May Need to Institute a Photography Ban on My Commute Bicycle

Old March 9th 14, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default May Need to Institute a Photography Ban on My Commute Bicycle

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 8:05:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
http://goo.gl/reSsby

it's the seasonable weather Frank lives with......

Old March 9th 14, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/8/2014 7:07 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:48:47 -0800, sms
wrote:

I always get comments and questions about my lighting but now people are
asking if they can photograph my bicycle so they can remember how to
duplicate some of the stuff on there.

Print a handbill featuring a photograph of your machine and hand them
out. Include sources, prices, links, and construction details around
the periphery of the photo. On the back, provide a price list and
ordering info for things you are selling or representing. Charge 25
cents to cover the printing costs or $1 for an autographed copy. A
business card with your URL on it would probably suffice, but you
can't easily charge for that. Whatever you do, don't sign a photo
copyright release.

Despite r.b.t.'s resident village idiot's continued insistence to the
contrary, I don't sell or represent any of the stuff that I mention on
rec.bicycles.tech..

Last week there was an Intel photo shoot going on at Tech Shop San Jose
and the crew wanted me to sign a release in case I was in their video,
but I refused, explaining that I no longer give out autographs for free
and I was concerned that they would try to sell the copy of my signature
for thousands of dollars.
Old March 9th 14, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Yes, life is tuff up here....driving muh 544 I am approached by hordes, the regular crowd blah blah blah gets so you know time consuming. Every looookks at you .....Fred Fred lookit the old car....

People want $$$. Gimme money Gimme money.... Doahn givum $$$ daze upset....givum $$$ day bite your leg for more $$$$.

it's bizzare !
Old March 9th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 12:36:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Yes, life is tuff up here....driving muh 544 I am approached by hordes, the regular crowd blah blah blah gets so you know time consuming. Every looookks at you .....Fred Fred lookit the old car....

People want $$$. Gimme money Gimme money.... Doahn givum $$$ daze upset....givum $$$ day bite your leg for more $$$$.

it's bizzare !

then shopping Walmart....'she'll **** you...'she'll **** you..'she'll **** you"

oh good ! instant gratification.

"YOU CAN'T DO THIS...YOU CAN'T DO THAT .....YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE WE DOAHN LET PEOPLE LIKE YOU DO THAT HERE (unless you give us $$$ ) OUR PEOPLE DO THIS"

GOOD THING WE LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY!

maybe Iceland.......
Old March 9th 14, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:48:47 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
This morning I rode over to the local Electronics Flea Market

http://www.electronicsfleamarket.com/ as I do every month when it occurs.

I always get comments and questions about my lighting but now people are

asking if they can photograph my bicycle so they can remember how to

duplicate some of the stuff on there.

Two people asked me about the light bracket (fabricated from two conduit

clamps, some heat-shrink tubing, and a nut& bolt). One seller said that

she used to sell the same kind of USB rechargeable, 360 degree rear LED

light I am using http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GAXXUU.

Of course there were questions on where to buy the 500 lumen, spot to

flood, four mode front light

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-500-Lumen-Flashlight-3-pack.product.100049686.html.

Next month I may make up some half-page fliers with all the information.

Later in the day we rode to Shallow Alto for lunch, about 18 miles each

way. I'd say that the percentage of riders with daytime flashers is up

to about 40% for recreational riders, and my 500 "Chilumen"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chilumen light was by

no means the brightest flasher. Saw one of the Bay Area Bike Share

bicycles and they all come with front flashers.

Maybe just maybe they want photos of your kludges so that they can launch a lawsuit against you or recommending dangerous solutions to proper lights.

Cheers
Old March 9th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, March 9, 2014 5:11:26 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 21:33:05 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski

wrote:

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 8:48:47 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

... more of the "guerrilla marketing" he brags about on his website.

And I guessed what it was from the thread topic, before I even saw

who had posted it.

- Frank Krygowski

Aw Frank, you're just jealous that nobody wants to photograph your

bicycle :-)

Think of it.

Folks clustering around; people with gigantic camera lenses pushing

and shoving to be in the front of the crowd; blokes squirming between

the spectators trying to see what is going on; fights breaking out;

the arrival of the riot squad; arrests; cameras impounded; cries of

pain, screams of anguish.

To photograph a Chinese made bicycle light :-(

People want photos of my commuter, but only after leaving their initials or "wash me" in the dirt. http://tinyurl.com/kc5a8s9

O.K., I saw maybe a hundred cyclists yesterday, many of whom had little flashers -- but then again, it was overcast and started raining mid-morning. Many, if not most, were also in yellow-green-fluorescent-vomit colored jackets, vests, etc. A lot of them also had mirrors.

Yes, I got trapped in a Portland Wheelmen ride -- a virtual dork vortex. I was riding with a couple of friends on the same "route" (out along the Clackamas River). When we pulled by various pockets of Wheelmen riders, they would fall in behind us like so many ducklings -- no greeting, no nothing. Most would drop off after a while, but we ended up in the middle of nowhere with three or four stronger riders who said nothing and who would drop back anytime it became apparent we wanted them to pull through. It was freakish.. Anyway, we stopped briefly, and these guys stopped with us -- apparently because they thought we were leading the ride. I let them know we were not leading any ride (except our own), which freaked them out because they did not know where they were. One guy wanted to know where a certain road was, and I told him I didn't know . . . because I didn't. I wanted to say "get the f*** away from me." For all I know, they could still be circling the woods in Clackamas County.

I don't care if people draft me if there is a little "hey, how are you" etc.., and they trade off. Getting followed by a line of silent zombies who refuse to pull through is just too weird.

-- Jay Beattie
Old March 9th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately bicycles and weirdness are not mutual exclusive. I've had
people fall behind and draft me on my commute home. Nearly always into the
wind. But they typically say thanks or something.

Maybe these Wheelmen are the twits that we hear about that don't know
what a door zone is or not to ride in blind spots.

--
duane
Old March 9th 14, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/9/2014 10:36 AM, jbeattie wrote:

People want photos of my commuter, but only after leaving their initials or "wash me" in the dirt. http://tinyurl.com/kc5a8s9

O.K., I saw maybe a hundred cyclists yesterday, many of whom had little flashers -- but then again, it was overcast and started raining mid-morning. Many, if not most, were also in yellow-green-fluorescent-vomit colored jackets, vests, etc. A lot of them also had mirrors.

Yes, I got trapped in a Portland Wheelmen ride -- a virtual dork vortex.

Heh, we got trapped in something like that on Shallow Alto's Bryant
Street Bike Boulevard. Argh, those clothes are enough to irritate motorists.

Old March 9th 14, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/9/2014 10:36 AM, jbeattie wrote:

People want photos of my commuter, but only after leaving their initials or "wash me" in the dirt. http://tinyurl.com/kc5a8s9

You may want to make up some of these signs:
http://oi57.tinypic.com/20h841x.jpg
Old March 9th 14, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I never darft a stranger. I'll only draft someone whom I ridden with and whom I kn ow has good riding habits. Drzfting an unknown Fred who then slows suddenly or swerves can be very detrimental to the health of oneself and/or their bicycle.

Cheers

Some sense (at last) from the Institute of Advanced Motorists Tom Crispin UK 9 August 30th 09 12:02 PM
It's Time to Re-Institute the Draft! Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 5 November 1st 07 01:13 AM
It's Time to Re-Institute the Draft! Mike Vandeman Social Issues 5 November 1st 07 01:13 AM
first commute by bicycle Adam Lea UK 93 April 12th 06 09:40 AM
Institute of Advanced Speeders Tony Raven UK 6 December 24th 04 03:29 PM