Bike Friday

Old March 20th 14, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Bike Friday

A good friend is contemplating the buying of a folding bike to keep on
the boat on which he lives.

He currently has a conventional mountain bike but reckons that it
takes up too much space and the folding bike will take up less storage
space as well as being easier to transport if one is anchored and
commuting with the shore by dinghy.

Apparently he has found a dealer in Singapore for the "Bike Friday"
models and seems to be leaning toward buying that make.

I had a look at their web site and apparently they make several models
with three different propulsion systems - conventional derailer,
Shimano geared hub and the NuVinci continuously variable hub.

Questions:

Does anyone know anything pro or con about the Bike Friday make.

Which transmission system is better, taking into consideration that he
may be in widely varying locations (he just completed a
circumnavigation) with mountains in one spot and flat desert in the
next. Initially I have suggested a triple chain ring with a 9 speed
cassette as the widest possible and thus most flexible arrangement.

I have, initially, argued against the NuVinci rear hub as I don't
believe that it has a very extensive range of ratios and the article
I read says it weighs 8 pounds. anyone have a positive experience with
this device?

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 20th 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:53:05 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
Does anyone know anything pro or con about the Bike Friday make.

Not much help. But Bike Friday is well known as a folding bike. Been around for a long time. Everything I have seen or heard about them has been quality. They have been used for around the world tours so they are tough and work. Not cheap but quality.

The internal gear hub seems like it would be the best over derailleurs for a folding bike. You might check if they use the Rohloff internal hub. It is the premium internal hub and does have a wide gear range.
Old March 20th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:53:05 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
[...]

We bought two matching Bike Friday New World Tourists about six years ago.
We've used them pretty extensively for two trips in Europe, used them more
casually on another trip, and used them dozens of times while traveling in the
U.S. They're now the only bikes we take when traveling, either overseas or by
car.

I shopped quite a while before choosing these. IMO, they ride far better than
any of the other 8 or so folding bikes I tested. But note, one typically does
not get to test ride the bike one buys, since the normal scheme is to have the
bike built to your specifications. I test rode a Pocket Rocket at a shop in
(IIRC) North Carolina, but bought New World Tourists.

The bikes have done very well, with only the tiniest maintenance problems -
specifically, related to getting the long cable housings pinched during folding
and unfolding, and getting chainrings slightly bent when the bikes travel
airlines in their suitcases. No other problems that I recall.

When buying a Friday, you first take measurements of a bike you own and like.
They duplicate the fit. But when we bought ours, there was also a long,
friendly, helpful and thorough phone consultation process with a sales advisor
- in my case, Walter. He really did walk me through all of the many equipment
choices, discussing pros & cons and advising based on my description of our
riding. Your friend would probably go through a similar process, assuming time
zones permitted that. I disagreed with Walter on only one item: he recommended
upgrading to a Chris King headset, and I resisted. My headset's been fine,
except needing re-tightened once or twice. But his advice on brakes &
transmission were very good.

Regarding the transmission: Based on the distance we rode and on the touring
loads we intended, he recommended a 3x9 derailleur. This included Shimano's
Capreo 9 speed cassette, which goes down to 9 teeth, to make up for the small
wheel diameter. I suppose that's my main worry, that the Capreo cogs will
become unavailable some day. But the gears have worked well. Of course, the
lowest gear is fantastically low - fine by me & my wife.

There's no danger we'll forget we're on folding bikes; the ride is a bit
different. I especially notice the fore-aft flex in the super-tall steel
stem. But we're well satisfied, and it seems most owners are satisfied as
well. There are quite a few well-known cyclists who own and like Fridays,
people who are much stronger riders than I.

There's an email list for Friday-interested folks, at
http://www.bikefriday.com/community/the_yak
Your friend can sign up and get all sorts of advice on equipment, etc.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 20th 14, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Made in Eugene, Oregon. Say no more. Comes with roach clip. http://www.bikefriday.com/contact_us

Old March 20th 14, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/20/2014 7:45 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:53:05 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
Does anyone know anything pro or con about the Bike Friday make.

