concerned the partially rusted and wholly abused frame
would quit right as I got the fenders.
Old March 27th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:09:01 -0600, A Muzi

Why do so many of the brake levers on these French porteur bikes face
forward instead of backward?

Style? Internal cable routing? Some mechanical advantage?

Is it just a French thing? They look like a different design, not just
a backwards mount.

Page with lots of them:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

Examples:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra..._grandluxe.jpg

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...alparisien.jpg

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...1950_shift.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...inger_1950.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...inger_1960.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/bikes/ima...motobecane.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...orteur_052.jpg
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierra...orteur_056.jpg

Fashion. It's a current product:
http://www.e-cycle.co.jp/goods/detai...36&genre=1

Dear Andrew,

Thanks--so they're fashionable brake levers found on French utility
bikes, still available from Japan--that's just plain weird.

There are examples in "The Data Book" from France in 1950 and 1951
on pages 115 and 149.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 27th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

On 3/27/2008 2:07 PM wrote:
Why do so many of the brake levers on these French porteur bikes face
forward instead of backward?

[snip]
Page with lots of them:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
Cool bikes. Probably total clunkers to ride, though.

My 19 y/o son likes older bikes. Has an old Raleigh, a-and a "record
player," too.

Ah! 'e would love to 'ave a French porteur bikes! The styling! The
mudguards and chain guards and swept back 'andlebars with big
bullet-shaped chrome headlights! Of course, being 19, 'e 'as no
monee!(shrug), so it cannot be.

He and a friend bought a Flying Pigeon bike, made in China. Thing fell
apart in a couple months. Heap of rusted pipes and galvanized hardware.
Spokes as big around as 12 penny nails.

Yep, Roadsters are an acquired taste. Like so many things, many love 'em
and many hate 'em. YMMV
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 27th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:50:35 -0700, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:

On 3/27/2008 2:07 PM wrote:

Why do so many of the brake levers on these French porteur bikes face
forward instead of backward?

[snip]

Page with lots of them:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

Cool bikes. Probably total clunkers to ride, though.

My 19 y/o son likes older bikes. Has an old Raleigh, a-and a "record
player," too.

Ah! 'e would love to 'ave a French porteur bikes! The styling! The
mudguards and chain guards and swept back 'andlebars with big
bullet-shaped chrome headlights! Of course, being 19, 'e 'as no
monee!(shrug), so it cannot be.

He and a friend bought a Flying Pigeon bike, made in China. Thing fell
apart in a couple months. Heap of rusted pipes and galvanized hardware.
Spokes as big around as 12 penny nails.

Dear Mike,

Curious, I looked into Flying Pigeon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pigeon

Ominously, clicking on the first external link produces a virus
warning from AVG.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 27th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
Thanks--so they're fashionable brake levers found on French utility
bikes, still available from Japan--that's just plain weird.
There are examples in "The Data Book" from France in 1950 and 1951
on pages 115 and 149.

The trendy youth among us ride fixies with no brakes. Once they wise up,
the second-trendiest style is a time trial handlebar with one of those
levers out at the end.
Triathlon aero bars accept them as well. They've been in constant
production since forever by various makers; the French models you note,
Japanese schoolboy bikes of the sixties and '70s, triathlon '80s to
present, urban fixies, etc.

Here are yet other variants:
http://www.jtekengineering.com/Jtek_Brake_Levers.htm
http://www.slowtwitch.com/images/mak...makeover11.jpg
Old March 28th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
Thanks--so they're fashionable brake levers found on French utility
bikes, still available from Japan--that's just plain weird.
There are examples in "The Data Book" from France in 1950 and 1951
on pages 115 and 149.

This bike just rolled in my door:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/daily.html
Old March 28th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:20:46 -0600, A Muzi

wrote:
Thanks--so they're fashionable brake levers found on French utility
bikes, still available from Japan--that's just plain weird.
There are examples in "The Data Book" from France in 1950 and 1951
on pages 115 and 149.

This bike just rolled in my door:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/daily.html

Dear Andrew,

Yes, "rolled" seems like the right word.

Sell him some pedals.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 28th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
Yes, "rolled" seems like the right word.
Sell him some pedals.

Done. Gear cable too.