Not much help. But Bike Friday is well known as a folding bike. Been around for a long time. Everything I have seen or heard about them has been quality. They have been used for around the world tours so they are tough and work. Not cheap but quality.

The internal gear hub seems like it would be the best over derailleurs for a folding bike. You might check if they use the Rohloff internal hub. It is the premium internal hub and does have a wide gear range.

Also look at Tern, which was started by Josh Hon, son of DaHon founder
David Hon.

For a touring bicycle see http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/link-p24h
and http://www.nycewheels.com/tern-folding-bike-link-p24h.html to see
the price.

Dahon had a good touring model at one time, the Speed TR, but it's been
discontinued. It actually had several advantages over the Bike Friday
New World Tourist,
http://www.nycewheels.com/dahon-folding-bike-speed-tr.html.

Not sure if Bike Friday has a touring model that combines a rear
derailleur and an internal rear hub like Dahon and Tern have had. The
New World Tourist uses a front derailleur.
Old March 21st 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:54:43 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:

Not sure if Bike Friday has a touring model that combines a rear
derailleur and an internal rear hub like Dahon and Tern have had. The
New World Tourist uses a front derailleur.

The New World Tourist uses whatever the customer specifies. Many people use
them without front derailleurs.
See "DualDrive 3sp hub w/Deraileur 24, 27 or 30sp" at
http://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/search

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 21st 14, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/20/2014 12:30 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Made in Eugene, Oregon. Say no more. Comes with roach clip. http://www.bikefriday.com/contact_us

That is a big plus. Support U.S. companies when possible.

The positive and negative about Bike Friday is the custom fit. You can't
change the riding position or sell it to someone that needs a different
stem (well they will sell you a replacement stem so that's not entirely
true). And for touring, often you do want to change your position during
a tour.

Tern has the Andros stem which is adjustable in both reach and height
though not to the extent of the old Dahons (which no longer have the
adjustable height steer tube.

I also came to like not having a front derailleur. A rear derailleur
combined with an internal rear hub, to give you sufficient gear range,
is better than a front derailleur in terms of packing and travel though
more trouble for rear wheel flat repair. Also, it's easier to replace a
broken front derailleur than a broken internally geared hub. So it's a
trade-off.

Read Lynette Chiang's book, _The Handsomest Man in Cuba_
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0762743905 where she rides her Bike Friday
through Cuba.
Old March 21st 14, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:24:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:53:05 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
A good friend is contemplating the buying of a folding bike to keep on
the boat on which he lives.

Snipped
There's no danger we'll forget we're on folding bikes; the ride is a bit
different. I especially notice the fore-aft flex in the super-tall steel
stem. But we're well satisfied, and it seems most owners are satisfied as
well. There are quite a few well-known cyclists who own and like Fridays,
people who are much stronger riders than I.

There's an email list for Friday-interested folks, at
http://www.bikefriday.com/community/the_yak
Your friend can sign up and get all sorts of advice on equipment, etc.

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks for that Frank. I passed the information along to the bloke.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old March 21st 14, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 07:45:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:53:05 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
Does anyone know anything pro or con about the Bike Friday make.

Not much help. But Bike Friday is well known as a folding bike. Been around for a long time. Everything I have seen or heard about them has been quality. They have been used for around the world tours so they are tough and work. Not cheap but quality.

The internal gear hub seems like it would be the best over derailleurs for a folding bike. You might check if they use the Rohloff internal hub. It is the premium internal hub and does have a wide gear range.

They don't mention it on their site but they do build custom bikes so
if asked for they'd probably scrounge around and get you one.
--
Cheers,

John B.

New Bike Friday Tony Raven UK 0 January 24th 07 09:00 AM
Any Bike Friday owners here? [email protected] Techniques 11 October 2nd 06 05:44 PM
stolen Bike Friday [email protected] UK 3 May 17th 05 12:26 AM
2004 Bike Friday jboalick Marketplace 0 December 9th 04 06:29 PM
It's friday.. your bike should look like... hippy Australia 6 May 31st 04 02:00 PM